TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball OB off of cart path

Is the ball still considered OB if it hits the cart path and bounces out of bounds.  I've always thought it was but a buddy is saying different,  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'm pretty sure you are right on this one.  Those breaks, both good and bad, are part of the game.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

As annoying as that is, I believe you are correct and it's OB - or more generally whatever situation the ball ends up after hitting the cart path you'd deal with exactly the same as if it ended in the same position but didn't hit the cart path to get there

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

2 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I'm pretty sure you are right on this one.  Those breaks, both good and bad, are part of the game.

That was my thoughts as well.  I figured if I can gain yardage off of cart path, I can also be penalized.  I've been playing all my life and he is new so I really had my doubts.  If this was the case, I want about a 100 strokes back.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

They assessment of whether a ball is in or out of bounds, a penalty area, etc is determined by where the ball stopped and us currently sitting, not by the path it followed to get there.  There might be a few exceptions, but the cart path is not considered to be an outside influence. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I almost asked if you were kidding but I understand that it's possible for someone to not know the rules - the only way you're catching a break is if an outside agency, a bird, a dog, a person, comes along and picks your ball up - occasionally there is a local rule about a ball striking power lines but cart paths?  You get what you get with those.

BTW we had the bird thing come into play this weekend.  The course that we were playing often has birds come and steal balls in the first fairway - it happened to two of us.  That's the first ball that I've lost in over a month, too. 😞

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

I almost asked if you were kidding but I understand that it's possible for someone to not know the rules - the only way you're catching a break is if an outside agency, a bird, a dog, a person, comes along and picks your ball up - occasionally there is a local rule about a ball striking power lines but cart paths?  You get what you get with those.

BTW we had the bird thing come into play this weekend.  The course that we were playing often has birds come and steal balls in the first fairway - it happened to two of us.  That's the first ball that I've lost in over a month, too. 😞

I was playing in a tournament this past weekend and one of the guys in my group sliced his drive close to a green for a different set of 9-holes than was part of our 18-holes, and someone picked it up.  We talked to the guys and they threw the ball back to the guy how had hit the shot, and I told him to drop it in the area where they said they found it...was that the right call, or could he drop it anywhere he wanted??? with exception, of course.

• :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

4 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I was playing in a tournament this past weekend and one of the guys in my group sliced his drive close to a green for a different set of 9-holes than was part of our 18-holes, and someone picked it up.  We talked to the guys and they threw the ball back to the guy how had hit the shot, and I told him to drop it in the area where they said they found it...was that the right call, or could he drop it anywhere he wanted??? with exception, of course.

Those 9 holes are outside the boundary of the 18 your were playing and is considered OB.

I used to play a set of courses that at one point had 54 holes. Some of the holes from each course were adjacent to each other and this type of scenario would come up. Even though the holes are part of the same property they are different courses and thus any ball that crossed over is now on outside the courses boundry

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Those 9 holes are outside the boundary of the 18 your were playing and is considered OB.

I used to play a set of courses that at one point had 54 holes. Some of the holes from each course were adjacent to each other and this type of scenario would come up. Even though the holes are part of the same property they are different courses and thus any ball that crossed over is now on outside the courses boundry

Yes, I've seen and heard that before, at other courses (I actually have the not so pleasurable experience with that type of scenario, scoring a 9 on a hole because I kept fading my ball back over to the other 9-holes), but for whatever reason, there were no white stakes in this latest scenario (different course).  I'll have to check the local/course rules on the score card.  Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It will depend on the local rules if there are no OB stakes.  Typically the scorecard would indicate if there are no stakes.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

See rule 9.6. Ball goes back to original spot or an estimate of that spot 

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

We get this one on rare occasion when I play in league - number 7 is a sharp dogleg left with water guarding the dogleg. Across the water is a 9 hole short course that’s a part of the property.  It’s not marked on the card but according to the Pro is OB. 

If not OB the ball should be dropped as close to its original position as possible. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, revkev said:

We get this one on rare occasion when I play in league - number 7 is a sharp dogleg left with water guarding the dogleg. Across the water is a 9 hole short course that’s a part of the property.  It’s not marked on the card but according to the Pro is OB. 

If not OB the ball should be dropped as close to its original position as possible. 

That is the problem;  OB and penalty hazards are supposed to be marked or identified.  Unless you pro is telling everyone that plays that that area is OB then people don’t know.  Put up stakes or have a statement on the card. 

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That is the problem;  OB and penalty hazards are supposed to be marked or identified.  Unless you pro is telling everyone that plays that that area is OB then people don’t know.  Put up stakes or have a statement on the card. 

I would agree - this is the local muni though.  I think it takes an act of city council to make a change there. 🙂

seriously his comment the first time that it came up was, “it’s off the golf course, obviously it’s out of bounds. “ Thrn he wondered how someone could ever hit it there.  I actually play regularly with two guys who are fully capable of doing it. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

And the ball is placed on the spot, or the estimated spot, it is not dropped.  remember Phil this past weekend after the fan picked up his ball.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

And the ball is placed on the spot, or the estimated spot, it is not dropped.  remember Phil this past weekend after the fan picked up his ball.

I did not know that - I thought it was dropped - thanks.  That also begs the question, if I dropped rather than placed would that be a penalty?  I suspect not but will confess that I dropped when the bird stole my ball the other day. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I did not know that - I thought it was dropped - thanks.  That also begs the question, if I dropped rather than placed would that be a penalty?  I suspect not but will confess that I dropped when the bird stole my ball the other day. 🙂

I've almost certainly done it wrong myself at some point in time.  But yeah, Rule 9.6 says you must "replace" the ball in accordance with 14.2, which specifically says "The ball must be replaced by setting it down on the required spot and letting it go so that it stays on that spot."  If that procedure isn't followed, its considered playing from the Wrong Place, and carries the General Penalty.

And the only reason I remember some of this stuff is because I've been taking the USGA Rules Workshop this spring, with a potential goal of officiating golf events once I retire.  Most rules are pretty simple, but many have some details that aren't quite so simple.  This is one, if you're taking relief you drop (except on the putting green), if you're replacing the ball on a spot you place.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On the original post, as has been noted, it's where the ball comes to rest that determines its status, not how it got there. For the OP, if you want an analogy to explain it to your buddy  ... Suppose the ball hit a house located out of bounds, and caromed back to the middle of the fairway. You'd presume that's in play, and be happy, right? Now reverse it ...

20 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

On the original post, as has been noted, it's where the ball comes to rest that determines its status, not how it got there. For the OP, if you want an analogy to explain it to your buddy  ... Suppose the ball hit a house located out of bounds, and caromed back to the middle of the fairway. You'd presume that's in play, and be happy, right? Now reverse it ...

And I have had that happen - Florida has plenty of courses where uses are in play. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches