Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Precision Pro R1 Smart Rangefinder

This just came up on the main page and talk about data. The ability to get Trackman/Quad numbers and then enter in the launch angle, and speeds is just another level, even a bit more than Arcoss which is already doing the environmental data for their smart caddy yardages then applied to average club distance. Would be interested to see if this data allows them to recommend even more club for a high launch/high spin player hitting into the wind? This is the mental math that many of us estimate as best we can or not depending on how much we think about this data. This should make you feel confident about the club you take if you have all this entered. Even the simple environmental data adjustments are great, and something that I think given shot dispersion patterns is enough to make sure you have the right club in most cases.

Any other thoughts, is this just too much data for you to crunch. Worth the extra money, though Precision Pro range finders tend to be less expensive.

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-precision-pro-r1-smart-rangefinder/ 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I read the first look article and thought that it sounded very cool, but I love tech items like this.  It would be really interesting to see how accurate the calculations are.   Wind, temp, and weather conditions were a recent topic that my golf coach and I discussed.   The only thing missing would be to actually maintain the yardages you hit the clubs like Arccos. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The audible alert you get for leaving your rangefinder is definitely plus and the weather information has me intrigued.  

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Well that was really interesting.  from the Instagram teaser and the shape of it I was expect more of a Garmin-like model with the GPS built in and viewable through the viewfinder.  Which we kind of get with the front/middle/back readings.  I was not expecting something with as much input at this.  Could be really cool.  But with Arccos Caddie already working for me I'm not sure how different the results would be.  

Hopefully this will end up being a test opportunity for members.  I'm still using my NX-9 HD from member tests almost 2 years ago now.  It would be really cool to see how much difference all that data input can make, or just generally how well the GPS/Laser combo works for folks.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

43 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Well that was really interesting.  from the Instagram teaser and the shape of it I was expect more of a Garmin-like model with the GPS built in and viewable through the viewfinder.  Which we kind of get with the front/middle/back readings.  I was not expecting something with as much input at this.  Could be really cool.  But with Arccos Caddie already working for me I'm not sure how different the results would be.  

Hopefully this will end up being a test opportunity for members.  I'm still using my NX-9 HD from member tests almost 2 years ago now.  It would be really cool to see how much difference all that data input can make, or just generally how well the GPS/Laser combo works for folks.  

I agree that most likely if you have Arcoss the added data you can enter won't make it worth it, but Arcoss if you don't get sensors free is about 200 to start then 100 a year from there while this is the flat rate 320 up front for as long as you use the item. Might be worth it for those that do not want Arcoss but where going to get a new range finder anyway as noted in the article the price is lower than many range finders on the market without these features.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

5 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I agree that most likely if you have Arcoss the added data you can enter won't make it worth it, but Arcoss if you don't get sensors free is about 200 to start then 100 a year from there while this is the flat rate 320 up front for as long as you use the item. Might be worth it for those that do not want Arcoss but where going to get a new range finder anyway as noted in the article the price is lower than many range finders on the market without these features.

But this isn’t Arcoss like.  arcoss actually captures distances and makes recommendations based on how you actually hit the ball.   This you simply enter you distance and it will recommend based on the single value you provide.    

at least that is my interpretation.  

edit: went and looked at the app description and it does apparently have the ability to track average distances.  Even more interesting now.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've been looking at different apps or devices that allow more data on my game.  I want to start diving in more at what is costing me strokes.  Ofcourse I have a general idea, but the level of specificity on each part of your game and strokes gained statistics are just amazing.  

This seems like it could get you some of those things and also as a current precision pro owner, I was considering an upgrade as I really like a few of the newer features.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

I have the Arccos caddie as well and would interested in seeing what additional information I could get.  Looks interesting.

PXG Gen 4 0811X 7.5 degree Evenflow CB 50g

PXG Gen 4 0841X 3 Wood Evenflow CB 60g

PXG Gen 4 0817XF Hybrid 22 degree Evenflow 80g

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 52

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 56

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Maxfli Tour Gloss White Golf Balls

Maxfli Tour X Gloss White Golf Balls

At my ability, sometimes I feel like too much info might be a bad thing. My brain is the biggest detriment to my game. I think all the available info is really cool, but just not for me.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

But this isn’t Arcoss like.  arcoss actually captures distances and makes recommendations based on how you actually hit the ball.   This you simply enter you distance and it will recommend based on the single value you provide.    

at least that is my interpretation.  

edit: went and looked at the app description and it does apparently have the ability to track average distances.  Even more interesting now.  

Yeah, I wonder how much of it will have to do with the app vs on the device.  Might be a bit of work going between the two to tell it what club you used and where you're hitting from, etc.  It looks like we need to get a good demo of it in action, but I applaud @PrecisionProGolf for thinking outside the viewfinder and adding some features and enhancements I haven't seen elsewhere yet.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Sounds great in theory, but this is bordering on overkill

Generally yeah, it's probably overkill.  But this could be cool/useful information if you're a frequent golf traveler and go and play at several different climate/elevations. 

It would be nice to have a better Idea of what distances I should expect from going from playing here in MA versus going out to someplace like Denver where the elevation should play a significant factor on the distance.

If you're playing the same courses frequently it would be less useful as you'd be used to those general conditions.

I didn't see a mention of this, but how much of this is within the rules of golf?  I know it has  the slide to turn off slope, do we lose all the other adjustments at that point to?  

I think Arccos caddie can use data from when the round started, but can't refresh or get current winds during the round.  Although I have not tried Tournament mode with it so I'm not 100% there.  

I already reached out about trading in my NX9 slope for this. 🙂  Just so all you PP users know, you can get 30% off w/ their trade in program! Take advantage!!

I also downloaded the app and it's already pretty awesome without the new rangefinder!

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

I have been using Arccos caddie and it’s calculations for wind are really good! Issue is it doesn’t capture slope, so I love the idea of having all of this captured by one device. I’m definitely going to look at getting one, selling my Nikon to help pay for it. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Isn’t technology great.  I played this game when 6700 yards was long for most courses. We didn’t have yardage books or yards marked in the fairway.  We played by sight and feel. We walked because there wasn’t carts.  But life goes on and we must accept change.  What a great game this is.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

1 minute ago, Bob Jerabek said:

Isn’t technology great.  I played this game when 6700 yards was long for most courses. We didn’t have yardage books or yards marked in the fairway.  We played by sight and feel. We walked because there wasn’t carts.  But life goes on and we must accept change.  What a great game this is.

Love this. I grew up the same! "Where's the 150 marker?" and everything was just worked off from there. At the course I grew up playing, they just planted bushes (as many other courses have done) at 150 just so you knew. 

I personally, while I love this tech, ALSO love a good yardage book. There's something about being able to use analog paper and pencil that appeals to me in a BIG way. 

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

Sounds like a giant waste of time and money to me. In my experience range finders slow down pace of play for all types of players. I am a hacker. (16). For me and those like me the front, middle and back yardage on my GPS watch are plenty of information. And when In doubt, grab the extra club right? And I swear that none of the 3s 4s or 5s I have ever played with hit their numbers nearly often enough to justify the extra 90 seconds they would spend fiddling with one of these 18 to 24 times a round. Sewing clothing none of you really good players want to see me wait for the green to clear when I'm 230 yards out and none of us hacks want to see you fiddle throwing grass up in the air and trying to figure out the difference between two or three yards either you're not playing for money you don't need the numbers that accurate and you sure don't need temperatures and wind speeds and slopes and relative humidity and God knows what else. Play the freaking game

31 minutes ago, Nochip said:

Sounds like a giant waste of time and money to me. In my experience range finders slow down pace of play for all types of players. I am a hacker. (16). For me and those like me the front, middle and back yardage on my GPS watch are plenty of information. And when In doubt, grab the extra club right? And I swear that none of the 3s 4s or 5s I have ever played with hit their numbers nearly often enough to justify the extra 90 seconds they would spend fiddling with one of these 18 to 24 times a round. Sewing clothing none of you really good players want to see me wait for the green to clear when I'm 230 yards out and none of us hacks want to see you fiddle throwing grass up in the air and trying to figure out the difference between two or three yards either you're not playing for money you don't need the numbers that accurate and you sure don't need temperatures and wind speeds and slopes and relative humidity and God knows what else. Play the freaking game

Courses I play aren’t well marked anymore. Trust me it’s much faster for me to hit the laser while my playing partners hit and it is for me to find the nearest marker and figure out how far I think I am. 

However, I agree that a GPS watch can be faster if you just want middle locations. 

I’m no pro, but my club selection and swing are going to be different for a 100 yard or 110 yard shot.  And if I execute, I’ll take 3-4 less shots in the round to slow everyone down.  

The tech junkie in me LOVES this! It sounds very cool but I do wonder if it’s overkill.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

8 hours ago, Nochip said:

I think the idea behind this tech in the GPS side is to make it as easy as you say the GPS is. I have used Arcoss before and the adjusted distance is simply right next to the unadjusted ones. I would imagine the interface for this on your phone is similar where the calculations are done do you know that 150 shot into a slight breeze, 10 feet uphill, when is only 45° out is playing 161 say. No mental math needed no time thinking just hit that number instead. I found it made it faster once you trust it.

8 hours ago, Nochip said:

Waste of money perhaps...

Definitely not a waste of time. I have my laser hanging on my bag, I place my push cart next to the ball, it literally takes me 5 seconds to pick up the laser, shoot it and put it back in the bag. Sure, glancing at a GPS watch might be faster by what... 3 seconds?

But having a laser is definitely faster than counting steps, looking for the 100/150 marker, checking whether the flag is F/M/B, etc.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

9 hours ago, Nochip said:

Ouch! 
Versus a watch or other GPS, does it take extra time? Hmm. 5 extra seconds, probably, multiply by 18 and we have a whopping 90 extra second spent on the course! Sheesh! That REALLY slows down everyone behind over the course of a 4 1/2 hour round! Yikes! Heck I’ll even double that amount of time for two shots a hole. 3 minutes.... That is STILL less than people searching for balls/waggle 25 times/hit 9 shots per hole/grabbing a beer from the bag and cracking it open 6 times a round! 😂

I emailed Precision Pro regarding the “pre-order” and if one is charged once the pre-order is submitted, or when the R1 ships. They charge immediately so they can have appropriate stock. Items will ship in June, didn’t say early/middle/late....

Anyone know what the Precision Pro Ace is??? It has Bluetooth capability. This is a pic from their app.

D3CE1E09-EB75-4741-9266-B1F7D45ED167.png.a4409bb3ced9ff2e074730cf6a4c3444.png

Just placed my pre-order. 

Of course it's overkill. And of course my current NX9 Slope is already way more accurate that I'll ever be with any club in my bag.

Nonetheless, I'm very likely to sell my NX9 and get this. I already have two phones with me on the course. I have an old iPhone 6 with no SIM card that I use exclusively for Arccos. It's much smaller than my actual phone and so it's perfect to keep in my pocket for recording rounds and then analyzing the numbers later.

I also have my Android phone with me, normally in one of the compartments of my pushcart. If I pair this with the Android, after using my SkyTrak to input all my launch angles and spin rates for all my clubs, I'm just one hat and 100 pounds from unleashing my inner Bryson.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Of course it's overkill. And of course my current NX9 Slope is already way more accurate that I'll ever be with any club in my bag.

Nonetheless, I'm very likely to sell my NX9 and get this. I already have two phones with me on the course. I have an old iPhone 6 with no SIM card that I use exclusively for Arccos. It's much smaller than my actual phone and so it's perfect to keep in my pocket for recording rounds and then analyzing the numbers later.

I also have my Android phone with me, normally in one of the compartments of my pushcart. If I pair this with the Android, after using my SkyTrak to input all my launch angles and spin rates for all my clubs, I'm just one hat and 100 pounds from unleashing my inner Bryson.

Totally agree, overkill sure, do I want to give it a try you bet. Make sure you pack your compass.

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

The humidity and temperature are probably not out to enough decimal places for Bryson's calculations! 

Just now, B.Boston said:

The humidity and temperature are probably not out to enough decimal places for Bryson's calculations! 

I'm so dialed in that I'm afraid to remove the stickers from my arccos sensors fearing it will throw off my swing weights. Maybe I should buy this thing.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right