Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Online Fitting, Questions, Experiment

sub80

Has anyone used an online fitting system, Truefitclubs, the MGS one etc., and if so with what success.

Here is why. I have been fit with “regular” clubs and a light shaft recently. Makes sense–I’m 64 and returning to the game–though I am pretty fit for my age (vanity weightlifting stats on request).

Driver SS–94. 7 iron–82-83.

I did an on line fit for woods, and, I assume based on my transition speed and distance it fit me in an xtra stiff, heavy shaft (80gs) . I thought, no way. But–that’s what my son-in law plays. So, I borrowed his clubs. I expected abject failure. Instead, I hit it further, my average swing speed went up, and did not not lose it nearly as much to the left–when it went bad (which is my bad shot). I never hit hit a weak pop up or a slice.

This leads me to think that the heavier weight allows me to feel the shaft better, and the stiffer shaft goes less left. Any experience with on line fitting–or other explanations–welcome. I have been working a great deal on my swing, so perhaps that’s part of it.

Callaway x460 proforce purple and gold, stiff

Sub 70 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrid,

New level irons--623 mforged 5-g

elevate 95 r shaft

Mizuno SW

Seemore putter

The stiffer and heavier is a solution for those looking to get more of a fade bias or less hooky flight. 

Swing speed is a low priority variable when looking at clubs but because online tools unless using an optimizer need some data point to calculate flex it’s used for these scenarios.

Ive only used some of the online fitting tools from the club and shaft manufacturers to mess around with. The ping fit tool gets close to what I have been fit into with their clubs at outdoor fittings. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think we’ve met up in another thread because we are the same age and have similar numbers.

SS is just one element. If you have fast transition that’s another and on and on it goes. Additionally there’s more than one way to skin a cat depending upon what you’re looking to accomplish. 

I would be careful with heavy/extra stiff because you may tire quicker than you’re used to and then be out of luck at the end of the round.

That’s something to consider as well. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I would be careful with heavy/extra stiff because you may tire quicker than you’re used to and then be out of luck at the end of the round.

Definitely something to consider. It’s why UST when I was there almost 5 years ago suggested the recoil 110s over 125s in my irons.

as for driver I wouldnt do both. Going one weight range up in the same shaft is usually the recommendation.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks for the advice!  Revkev, I think you are right about the other forum.  The test I did with my son's clubs was more to see how far off the fitting was--or was it close.  It wasn't very far off.  I'm thinking of going up to a 75@ gram 6.0 shaft--not the 85 gram 7.5 my son plays.  I think I would get tired--particualrly as I walk unless it is an exceptional circumstance.

Callaway x460 proforce purple and gold, stiff

Sub 70 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrid,

New level irons--623 mforged 5-g

elevate 95 r shaft

Mizuno SW

Seemore putter