TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why No Love for Hybrids?

I am in the market to add two hybrids to the top of my bag, and there is minimal amount of information and reviews compared to all the other clubs. Also, when testing, I don't get the true totals when hitting off a mat in the sims. 

I have an Epic Flash hybrid, but it is too hot and too inconsistent for me in regards to distances. What is the best out there for forgiveness out of the rough and from the fairway? I am looking for a 180 club (4hybrid) and a 200 club (3hybrid). 

Just curious what Hybrids does everyone use? 

Edited by Nateyeight

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Despite playing a regular shaft for driver and irons I play a stiff shaft for my r15 4-hybrid. I’ve dabbled w the Mavrik, an M5, and a SIM Max recently but life always takes me back to that r15.... even after a good fitting those others just don’t give me the confidence over the profile. 

an interesting piece for me w hybrids is its important I can hit it out of the rough and some of the modern more forgiving profiles just feel too large for me to get it through. 

I’m with You good sir they’re a great weapon! 

Mike Thibideau
Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5
4-wood: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5 
4-hybrid: :taylormade-small: R15 21
Irons 5-P: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 46, 50, 54, 60
Shoes: :travis-mathew-1:MoneyMaker, Nike Roche G
Glove: Asher Golf
Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft, :callaway-small: Supersoft (conditions dependent)

I use the Srixon H85 2 and 3 models - I like them but they're an old model now. I don't play fairway woods as all of them launched too high with my swing. The 2 goes just as far as I would want a fairway wood to go.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Recently purchased the Mavrik Max and love it. Find it so easy to hit. I purchased a Hybrid about 10 years ago which I never used because I couldn't get on with it. But this Mavrik Max is going well.

Edited by benb1989

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

Some hybrids are designed for distance and some have a design to be closer to an iron replacement. TM and Callaway seem to be more on the distance side and have some pretty hot faces. Ping and until recently titleist have been more towards the iron replacement design.

Like any other club in the bag finding the right hybrid can either come via fitting or lots of testing to find a size and shape that works for the golfer then finding the right loft and shaft combo to fit the distance they are looking for and the consistency.

I have a tendency to hook hybrids so I have to find one that has a more neutral face and/or adjustable to get what I need.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have a Mizuno CLK 3h, and I had two Callaway hybrids before that. I grew up hitting long irons, and I have never been as consistent with any hybrid. When I hit it well, it’s lovely (high-long-steep descent), but I’m just not consistent with it - I’m better off hitting a 3 iron. But I refuse to give up on hybrids and force myself to use it when yardage dictates - between my 3W and 4i. Most of the guys I play with have several hybrids and love them, so my problem is probably in my head…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

@Nateyeight, @RickyBobby_PRhas some good info. What I would add is they don’t have to be the same model or even brand.  I personally have a TaylorMade Sim max 19* hybrid and a Ping crossover 23* because I hit different shots with both. I want a little more forgiveness out of the 19* and ability to hit high and low out of the 23*.  Some brands have a couple different models with different purposes. It might be best you focus on filling one of those spots now and then work on the next hybrid. 

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

I can't offer a lot here, but I can give kudos to the Titleist hybrids.  I've got 818H2 in a 2 and 3 hybrid and have enjoyed hitting them.  Misses are much smaller for me compared to a fairway wood and distance has been consistent.  I've been through about 3 fittings since getting them and nothing comes close to beating them out.  I paired mine with a nice mid launch mid spin shaft - Tensei Blue and haven't looked back.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I love hybrids and for me Titleist are the best if the bunch.  If you can see my signature I carry three that are basically fairway wood and iron replacements.  The newer models have better weighting to help with not hitting a draw, but I don’t mind that ball flight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think hybrids don't get a lot of love because they sit in funky space in the bag, if they're in the bag at all.  As a VERY general rule, a hybrid that helps a high handicapper who struggles to hit long irons would be a hook machine for a lower handicap player.  Consequently, lower handicappers (again as a general rule) tend to gravitate towards hybrids with different characteristics, or utility irons.  Given that, it seems to me that the business case for an OEM to invest heavily in churning out better hybrids with regularity isn't there, especially given overall lesser consumer enthusiasm.  I can't recall the exact NPG podcast, but Chris Nickel was joking that every time he writes a hybrid article for MGS it gets about 10 views.  Of course he's exaggerating, but you get the point.

As for me, I agree with @cnosilthat Titleist makes a darn good hybrid, especially if you're looking for a smaller "player's" style.  I have a 19 and 21 degree (opened to 22) TS3 that I like.  That said, a couple TaylorMade DHY's recently (and probably permanently) kicked them out of the bag.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I could never figure out how to hit a hybrid (do I hit down, do I sweep?) until I got my Cobra one length hybrids.  I’ve got three with two in my bag right now.  Very dependable right to left flight. Unless I just hit a block.  But I count on them.  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I really like my Sub70 hybrids.  I started out with 1 and have 3 in the bag now.  I had Titleist 816 H1s previously which were really good but the Sub70 are just better for me.  I don't carry a 5 iron any longer cause the 6 hybrid is just so easy to hit.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I love hybrids for the height and carry distance they provide.  

My only problem with hybrids is that I tend to hit hooks with them.

Over the last ten years I have replaced my hybrids more often than any other clubs searching for the right ones.  Even after getting fit for Titleist 818 H1 hybrids that were better than what I had before, they still went left more often than I would like.

I finally found a couple of hybrids that aren’t going left.  Both are from Tour Edge.  Last year I put a new old stock XCG7 28 degree hybrid in the bag and just this week put a C721 25 degree hybrid in the bag.  The 25 degree is my new 195-205 yard club and the 28 degree is my 170-180 yard club.

A few questions:

What are you trying to gain with a hybrid?

Do you want more total distance or more carry distance?  

Are you needing more height, better landing angle and spin to get more stopping power on the green than your irons are providing?

Is shot shape correction or miss hit forgiveness important?

Depending on your answers might determine if a utility iron, hybrid or high lofted fairway wood would be more suited to your needs. 

After many attempts, I’m still trying to nail down which clubs work best for me on the top end of my bag.  My recent experiments with higher lofted hybrids and fairway woods have shown that I can get more height and carry distance and about the same total distance as the lower lofted versions I had been using.

Good luck with your search.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

I'd highly recommend looking into Tour Edge's hybrid offerings. I was a tester for the EXS Pro and loved it. After some swing changes this winter I thought I would be replacing it with a driving/utility iron. For the first chunk of the season I put a utility iron in the bag, to realize I nearly never hit my 3 wood. I put the hybrid back in the bag in place of the 3 wood with promising results so far - it's really hot and I don't feel like it's a hook machine that some people say make them weary of hybrids.

I've also hit the EXS 220, and liked that one a lot as well. Launches a bit higher and a bit more forgiving than the Pro. You might be able to find some pretty good deals on them now that the C721 line is out - although that looks like a great head too. 

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

On 5/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, Thibide1 said:

Despite playing a regular shaft for driver and irons I play a stiff shaft for my r15 4-hybrid. I’ve dabbled w the Mavrik, an M5, and a SIM Max recently but life always takes me back to that r15.... even after a good fitting those others just don’t give me the confidence over the profile. 

an interesting piece for me w hybrids is its important I can hit it out of the rough and some of the modern more forgiving profiles just feel too large for me to get it through. 

I’m with You good sir they’re a great weapon! 

Im intrigued by this. Does a stiffer shaft give you straighter ball flight? I feel like having a stiffer shaft than your “normal” would amplify the hook/draw ball flight that is so typical with hybrids? 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

On 5/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, lasorcier said:

For me they are hook machines.   Much more comfortable with a 2-iron or even a 1-iron.  

I have hit them before and do have a pxg one that I hit decently.  But it does not do anything that my long irons can't do, other than higher trajectory.   

Hook machines for me as well. I prefer to opt for fairway woods instead.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I can't imagine my golf game without my hybrids, they are scoring machines. Regardless whether its fairway or rough they always bail me out. Ping 410's in a 22* and 26* set to flat. I was actualy debating replacing my 5 wood with a 410 19* hybrid. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

54 minutes ago, Tyler86 said:

Im intrigued by this. Does a stiffer shaft give you straighter ball flight? I feel like having a stiffer shaft than your “normal” would amplify the hook/draw ball flight that is so typical with hybrids? 

Stiffer shaft or a heavier one will tend to slow down the swing and/or help with better sequencing. Helps with face to path relationship and reduces the curvature. It’s usually a recommendation for those who are trying to play a fade ball flight 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

There is a lot of interesting info and  input here - as is often the case with these types of threads we are learning about everyone's favorites as well - but the beauty of golf is, a favorite of mine may do nothing for you and a favorite of years may end up floating in the Bayou with me. 🙂

The reason I'm popping in is because the OP mentioned something about total distance on a Sim.  I think he should focus much more on carry, launch angle and spin rates.  It's also worth considering a lofted fairway wood - maybe keep one of the hybrids and look at 7 wood - something like that - 7 wood/4 wood, hybrid of some sort is a great, versatile combo for a player to consider - You will have lots of shot choices with that at the top end of your bag.

Also, I hate to ask the MGS obvious but have you seen a fitter about the hybrid/fairway wood/utility iron possibilities that might be best for your game?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

think he should focus much more on carry, launch angle and spin rates. 

Totally agree. Getting those right will take care of the total distance. As we know basing club selection off total distance can lead to some unwanted results

I struggled with hybrids for years. Probably tried 20 different ones and all but the 2004 Ben Hogan CFT’s have been hookers. I bought a set of i500 6-P on Sunday and needed something for the top of the bag. I was interested in the Ping G410 and G425 hybrids so I went in for a fit on Monday. I have a new G425Max Driver that I have adjusted 1° down and Flat. This is a game changer for me. 

The flat setting on the Ping G410 and G425Max does make them into a much more neutral ball flight, and they are incredible. They are incredibly expensive also. While I might could get the G410 from eBay, the G425 are still new and $270 MSRP and the G410 are still selling for over $200 so I decided to get fit for some G425.

Things didn’t go quite as planned. First, I have new irons (arriving today) and don’t know where the upper range for my 6 iron truly is. I should hit the Ping i500 6 iron 175 yards. They did have an i500 7 iron and, based on that, I estimated where the 6 iron should fit. But that was on the monitor not real life. I may end up needing the 5 Hybrid. 

But if I hit that club 175, I need clubs to span the range from say 190-235. So I hit the hybrids, and they were great. But I also hit the 3, 5, 7, 9 woods.  Those were freaking awesome. I was hitting those off the deck so consistently that I felt like Matt from TGX. (Except he would be hitting 7-9 irons that range.) Once I put these on the flat setting the ball flights were all identical and only increasing by 15 yards or so per club.

I have never had clubs I felt confident in above 175 yards. Sure I could hit them that far, but I never knew when one would turn 40 yards left or 20 yards right.  These fairway woods would be 5 yards either way. So I ended up deciding on the FM’s over the Hybrids.  I went ahead and bought the 7 and 9 woods. They didn’t have the 5 with the shaft I needed, and I decided to wait on the 3 wood because I may not need it and may need something to bridge the gap between my 6 iron and 9wood.  

The moral of this long winded story is that higher lofted fairway metals may be the way to go for some of us who have not aged as well as we may have liked.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I still use a pair of hybrids I put together years ago in an experimental phase which I haven't grown out of.  I have tried a few others (OK more than a few), TM Rescue early on through Ping i20's just last year but they all seem to give me the 'lefts' to some degree while those two Snake Eyes / shaft combos remain straight and true and give the distance I want.   League night last week, the two birds I had resulted from 17* hybrid flushed off the tee & 17* hybrid flushed to the green on a short tight par 5 for a 2 putt bird and a 23* hybrid to 10' on a 190yard par 3 and i lipped in the putt!  Cemented their stay in the bag and just maybe the hybrid experimentation should really end for me!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I find that my hybrids are some of my most consistent clubs. For a 4 hybrid, I have been playing a RBZ. For a 3 hybrid, I have a Titleist 815H. However, I tend to leave the 3 hybrid at home in favor of my RBZ 3 wood. I have found that I am very consistent with the RBZ, so much that I purchased a 5 wood although I still prefer my 5i. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

5 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

I love hybrids for the height and carry distance they provide.  

My only problem with hybrids is that I tend to hit hooks with them.

Over the last ten years I have replaced my hybrids more often than any other clubs searching for the right ones.  Even after getting fit for Titleist 818 H1 hybrids that were better than what I had before, they still went left more often than I would like.

I finally found a couple of hybrids that aren’t going left.  Both are from Tour Edge.  Last year I put a new old stock XCG7 28 degree hybrid in the bag and just this week put a C721 25 degree hybrid in the bag.  The 25 degree is my new 195-205 yard club and the 28 degree is my 170-180 yard club.

A few questions:

What are you trying to gain with a hybrid?

Do you want more total distance or more carry distance?  

Are you needing more height, better landing angle and spin to get more stopping power on the green than your irons are providing?

Is shot shape correction or miss hit forgiveness important?

Depending on your answers might determine if a utility iron, hybrid or high lofted fairway wood would be more suited to your needs. 

After many attempts, I’m still trying to nail down which clubs work best for me on the top end of my bag.  My recent experiments with higher lofted hybrids and fairway woods have shown that I can get more height and carry distance and about the same total distance as the lower lofted versions I had been using.

Good luck with your search.

Thankyou!

I can't hit my 3 wood so I retired it. I am looking for a low long hybrid to go beyond 200 yards, and then my other hybrid to be in the 180 range but I can land on the green so more height. I think I will have to do what you have done, and just keep testing and experimenting until I find the right ones to fit that criteria. 

9 minutes ago, Nateyeight said:

Thankyou!

I can't hit my 3 wood so I retired it. I am looking for a low long hybrid to go beyond 200 yards, and then my other hybrid to be in the 180 range but I can land on the green so more height. I think I will have to do what you have done, and just keep testing and experimenting until I find the right ones to fit that criteria. 

Are you carrying any fairway woods at all?  You may get what you're looking for with a newer model 5 wood (which is really a 4 wood) and/or a 7 wood - just because you struggled with 3 wood doesn't mean you can't hit or won't hit fairways well.  Hate to complicate things but it does give you more options to accomplish your goal.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Are you carrying any fairway woods at all?  You may get what you're looking for with a newer model 5 wood (which is really a 4 wood) and/or a 7 wood - just because you struggled with 3 wood doesn't mean you can't hit or won't hit fairways well.  Hate to complicate things but it does give you more options to accomplish your goal.

I am not, I had a 3 wood Epic Flash. Maybe I can experiment with a 5 or 7 wood, I just struggle more with the sweeping swing than I do with the hybrid being close to an iron swing. Thanks for the advice. I will add a 5 and 7 wood in my testing to see how they stack up to a 3 hybrid. 

@revkevi want to game a 7w but theyre hard to come by used with a reg or stiff shaft that arent super old or brand new. For now i play a 3h and 4h. When i find a 7w the 3h may leave. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X