2021 Upcoming Players Iron Releases - Heavyweight Bout

I bit the bullet and have a set of Mizuno MP20 HMB's on the way (4 - PW) to replace my MP68's which were a replacement for my all time favorite MP33's that were sadly relieved from my possession along with everything else of value in my car years back.  I considered the MP20 "players", but decided on the HMB's to use some of the technology to my advantage, as well as the stronger lofts to aide my aging swing - at least that is the plan... execution success to be determined.  I also considered all the usual suspects listed above... especially the Ping (210 and 500) and the Callaway Apex... but I'm True Mizuno Blue by heart... so I went with my emotional choice.  

1613488024_ClubLineup.png.a86b0be3dd6562f680f6b2e98512229b.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who else is planning on buying players irons this year? I am looking for more forgiveness at the top end of my bag than my Cobra CBs provide in a still-smallish package, and lately I find myself scann

Been testing players irons the past few weeks and some of my favorites are:  ZX7, Titleist 620 CB, Sub 70 TAIII, Wilson Staff CB, and Honma T20V.    In general most everything in this category is good

Ah, lefty adds an annoying wrinkle I'm sure. I am not a Modus 120 guy and disliked both the King Tour and the ZX7 when I demoed with that shaft, but liked the feel of both heads A LOT more with other

Posted Images

On 5/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, Micah T said:

Srixon Zx7 (4-7) Z forged (8-Pw)

I sold a set of Ping i210s for this Srixon combo. Absolutely the right choice for my game. The ZX7s are unbelievably easy to hit but still give me the workability I was missing from the D7 Forged during my demo. The feel of the Srixons is unreal and they're giving me a much flatter trajectory but still the height/spin needed to control my distances.

Honestly, my only frustration is that I didn't order the ZX7 3i.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small:SIM2 9* HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper; :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

On 6/8/2021 at 8:41 PM, Hoyoymac said:

Been gaming my Titleist AP3 irons since spring of 2018.  Have liked them but have about 500 rounds on them and they are a bit dinged up.  Been experimenting with a set of Corey Paul cavity back irons picked up off Ebay for cheap and have really liked the looks and feel.  They are traditionally lofted compared to the stronger lofted AP3s 3 degrees weaker per club.  They also have slightly stiffer and heavier shafts in them which reduces my hook miss.  Will be making a decision soon.

I still think the AP3s were one of Titleist's best designs in recent history. Great balance of a forgiving game improvement head along with less offset and a little stronger lofts. I personally think that of the big OEMs, Titleist has the best designs regarding playability and forgiveness in the given package. I personally don't see a reason why manufacturers aren't using tungsten in almost all their designs. If there is not perimeter tungsten in an iron design, then forgiveness is being left on the table. The AP2s and now T100 irons have seemed to be one of the few players irons to really embrace tungsten the last few years. I'm not saying irons that don't use tungsten are bad but it can generally only mean forgiveness is being left on the table, especially if the design is for a more compact players head. 

• 2 weeks later...

Callaway had a fitting day at my club yesterday so I stopped in. Apex pro still isn’t doing it for me in the 7 iron despite looking awesome. I really liked the x forged though. Longer blade length than my Cobras but still solid feeling, not hollow like the pros. More offset than I would like but I could easily get past it. 

I did also hit the mb and wow does it feel amazing. Really wish I liked the Pros because the players combo (4-7 pro 8-w mb) would work nicely. No TCB on hand unfortunately, but those need to be ordered as a full set & probably wouldn’t work for me at the top end anyway. 

Adding X Forged to my contender list.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 5/26/2021 at 3:12 PM, cbbuff said:

I just bought a ZX5/ZX7 Combo set.  Thought about waiting for the new T100s, but too impatient.  I found something I really like and I'll go with it until I find something I like better, whether it's in in 6 months or 6 years!

The set up you bought is what I would be thinking about as well.  I've currently got the MP 18 SC and still like them quite a bit so I'm going to wait for the fall/winter to try some others out.  There should be several coming out by that time including the new Mizuno's (which I've heard nothing about, but just basing off usual time table).

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

3 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Callaway had a fitting day at my club yesterday so I stopped in. Apex pro still isn’t doing it for me in the 7 iron despite looking awesome. I really liked the x forged though. Longer blade length than my Cobras but still solid feeling, not hollow like the pros. More offset than I would like but I could easily get past it. 

Agree - I had a demo day at my club about a month ago.  Hit them fairly good.  Had the right spin numbers, a little higher than my current (which I am looking for), but the feel was just meh for me.  

Nice clubs, just didn't quite tick all the boxes.  Honestly that's how Callaway irons usually are for me.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"