Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Setting suggestions

TONYGUERN

So i bought my Mav a few months ago and recently i was toying around with the settings (-1 +1, D etc..) i really dont understand the settings but every since i messed around with it ive struggled so bad. Drives all over the place . Im typically a slight to moderate fade. I ususally end up on right side of fairways and sometimes way to right lol but every once in awhile i would hit straight. Im very rarely a draw driver..so i started messing around with settings in hopes it would help. But now im more right then ever. I might lose one or two balls during a 18 hole outing. Now im losing 6-7 and embarrasing myself. Ever since i messed with the settings i cant hiot a good drive for how i typically hit my ball off a drive. I need suggestions. My Mav is 9 degree but looking for suggestions on how to set the rest of my driver for someone like me who hits average 260-300 yds with a fade to the right. Id rather hit slightly shorter with a less fade if possible. I know my technique will have something to do with it too but i dont remember what setting was default on my driver when i was playing well with it..help!!!!!

The default setting for Callaway driver is N (neutral) and S (stated loft)

The D is to setup for a draw bias

The +/-1 and so is on related to loft. The + adds more loft and the - will take loft away. Remember when you add loft it will also close the face and vice versa when you lower the loft it will open the face.

Start at the default settings and see what your ball flight does. This is probably what the setting was when you bought it unless you bought it used. Which the it’s really anybody’s guess on what would work for your swing.

Also not knowing what your swing looks like making changes to the face to a draw bias could make things worse but it could improve the results.

If the N/S setting doesnt get you back to what you were used to when you bought it then try D/S

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There is also a line on the adapter that corresponds with a line on the back of the clubhead.  They should be lined up and it is easy to miss if you don't know what to look for.   

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I too have a mavrik driver. When fitted by a Callaway fitter,( actual Callaway ) we came away with a 9 * head set at stated loft and neutral. Swing speed is under 80  mph. I questioned him and he said A) The driver is difficult to draw , B) my angle of attack is just about 2* upward. More loft would give me too much spin.  The shaft is  A flex. If I wanted higher loft he stated a stiffer shaft would keep my spin down. The point is if you were fitted to that club the setting would be correct. I spent a long time with him. He was right.  Alway get fitted and question everything. I’m not making negative comments but trying to demonstrate how crucial a fitting is. 

is there a golf store with a computer launch monitor that will give you 15-20 minutes of free time to experiment?

Perhaps you have to pretend to be interested in buying a used driver......

and you bring yours in to compare with.....

1)  you might start with another Callaway model, e.g. Epic...  and set up a baseline using store's settings.

2)  then hit your driver to see results (record your settings)

3)  then set your driver to zero, zero, zero--- all neutral...   note what these results are.

now you have your personal baseline.   and experiment how different settings affect results.

have fun 🙂

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

15 minutes ago, mywong23 said:

is there a golf store with a computer launch monitor that will give you 15-20 minutes of free time to experiment?

Perhaps you have to pretend to be interested in buying a used driver......

and you bring yours in to compare with.....

1)  you might start with another Callaway model, e.g. Epic...  and set up a baseline using store's settings.

2)  then hit your driver to see results (record your settings)

3)  then set your driver to zero, zero, zero--- all neutral...   note what these results are.

now you have your personal baseline.   and experiment how different settings affect results.

have fun 🙂

That can be done on the driving range where one can actually see the ball flight

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Follow up questions to an earlier post that suggested that you to set it at neutral.  Why did you buy it? 

Were you fit for it?  If yes, then set it to what the fitter fit you forI

If not why did you buy it?  Did you try several drivers on a launch monitor at the store and this one was the best one of the bunch, including your gamer?  Then neutral it is.

If you bought it without trying it first then you really need to go to a LM and find out which setting might be best for you.  You are trying to self correct on the range or course rather than allowing your swing to tell you which setting is right.  That's understandable but not helpful at this point.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As others mentioned, there really isn't any way someone can just give you a setting to fix the problem.  You either need to find someone knowledgeable to look at your swing and help you make the adjustment or you need to spend some time at the range and methodically work though the settings to see what helps.  Since you're going right the logical answer would be increase the loft and change to draw and see the results.  If it goes too high go back to standard loft and draw, etc.  You need some kind of method so you can evaluate the results of each change.

Posting a video of your swing might also help.

One thing that was not mentioned though is that your struggles might not have anything to do with the driver settings as the changes on the hosel can only do so much.  If the club went from great to unhittable, then more than likely something in your swing has changed and your struggles have nothing to do with driver settings.  The tweaking of the driver settings might have exacerbated the problem, but I'm guessing it was there before or else you wouldn't have started messing with the settings to begin with.  I don't know anyone who pipes it 290 right down their target line and then comes back and starts tinkering.  

I would go for a lesson and see if they can get you straightened out.  Best case is they identify a swing issue that you probably wouldn't ever find or be able to fix by yourself and on the worst case, assuming you can find a quality coach, they should have enough knowledge to get your driver adjusted based on the swing they see.

Above was a plus one additional observation ChitownM2.  He needs to hang here more though - I know plenty of people who pipe drives whatever piping means for them that still look to tweak things. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD