TESTERS WANTED! ×

Non-Golf Shoes: What works best for you?

I have been playing for 3 years with the past year being more consistent with practicing and playing. When I first go into the game, I was always self-conscious about showing up to the course with a pair of athletic shoes. I was always under the impression that I needed a pair of golf shoes with spikes to play the game, so one of the first things I did was buy a pair of Adidas Tech Response. Although I found them to be comfortable, I still found myself wanting to wear my athletics rather than golf shoes. This was especially true when I was walking a course. Now, I barely wear my golf shoes. Instead, I opt for my Hoka One shoes as my primary golf shoe. The only time I put on my Adidas is when the ground is wet from a recent snow melt or heavy rains. I find that the spikes do help with keeping me stable, but every other time I am back into my Hoka. Although my Hoka have been great shoes for a few years, I am in the market for a new athletic/golf shoe. This time I am looking at purchasing the Hoka Speedgoat Trail Runners. I have been getting more into hiking and really enjoy the traction they provided. I even think they can replace my Adidas as an all around golf shoes regardless of course condition. I was curious whether anyone else plays primarily in athletic shoes and has some good recommendations for a shoe that can serve as that hybrid all around shoe. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

I'm sure that a lot of people share your same affinity for athletic shoes on the course.  You may also want to check out the numerous spikeless options available now as that segment has really grown in the last 5 years.  There are some very good options which many people probably would not be able to tell are golf shoes at all, both from a style perspective or based on the tread pattern on the bottom, yet the best ones give just as good of traction as a traditional set of golf spikes.

There is a most wanted review of the shoes every year so that would be the best place to start.

Allbirds mizzles... Waterproof to an extent. Stupid comfortable, good grip and are good for both warmer and colder conditions. I have a pair for work (i work on ice all day) and a pair for everyday. I've played a handful of rounds with them and to good success overall. They would be what i recommend hands down.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have to buy wide shoes and there are limitations on golf shoes in that arena. 
Also - one brands wide can be wildly different than another. 
Found a pair of Puma that work well. I know there are New Balance, FootJoy and Skechers but if I don't want to pay a damn fortune then I'll probably look into a non-golf shoe next time. Especially since I walk a lot and comfort is key.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

After looking at spikeless golf shoes, is there any real difference between a spikeless golf shoe and a athletic sneaker such as trail runner? All the spikeless golf shoes I come across look like a regular athletic shoe with a little more aggressive tread similar to trail runners.  

Ball - Kirkland v2

Biggest difference between golf shoes and other shoes other than spikes/traction is flex points and torsional aspects of the shoe.  They're designed specifically to provide support during the rotational motion of the foot during a swing and support while walking the course in the rough, fairway, and sand traps.  Similar as to why walking shoes differ from running shoes.  Can you play in trail shoes?  Sure.  You can play in wingtips too, if you'd like 😄 😄  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I’m very comfortable in my Adidas CodeChaos spikeless golf shoes, and I walk 18 more often than not, the traction is shockingly good IMO. But I know a couple guys who play in New Balance running shoes, and one guy who plays in low cut Merrell Moab hiking shoes. Whatever you’re comfortable with.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

There are so many spikeless options nowadays that it is pretty easy to find a pair that are as comfortable as sneakers. My understanding is golf shoes provide more lateral support than normal walking or running shoes. So there is definitely a difference. I personally prefer sneaker type spikeless shoes. I own one pair of spikes but I rarely wear them.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

On 5/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, ColoradoFife said:

After looking at spikeless golf shoes, is there any real difference between a spikeless golf shoe and a athletic sneaker such as trail runner? All the spikeless golf shoes I come across look like a regular athletic shoe with a little more aggressive tread similar to trail runners.  

I find that my spikeless shoes have a stiffer sole than my trail runners (even though some of my trail runners have more aggressive tread), so it provides a bit more of a stable platform for faster/harder swings.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Thank you everyone for the information. I have been sold on the differences between athletic and golf shoes. Also, I just saw that review on Jordan Spieth's spikeless golf shoes. I have some research to do to find my next golf shoe. 

Ball - Kirkland v2

@garyt1957  While you are probably right, I don't think I will ever stop swinging for the bleachers. It is too rewarding when you connect and hit that long ball. I just need to accept that my score will never improve. However, I feel like I am getting much better with recovery shots and scrambling. 

Ball - Kirkland v2

1 hour ago, ColoradoFife said:

@garyt1957  While you are probably right, I don't think I will ever stop swinging for the bleachers. It is too rewarding when you connect and hit that long ball. I just need to accept that my score will never improve. However, I feel like I am getting much better with recovery shots and scrambling. 

Swinging for the bleachers and score never improving....could be a correlation here. 😄 😄 😄  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

This is a typical question that which other shoe will work instead of them, after thinking a lot in this I finally landed on a conclusion which says that the place of this is only be taken by mens sports shoes. Yes I have surfed a lot online and found a lot of sites but finally I landed on a site which I think is giving a major choice for us all, let me share that site, I have mentioned it above for the simplicity for you guys. I think this will work for sure. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, CarlH said:

Can you play in trail shoes?  Sure.  You can play in wingtips too, if you'd like 😄 😄

Ah yes, I always prefer my wingtips during my weekly outing with my associates from the County Club.

Happy Man In Dinner Suit Holds Golf Club. Stock Photo ...

LOL

Seriously though, I am in the market for new golf shoes as well. The only issue is I have terribly flat feet and require a very stiff sole with a lot of cushion. My podiatrist made me custom orthotics and he also sends me to a specialty shop for runners. They fit me into Brooks Beast '20s, the last pair was Brooks Addiction. Before diving head first into some new golf shoes, I will probably use my old Addicitons and try to use https://golfkicks.com/

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

On 5/21/2021 at 2:41 PM, StrokerAce said:

I have to buy wide shoes and there are limitations on golf shoes in that arena. 
Also - one brands wide can be wildly different than another. 
Found a pair of Puma that work well. I know there are New Balance, FootJoy and Skechers but if I don't want to pay a damn fortune then I'll probably look into a non-golf shoe next time. Especially since I walk a lot and comfort is key.

If you are willing to spend $100ish for golf Shoes, the Skechers are pretty solid... I don’t love BOA but these came with them... not a ton of good wide options as you said! 

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

In Colorado have found that you can where athletic shoes.  Nowadays have had to add orthotics.  Play most rounds in adidas samba soccer shoes, when course is empty like to jog between shots.   On wet course switch back to FJ golf shoes.               

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

• 2 years later...

I am pretty sure I answered this, but Allbirds with the blizzard sole is a fantastic option. Combine that with the water resistant nature of some of their models and its truly hard to beat this shoe. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 5/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, CarlH said:

Biggest difference between golf shoes and other shoes other than spikes/traction is flex points and torsional aspects of the shoe.  They're designed specifically to provide support during the rotational motion of the foot during a swing and support while walking the course in the rough, fairway, and sand traps.  Similar as to why walking shoes differ from running shoes.  Can you play in trail shoes?  Sure.  You can play in wingtips too, if you'd like 😄 😄  

Is it a fashion faux pas to admit I've been on the course in crocs?

Driver/3W/5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

When I go to the range, I wear sneakers all the time and seldom, if ever, notice a difference.   When I play though, I walk the course most of the time, and I think an all leather golf shoe holds up better than one made of other material.   Also, I usually play first thing in the morning, so dew is a factor, and I need a shoe that is more moisture proof.  Spikes vs. spikeless is a non-issue for me b/c most, if not all of the courses I play are relatively flat.  Finally, I wear a hard to find size (13 Narrow!), so I find that my best bet for golf is Foot Joy b/c they have always made shoes in my size!   

Edited by Fatshot

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

The best looking, best gripping, and most comfortable golf shoe made is the TRUE Lux Hybrid.  Period. End of discussion. 

Great for on or off course, nice wide toe box, terrific customer support and return policy if you have a problem. 

I prefer spikeless Eccos. I've worn athletic shoes on the course before but they just lack some of the stability I need when swinging. Plus, I've torn up some non-golf shoes at places like Top Golf before. Twisting on shoes with the "normal" rubber sole that is glued to foam tends to get shredded on my left foot (right-handed swing) when I rotate. Trail shoes are probably better. I will also note that I no longer where traditional spiked golf shoes anymore, especially the FJ ones with really stable and stiff sole structures. It's not that they don't work, but it's that they work too well. I tend to start overswinging when my shoes behave like they are strapping my feet to the ground. 

3 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I prefer spikeless Eccos. I've worn athletic shoes on the course before but they just lack some of the stability I need when swinging. Plus, I've torn up some non-golf shoes at places like Top Golf before. Twisting on shoes with the "normal" rubber sole that is glued to foam tends to get shredded on my left foot (right-handed swing) when I rotate. Trail shoes are probably better. I will also note that I no longer where traditional spiked golf shoes anymore, especially the FJ ones with really stable and stiff sole structures. It's not that they don't work, but it's that they work too well. I tend to start overswinging when my shoes behave like they are strapping my feet to the ground. 

I had great experience with ECCO brand in the past.  Haven't tried them for golf yet

Driver/3W/5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro