Non-Golf Shoes: What works best for you?

I have been playing for 3 years with the past year being more consistent with practicing and playing. When I first go into the game, I was always self-conscious about showing up to the course with a pair of athletic shoes. I was always under the impression that I needed a pair of golf shoes with spikes to play the game, so one of the first things I did was buy a pair of Adidas Tech Response. Although I found them to be comfortable, I still found myself wanting to wear my athletics rather than golf shoes. This was especially true when I was walking a course. Now, I barely wear my golf shoes. Instead, I opt for my Hoka One shoes as my primary golf shoe. The only time I put on my Adidas is when the ground is wet from a recent snow melt or heavy rains. I find that the spikes do help with keeping me stable, but every other time I am back into my Hoka. Although my Hoka have been great shoes for a few years, I am in the market for a new athletic/golf shoe. This time I am looking at purchasing the Hoka Speedgoat Trail Runners. I have been getting more into hiking and really enjoy the traction they provided. I even think they can replace my Adidas as an all around golf shoes regardless of course condition. I was curious whether anyone else plays primarily in athletic shoes and has some good recommendations for a shoe that can serve as that hybrid all around shoe. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

I'm sure that a lot of people share your same affinity for athletic shoes on the course.  You may also want to check out the numerous spikeless options available now as that segment has really grown in the last 5 years.  There are some very good options which many people probably would not be able to tell are golf shoes at all, both from a style perspective or based on the tread pattern on the bottom, yet the best ones give just as good of traction as a traditional set of golf spikes.

There is a most wanted review of the shoes every year so that would be the best place to start.

• Like 3

I just played some of the best golf of my life in a pair of Nike skateboard shoes.  I’m a high swing speed player, and the only time I need any extra grip is if the grass is wet.

• Like 3

Allbirds mizzles... Waterproof to an extent. Stupid comfortable, good grip and are good for both warmer and colder conditions. I have a pair for work (i work on ice all day) and a pair for everyday. I've played a handful of rounds with them and to good success overall. They would be what i recommend hands down.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

I have to buy wide shoes and there are limitations on golf shoes in that arena. 
Also - one brands wide can be wildly different than another. 
Found a pair of Puma that work well. I know there are New Balance, FootJoy and Skechers but if I don't want to pay a damn fortune then I'll probably look into a non-golf shoe next time. Especially since I walk a lot and comfort is key.

• Like 3

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

After looking at spikeless golf shoes, is there any real difference between a spikeless golf shoe and a athletic sneaker such as trail runner? All the spikeless golf shoes I come across look like a regular athletic shoe with a little more aggressive tread similar to trail runners.  

• Like 2

Ball - Kirkland v2

Biggest difference between golf shoes and other shoes other than spikes/traction is flex points and torsional aspects of the shoe.  They're designed specifically to provide support during the rotational motion of the foot during a swing and support while walking the course in the rough, fairway, and sand traps.  Similar as to why walking shoes differ from running shoes.  Can you play in trail shoes?  Sure.  You can play in wingtips too, if you'd like 😄 😄  

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I’m very comfortable in my Adidas CodeChaos spikeless golf shoes, and I walk 18 more often than not, the traction is shockingly good IMO. But I know a couple guys who play in New Balance running shoes, and one guy who plays in low cut Merrell Moab hiking shoes. Whatever you’re comfortable with.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

There are so many spikeless options nowadays that it is pretty easy to find a pair that are as comfortable as sneakers. My understanding is golf shoes provide more lateral support than normal walking or running shoes. So there is definitely a difference. I personally prefer sneaker type spikeless shoes. I own one pair of spikes but I rarely wear them.

• Like 2

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

On 5/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, ColoradoFife said:

After looking at spikeless golf shoes, is there any real difference between a spikeless golf shoe and a athletic sneaker such as trail runner? All the spikeless golf shoes I come across look like a regular athletic shoe with a little more aggressive tread similar to trail runners.  

I find that my spikeless shoes have a stiffer sole than my trail runners (even though some of my trail runners have more aggressive tread), so it provides a bit more of a stable platform for faster/harder swings.

• Like 1

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Thank you everyone for the information. I have been sold on the differences between athletic and golf shoes. Also, I just saw that review on Jordan Spieth's spikeless golf shoes. I have some research to do to find my next golf shoe. 

Ball - Kirkland v2

I only wear golf specific shoes for the waterproofing if it's wet out or early morning dew.  Seems if you're slipping all over the place, you're swinging too hard.

• Like 2

@garyt1957  While you are probably right, I don't think I will ever stop swinging for the bleachers. It is too rewarding when you connect and hit that long ball. I just need to accept that my score will never improve. However, I feel like I am getting much better with recovery shots and scrambling. 

• Like 2

Ball - Kirkland v2

1 hour ago, ColoradoFife said:

@garyt1957  While you are probably right, I don't think I will ever stop swinging for the bleachers. It is too rewarding when you connect and hit that long ball. I just need to accept that my score will never improve. However, I feel like I am getting much better with recovery shots and scrambling. 

Swinging for the bleachers and score never improving....could be a correlation here. 😄 😄 😄  

• Haha 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

This is a typical question that which other shoe will work instead of them, after thinking a lot in this I finally landed on a conclusion which says that the place of this is only be taken by mens sports shoes. Yes I have surfed a lot online and found a lot of sites but finally I landed on a site which I think is giving a major choice for us all, let me share that site, I have mentioned it above for the simplicity for you guys. I think this will work for sure. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, CarlH said:

Can you play in trail shoes?  Sure.  You can play in wingtips too, if you'd like 😄 😄

Ah yes, I always prefer my wingtips during my weekly outing with my associates from the County Club.

Happy Man In Dinner Suit Holds Golf Club. Stock Photo ...

LOL

Seriously though, I am in the market for new golf shoes as well. The only issue is I have terribly flat feet and require a very stiff sole with a lot of cushion. My podiatrist made me custom orthotics and he also sends me to a specialty shop for runners. They fit me into Brooks Beast '20s, the last pair was Brooks Addiction. Before diving head first into some new golf shoes, I will probably use my old Addicitons and try to use https://golfkicks.com/

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 Adams Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - Taylormade R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - PING Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - Titleist Tour Soft

On 5/21/2021 at 2:41 PM, StrokerAce said:

I have to buy wide shoes and there are limitations on golf shoes in that arena. 
Also - one brands wide can be wildly different than another. 
Found a pair of Puma that work well. I know there are New Balance, FootJoy and Skechers but if I don't want to pay a damn fortune then I'll probably look into a non-golf shoe next time. Especially since I walk a lot and comfort is key.

If you are willing to spend $100ish for golf Shoes, the Skechers are pretty solid... I don’t love BOA but these came with them... not a ton of good wide options as you said! 

• Like 1

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

In Colorado have found that you can where athletic shoes.  Nowadays have had to add orthotics.  Play most rounds in adidas samba soccer shoes, when course is empty like to jog between shots.   On wet course switch back to FJ golf shoes.               

All Fitted-- Driver - 2017 Callaway Epic Subzero 10.5d (same as Kevin Na), 3 Wood -2017 Epic Subzero 15d, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 4 52-56-60, Odyssey Toulon Chicago