Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tried the Cobra one lengths....

DechamBRO

On 5/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, DechamBRO said:

I was planning on getting the wedges as well, one length snake bite. was thinking 5-GW, 52, 56, 60.....with how i hit the 5 iron i don't think i would need anything between it and my standard length speedzone 3 hybrid. I could always get the one lengths and let my son use them if they don't work on the course for me 🙂 First world problems. 

Yeah will do the same if my step son like golf, when he will grow up I will get myself a set of one length regular flex and try them and unload them to him. At the moment he like driving the cart, hitting the driver and red ball / red bag, red polo, basically anything red

A long shaft in wedges just sounded like as bad idea, but the single length concept is founded on good science.  

I play normal stepped length clubs LW through 8 iron, then single length 7, 6, 5, 4.     Works great - same shout irons and wedges with simplified long irons.   No, I don't loose distance or height on the long irons: science tells you that the heavier club head offsets the effect of shorter shaft.  

1 hour ago, bwgerho said:

A long shaft in wedges just sounded like as bad idea, but the single length concept is founded on good science.  

I play normal stepped length clubs LW through 8 iron, then single length 7, 6, 5, 4.     Works great - same shout irons and wedges with simplified long irons.   No, I don't loose distance or height on the long irons: science tells you that the heavier club head offsets the effect of shorter shaft.  

Unfortunately, from other posters experiences it looks like you're in the minority on the long irons being consistent on distance & height. The longer irons always seem to be the weaker point of the sets. 

I'll reiterate - I loved the wedges when I tried them, and a good friend went out and bought Cobra OL wedges based on how great they were for him when he tried them as well.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, bwgerho said:

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Unfortunately, from other posters experiences it looks like you're in the minority on the long irons being consistent on distance & height. The longer irons always seem to be the weaker point of the sets. 

I'll reiterate - I loved the wedges when I tried them, and a good friend went out and bought Cobra OL wedges based on how great they were for him when he tried them as well.

Yeah, definitely in the minority and goes against everything Cobra R&D says about the one lengths, splitting the set between OL and variable, will give you unmatched weights and other profile specs.   Plus then you are back to altering your setup for multiple iron/wedge shots which is the whole point of OL. 

But if it works for somebody, more power to them. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I first tried single length irons seven or eight years ago.  I loved the concept, but hated the heads, they were big, super game improvement irons and I couldn't feel where I was making contact--so I sent them back at the end of the trial period.  But I told myself that I would try them again if some manufacturer ever came out with a set of "players irons" in single length.  

Then Bryson came along and Cobra got into the single length market.  I bought a combo set of F7 forged and F7s, all in single length (at my 8 iron length).  I got 4 iron through LW.  I played them for two years and loved them.  Then I switched to Edel one lengths.  I ended up with eight iron length SW through 7 iron, +1/2 inch on my 6 and 4 iron and +3/4 inch on Cobra single length hybrids.  I still play the Cobra LW.  I don't carry a 5 iron.  At my swing speed, the 4 and 5 had a narrow gapping.  I went with the 4 iron because I can use it to punch out from under trees.  I now have a nice gapping between all my clubs. 

The biggest difference for me is improved ball striking on all the irons and how much practice time single length saves.  My current 4 iron has the same over all distance as a traditional 4 iron, but it flies lower and rolls out more.  The trade off is worth it for me.  I make much better contact with the single length 4 iron.  A launch monitor would suggest that I should play a traditional length 4 iron; strokes gained analysis tells me to play the single length club.  

I imagine some one will point out that I'm not really playing single length clubs as I have LW through 7 iron at my standard 8 iron length, 2 irons a bit longer and hybrids with a bit more length.  Okay.  Big deal.  I listened to an interview with Edel and he said that the main impact of single length clubs coming on the market is it will get golfers away from standard sets with a set length progression from club to club.  Some players will benefit from all standard length clubs, some from a partial single length set, others with three length irons (wedges all one length, short irons a bit longer and long irons even longer but shorter than in a standard set.)  I call this Thinking Outside the Standard Length Box.  

Cobra's research showed that regular golfers improved their strike across all irons by moving to single length irons from standard length sets.  Edel contends that a lot of golfers will benefit from improved ball striking with less than standard progression in length, without moving to all single length irons. Length is one factor in choosing irons.  It has to be balanced with other factors.  Adding 1/2 inch to my 4 iron doesn't cause a drop in my ball striking but gives me a bit more distance and added height v. staying with a SL 4 iron.  My 4 iron is still much shorter than a standard 4 iron and ball striking is better than I get with a standard 4.  

All clubs have trade offs and each golfer has to decide which configuration works best for them.  Most golfers face this when choosing between long irons and hybrids.  If you have a long iron and a hybrid which go the same distance, how do you decide which club to put in your bag?  Some will choose the extra control from an iron, some will choose the added height from the Hybrid.  The golfer balances the shot performance of each club and decides which benefits his or her game the most.  Ideally, it would be the same when looking at length of clubs.  Some will find standard sets fit their game the best, others will go completely to single length, others with partial standard length and single length and some with unconventional stepping of irons, such as 1/4 or 1/8 inch progression between irons.   It takes some trial and error and it takes getting fit for clubs--somethings most golfers aren't going to do.  But for those willing to think outside the box, I think it's worth it.  

I see a lot being discussed on this thread and it's important to remember single length irons will always have compromises relative to a progressive length set. Short irons need to be adjusted to prevent too much spin and long irons will generally be lower spin to compensate on length resulting in lack of green holding spin. The long irons are usually the hardest part to get right and as some have noted on here, going to hybrids can help or having slightly longer long irons. If you're ball striking improves enough on the single length long-irons that it overshadows the consequences of low spin, then the single length is worth it. If you need to hold a green, going with longer lengths or hybrids are a solution. Irons have generally had progressive lengths for the history of golf because that is how we overcame the issues with spin and controlled the ball flight. 

I'm personally a fan of less progressive designs regarding club length but I'm not necessarily 100% in the single-length camp. Hireko golf make a dual length set that is intriguing as it gives many of the benefits of a single length set but mitigates some of the spin issues. I would personally like a company just to make a less progressive set, say with only 1/4" increments between clubs. The reality is, if you have a hard time with single length long irons, the best answer is to probably get a hybrid as physics will always be a problem with a single length long iron. The other way to improve single length long iron performance is by improving you, get stronger and/or improve your swing. There is not any magic in what Cobra, Edel, Wishon does regarding their SL sets. They simply try their best to compensate for the issues SL irons present, hoping that the improved ball striking outweighs the cons. Which for many people, it does. 

So, I decided I couldn’t take it anymore and ordered a set. I just have to try it on the course. I like to tinker and play around not to. I ordered the new radspeeds because it is the newest and therefore should be improved upon from lessons learned (I had demoed the speed zones at Dicks before, and liked them minus the roll on long irons). I don’t think the speed zones shafts were like the radspeeds (80 gram kbs in long irons, 90 in mid, and I think 110 in short), though I could be mistaken. Also ordered a 56 one length snakebite wedge, so will see... if I like them enough I will add a 60, but they are pretty hard to find right now. Also, doesn’t seem they make a 52... seems odd seeing as the gw that comes withthe set is 48 degrees..., oh well, can’t wait to play around with them,

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

I'm late to the party for @DechamBRO's purchasing benefit  😉, but wanted to mention that Pinhawk has a newer Vertex set they sell, designed for those who like SL, but don't like the long iron performance.  

Essentially a two length set, the 6-SW are designed to be 8i length, the 3-5 are designed for 5i length.  Allows you to get a bit more trajectory on those longer clubs.

The 6i and 3i are also some form of hollow or flex face clubhead (going off memory), to add a bit more help with those clubs' distance and/or trajectory.

Disclaimer:  not affiliated with Pinhawk or Value Golf, other than as a customer.  I own a set of original Pinhawks, have built test Vertex clubs for the missus, which she likes so far.

edited to add:  I'm intrigued by the dual length concept, I think it has some value.  Even if it conflicts with my blade tendencies, LOL.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Interesting, I think someone else mentioned something like that as well. Really seems like the one length option then really has gained some traction, or at least helped lead to some other/similar concepts (I realize cobra want the first to do the one length, just really that a Bryson brought out more mainstream and proved they could work). I think it is also fair to say that variable length has had centuries to develop, obviously one length really is still in its infancy. 
they should arrive tomorrow. first thing to do is tear the grips of, extend them .5”, and re-grip. Can’t wait!

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

I have played one length for the last two years and the biggest revelation for me was getting one length hybrids. They are so good, for me, and I don't lose a ton of distance. I had a one length gap wedge that I hated so I got a conventional gap wedge and I am loving it. Makes me think about going back to conventional irons for PW-8i and then one length for 7i and 6i and then keeping my one length 5hyb and 4hyb which are probably the most consistent clubs in my bag. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Last season's Cobra Connect Challenge really encouraged me to take the leap and try the OL concept ... it's something that I had been researching obsessively even prior to the challenge. For me, with variable lengths, my specs are 1" over standard and 2* up, which makes my 5i the length of that of a 3i in standard length ... and I just mentally struggled to get past (optically as I stood over the ball) the length of my 4i and 5irons and at times even my 6i. 

Ordered Cobra's F9s in OL late last summer and got them at a steep discount since they were cleaning out their inventory, as their SpeedZone irons were their latest model. And even further kudos to Cobra for getting those clubs to me with Nippon 105 S shafts and having Nippon's Wedge shafts in the PW and GW. Also bought their OL 4h as well with the Tensei Blue shaft. 

Initially, I absolutely loved them. I specifically remember my first round with the new clubs and legitimately hitting greens with the 5i and 6i, and just having a natural overall level of confidence with them ... even my golfing buddies immediately noticed the improvement. It just felt easier. And while the 5i thru 8i worked really well for me ... over time, I was really beginning to struggle with the 9i, PW & GW. I just kept missing and blocking my shots to right rather significantly with those 3 clubs. My fellow golf buddies began to notice that I was swinging those clubs too steeply for their lengths, and that I needed to maintain the 7i swing plane. I racked my brain around getting Cobra's Forged Tec in variable lengths from 8i on down to GW and keeping the OLs for the 4H and 5i thru 7i. 

Did catch lightening in a bottle to shoot 79 with those clubs, a smattering of 80s, a lot more 90s than usual and even a couple 100s. It was bad. 

About a month ago, I relegated the One Lengths back in the garage and reverted back to my previous variable length irons and my level of play has gotten night and day better overnight. So much so that I've ordered Maltby iron heads and had them switched into the shafts of my previous irons. On the Maltby TS1 thread, I shared a post about my back 9 score of 39 with my overall score of 85 for this past Sunday. 

At the end of the day, I have no regrets and highly recommend anyone that's considering OLs to take the leap and give them a try ... I'd suggest even buying them used to make sure you're comfortable with it for a season or two, then upgrade to a newer set (if need be). Once my current iron make-up is complete, I'll be posting my Cobra F9 OL on the trade/buy/sell page. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

On 5/23/2021 at 10:59 PM, Bridgesb said:

I play the new Radspeed Ones.  The wedge don't spin as much as conventional length irons but I hit them twice as high so it's a wash for me. Pitching wedge flies like a lob wedge but carries like a PW.   Takes a little time to get used to but I'm happy with them.  Like most things like this, they're not for everyone.  I think they help me because my weakness is getting too hunched over my short irons. Play to a 3 and I'm more accurate than I've ever been.

I’d like to hear more of your thoughts on the radspeed irons, if you don’t mind. I’m torn between them and the King Tour MIM’s. I’m looking for irons to grow with a bit, but I don’t want to be punished too bad for off center hits. I think that might happen with the Tours. 

Thanks in advance. 🤙

“I wish my wife were as dirty as my golf clubs…”

• 3 weeks later...

For what it is worth, I currently play F9 One Lengths and I am trying to move back to variable irons (at least for 7i - PW) and I hit the Cobra MIM Tour and thought it was/is great. Not super harsh or unforgiving and I hit it alongside several Mizuno clubs (JPX 921 tour and JPX 921 forged) and the cobra Forged TECs which were all much harsher (to me). The MIM's felt very soft coming from the F9s and I had a ton of confidence with them. Take it with a grain of salt as I was only hitting 7 irons but I was hitting them off of real grass on a launch monitor. Spin is up and ball speed is slightly down which is ideal for me as this means more consistency of distance for good/great shots. Definitely hit them yourself if you are able but as someone who has always been intimidated by any irons other than strict game improvement I am now wondering if I have been selling myself short for the past few years. I still want to try out the P770, Apex Pros, Ben Hogan PTXpro and Srixon ZX5. 

One other note on a success of one length, I have two one length hybrids that are absolutely magic. I just think the one length experiment starts to punish you on your shorter clubs because the club starts to get too long to feel like you have great control. This kind of shakes out when I watch Bryson consistently blast his wedges long from fairway lies into the green. 

Edited by vandyland
grammar

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 6/28/2021 at 1:12 PM, vandyland said:

I have two one length hybrids that are absolutely magic.

Absolutely love my one length hybrids.  Very much a "go to" club.  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

4 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Absolutely love my one length hybrids.  Very much a "go to" club.  

They really are great. What is funny is I can never get anyone to even try them. Good players, bad players...most people (my friends) look at the hybrid like they will get leprosy if they touch it. "Is that a kids club?" "What toy store did you buy that from?" I think it would really help my friend who is a 22 hdcp but good with his short irons but he is, of course, the most opposed to it. Keep doing you, man, hahaha.

The craziest thing is I can still hit a 4Hyb 210 carry which is *maybe* 3-5 yards short of a standard hybrid carry at the same loft and my consistency of strike is always pretty good. Literally what feels like "awful" contact on the rare miss with it still goes straight and carries like 190. Truly, as of the last 5 months, the best club in my bag. Would rather be 180-200 out than 165-180 out. 

• 4 weeks later...