TESTERS WANTED! ×

Grip/swing issue

Hi
So i started golf 5 years ago at age 30. I got hooked instantly after trying some play and play course. I got my card to be released to play on the 18 hole courses and got my handicap. Im not very tall, but from the beginning i could get it out there at a decent distance. Sliced like no other with driver, but got a few lessons to fix the slice, and then just went on my own again from there, and within the first 9 months my handicap got down to 11. That was mainly from hitting it pretty far and keeping it in play. My shortgame was horrible.
I had a ultra strong grip, but somehow managed to hit it very VERY straight with driver and irons anyway. Had issuses with hooks from time to time. 
So i started taking lessons. First thing that was fixed was ofcourse my grip. Instant loss of power, because i was all arms before, so i had to learn how to use my body more to rotate into the ball. I stuck with it for 1 year or so, but my golf just became worse and worse, and i actully quit golf for a while, because i was so tired of it

Started golf again, because i thought, i started to good, so why couldnt i make it work. Started playing for myself, and it never got really good ( i was still using what i had learned from the coach and not my beginner grip ) Hovered around handicap 10 or so after 3 years of playing

Started seeing a new coach with 14 days or so inbetween lessons. I got better and better with a neutral grip, and clubheadspeed is now around 112-114 and driver is by far my best weapon by far. Irons have never gotten back to what they where without lessons from the first 1. I battle a hook mostly, but just overall poor really compared to my putting, chipping, and driving

Then yesterday, when again going out practicing my irons, trying to get into the positions my coach wants me. I tried, just for the fun of it, to try my grip from the first year i played. Its insanely strong, and nothing any coach would teach. Right thumb on the side of the grip etc, and hands much infront of the ball at adress and i instantly started ripping irons very straight, high and long. A few bad thick ones over the session, but nothing compared to when i try my neutral grip, and VERY insecure over the ball with the neutral grip
With my old old grip, i just went up and gripped and ripped it. Not a swing thought at all

Atm im pretty much at a loss on what to do. I kinda feel the last 2 years have been a "waste" if i just go back to my grip, from when i started, or if i should just keep on going with neutral grip and belive it will get better eventully

I did get down 5.9 with the neutral grip though, but hovering around handicap 7 atm
Ill go play 18 today with the old ultra strong grip, and see if it was just a fluke, but if it isent, im thinking about showing my coach it, and see what he says

Any advice is welcome ( and sorry for the bad english )

Edited by leska

I say do what works for you. No two swings are the same, and if you can be consistent with something, stick with it; especially if it works.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

I like your idea of showing it to your coach.  Tell him what you told us and have him explain the reasoning behind having you stay with a neutral grip.  

The grip is only one part of the equation, albeit, a very important part of the game.  You mentioned that your old swing was all arms.  Changing to a neutral grip may force you to engage your lower body more, which would be good for your whole game.  And, the last few years have not been a waste.  You have gone from and 11 to a 5.9, 7 atm.  That is a quite a lot of improvement.  As your handicap drops, it gets harder and harder to lower it.  It think it's more difficult top go from 10 to 5 than from 20 to 10.  

Finally, you mention that you don't have to think about your strong grip, "no swing thought at all."  Yeah, that's how you taught your self and it feels comfortable.  If you talk to the coach and decide to stay with the neutral grip, make it a goal to get as comfortable with the neutral grip as you are with the strong grip.  It takes practice, but it's practice you can do at home.  Grab a club and take your grip several times a day.  Do it with your eyes closed, feel the club in your hands.  Rinse and repeat until you can take the grip without thought.     

19 minutes ago, alfriday101 said:

I like your idea of showing it to your coach.  Tell him what you told us and have him explain the reasoning behind having you stay with a neutral grip.  

The grip is only one part of the equation, albeit, a very important part of the game.  You mentioned that your old swing was all arms.  Changing to a neutral grip may force you to engage your lower body more, which would be good for your whole game.  And, the last few years have not been a waste.  You have gone from and 11 to a 5.9, 7 atm.  That is a quite a lot of improvement.  As your handicap drops, it gets harder and harder to lower it.  It think it's more difficult top go from 10 to 5 than from 20 to 10.  

Finally, you mention that you don't have to think about your strong grip, "no swing thought at all."  Yeah, that's how you taught your self and it feels comfortable.  If you talk to the coach and decide to stay with the neutral grip, make it a goal to get as comfortable with the neutral grip as you are with the strong grip.  It takes practice, but it's practice you can do at home.  Grab a club and take your grip several times a day.  Do it with your eyes closed, feel the club in your hands.  Rinse and repeat until you can take the grip without thought.     

Thanks for all the help ! Going back to my coach in about a week. Will show him my old grip and the grip and rip it method, and hear what he thinks i should follow

Didnt go threw with playing 18 holes with my old ultra strong grip. Will wait till ive been by my coach, and take it from there

I heard it’s how you carry your hands. Some people’s hands are turned in and some people hands are turn out naturally when they stand and walk.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

On 5/24/2021 at 1:37 AM, leska said:

Leska its good you have the passion to get better & you found a coach who you like and getting results.  instructors can see things in our mechanics we don't see.  The danger (LOL) is when we try to self-diagnose.  Don't be resistant to a change especially if a change that is producing results. Congrats to getting down to a 5.9, that's awesome! Your coach may see something in your swing with new grip, which gets you in the correct positions to make a good swing, hence the drop from 12 to 5.9. Plus you're playing more, which hopefully helps with repetition of what you learn from your coach.  Take a video of your old swing you want your coach to see, so he/she can evaluate your swing as you were playing. this should give your instructor an idea what positions you are in with the strong grip and compare it to the new set up & grip and can help you understand why the change. Be patient with change and keep your passion!  Good luck!! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0