TESTERS WANTED! ×

Irons distance help

Hi spies,

Forgive me if someone has already asked this question before, but I am having trouble right now with hitting my irons too far. The lofts on them are fairly strong, but worked for me when I was fitted for them back in the fall. The problem is that I have gotten back in to working out and am now hitting my clubs about 10 to 15 yards longer on average. So would I need to get refitted for irons or would just having someone weaken the lofts around 2 degrees be a better option. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Also lofts of my irons are below if that helps.

Screenshot_20210511-134040_Chrome.jpg

Are you just hitting them longer or is the dispersion starting to get wonky?  If they are just longer it's not that big a deal so long as your gapping and dispersion remains consistent - you'll have to consider whether or not to create a bigger gap in the upper part of your bag to add a more lofted wedge at some point.

I'd be cautious about over reacting - that's for certain.

I hope that helps a bit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

21 minutes ago, Tpoole22 said:

Hi spies,

Forgive me if someone has already asked this question before, but I am having trouble right now with hitting my irons too far. The lofts on them are fairly strong, but worked for me when I was fitted for them back in the fall. The problem is that I have gotten back in to working out and am now hitting my clubs about 10 to 15 yards longer on average. So would I need to get refitted for irons or would just having someone weaken the lofts around 2 degrees be a better option. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Also lofts of my irons are below if that helps.

Screenshot_20210511-134040_Chrome.jpg

So I have to ask, is this really a "problem" that needs solved?  Are your gaps still consistent club to club and are you still getting good spin?  If they are I'm kind of inclined to say congrats on your newfound distance, and maybe instead you need to look at the top end of your bag if that 4 iron has shrunk the gap to your hybrid/fairway end of things...maybe new sticks there rather than new irons.  Just a thought.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

It could also be since being fit, on top of working out you are hitting them more pure so it seems like you are hitting them farther. Like Rev said, trend it and maybe your find out you now have tighter distance dispersions and overall fine gapping.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I’m with @revkev if dispersion isn’t getting worse and you can’t gap properly throughout the bag not sure this is really a problem more so than making the right adjustment to on course play

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Are you just hitting them longer or is the dispersion starting to get wonky?  If they are just longer it's not that big a deal so long as your gapping and dispersion remains consistent - you'll have to consider whether or not to create a bigger gap in the upper part of your bag to add a more lofted wedge at some point.

I'd be cautious about over reacting - that's for certain.

I hope that helps a bit.

You are probably right and my dispersion is actually getting better. I just got a little worried when I was hitting my 6 iron around 210-215 this past weekend. I just thought it was too far for that club. It just makes it harder for me because my wedges are the worst part of my game so when I have to pull them out more things tend to start going down hill. That's why my first thought was for irons. 

Thanks for the help

6 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I have to ask, is this really a "problem" that needs solved?  Are your gaps still consistent club to club and are you still getting good spin?  If they are I'm kind of inclined to say congrats on your newfound distance, and maybe instead you need to look at the top end of your bag if that 4 iron has shrunk the gap to your hybrid/fairway end of things...maybe new sticks there rather than new irons.  Just a thought.

Everything seems to be good there as far as gapping and spin. I already go from 5 iron to hybrid so maybe adding another wood could be an option. 

Thanks for the response

Thanks for the responses everyone

I probably was over reacting a bit and with yalls help ended up answering my own question in a way. Probably going to have to end up just getting a wedge fitting to get the bottom part of the bag to fit in with my new iron distances. 

So good news I get to go check out this year's line up of wedges!

The other question to ask is what is your iron set makeup?  Do you already go all the way to the 11 iron (gap wedge)?  Personally I'd try to spend a little time with each iron you play and figure out what distances they are going.  After that you can look at the top end of he bag and plot out what distances you want to fill between your longest iron and your driver.  If you are hitting it farther you might only have 1-2 clubs that fill a needed gap there.  Then you can look at the bottom end of the bag and figure out what distances you want a full swing to go and then it's just a matter to finding the lofts that will fit that distance.

I don't think I heard this said yet either, but make sure it wasn't a one shot only type of situation, and that it wasn't hotter than normal and down wind.  

From the sounds of it though I'll just add congrats on the new found distance, and a preemptive congrats on the new woods and/or wedges you will be getting 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

7 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

I wish I had that problem with my irons....  better than losing distance 😭

Same boat, I wish I could hit my 6 iron 210 or even my 3 wood 🤣

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

On 5/24/2021 at 10:39 PM, hckymeyer said:

The other question to ask is what is your iron set makeup?  Do you already go all the way to the 11 iron (gap wedge)?  Personally I'd try to spend a little time with each iron you play and figure out what distances they are going.  After that you can look at the top end of he bag and plot out what distances you want to fill between your longest iron and your driver.  If you are hitting it farther you might only have 1-2 clubs that fill a needed gap there.  Then you can look at the bottom end of the bag and figure out what distances you want a full swing to go and then it's just a matter to finding the lofts that will fit that distance.

I don't think I heard this said yet either, but make sure it wasn't a one shot only type of situation, and that it wasn't hotter than normal and down wind.  

From the sounds of it though I'll just add congrats on the new found distance, and a preemptive congrats on the new woods and/or wedges you will be getting 🙂

You are kind of right, i did have one shot with my 6 iron that was slightly downhill and down wind that flew 220 and that's when I figured I might have a problem with my distance. Luckily there were plenty of rational responses, which is honestly surprising that more people didn't encourage buying new clubs haha

Thanks for the input. I definitely plan on trying to get on a launch monitor soon to nail down exact distances before i decide which end of the bag to go after.