TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for used fairway wood suggestions for an old guy (me).

Hook DeLoft

Hitting a 3 wood off the ground has become an exercise in futility.  I guess it's a combination of decreasing club head speed and bad technique.  I hit a new Callaway Epic Max off the grass at a recent Callaway fitting day and hit it extremely well:  nice flight and distance.  However, I'm not keen on spending 300 samollians for it.  So, I'm looking for recommendations for easy to launch fairway woods on the used market that might work for a slow swinging senior. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

4 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Hitting a 3 wood off the ground has become an exercise in futility.  I guess it's a combination of decreasing club head speed and bad technique.  I hit a new Callaway Epic Max off the grass at a recent Callaway fitting day and hit it extremely well:  nice flight and distance.  However, I'm not keen on spending 300 samollians for it.  So, I'm looking for recommendations for easy to launch fairway woods on the used market that might work for a slow swinging senior. 

Go 4 or 5 wood, the higher loft is going to give you more forgivness and not significatly sacrafice distance.  I grabbed a Marvrik 4 wood from Callaway Pre-owned for $120 this winter and it's been a revelation for me.  THis was coming off a few rounds at Bandon where I cold topped at least 5 3 woods in 5 rounds, two of them were on one hole.  With the 4 wood, nothing but bullets!  

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

8 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Mizuno STZ is one of the highest launching fairway woods of the year. 

anyone looking for more launch off the deck should have this at the top of their list

23 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Taking a look at going with a different shaft might also help you out in getting it in the air.  Just a thought.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

51 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Taking a look at going with a different shaft might also help you out in getting it in the air.  Just a thought.

Absolutely. I bought a F9 5 Wood that has a UST Helium light shaft on it. It's a mid to high launch shaft and it made a huge difference  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I may try the Cobra F9 if I can find one with the Helium shaft.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I got a cobra f8 5 wood brand new this year with Aldila nv shaft, does the job for the price I paid for sure, even got cobra connect on it to pair with my arccos, Previously played some cleveland wood, was hitting them well but the feel on the cobra is better, also the price I got it, hard to beat. Still miss some shot but that's the guy not the stick.

Strongly advise you to go adjustable 4-5 wood on the market. I play my 5 wood at 17 degree.

Cobra tend to be a little cheaper but any brand used from 2-3 years ago should do the job

I have Cobra King F7 Fairways and Hybrid and love them (I believe Rick Shiels still uses an F7 3wood).  You should find them at decent prices now too. 

I hit them off low tees or occasionally off the deck, and from the fairway or rough.  I recently got a 'duplicate' 3 wood to use instead of driver, I set the loft to lowest (13deg) and had an inch added to the shaft to give me more options. I turn 60 in a couple of days and have a relatively slow swing speed (around 85mph Driver, reach 90 on a very good day), and hit both 3 woods further and straighter than my driver on average.

Edited by Pandaman

My experience is find a clubhead with a flat bottom, not rounded.  I get more confidence that the sole will slide evenly on the ground, not dig in or side slip if the sole is flat for 2 or 3 inches wide.  Similar concept at the original Cobra Railer, but I prefer no rail.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I just bought a Wilson C300 5 wood with the regular FUJIKURA SPEEDER PRO 68 GRAPHITE shaft because my 3 and 4 hybrids go the same distance and I hope this creates a gap. Waiting for it to arrive. I can play it down to 17 degrees, leave it as is (which is the plan) or make it 19 like my 3H (Callaway X2Hot). I could not find a Cobra F8 or F9 for a lefty at a good price. My 3 wood may be replaced next.

I've recently picked up a couple used SIM Max (original SIM, not SIM 2) fairways (7 and 9 !, but have also hit a 5 wood). I struggle with low launch, so a 3 wood might as well be a putter, but I agree with what others have posted about going to higher lofted fairways. I'll gladly set aside vanity to hit better shots. Overall i find something about the sole and leading edge to be confidence-inspiring for me to hit off the turf. I also find that the speed pocket seems to produce better results on low face strikes (especially important for shots off the turf than a previous epic flash fairway i had. I definitely miss the center of the face in a low-heel to high-toe pattern, so the twist-face also works pretty well for me.

Searching around different used outlets, i was able to find them from $100-200, you may have even better selection for a 5-wood.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353449448492?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=353449448492&targetid=1263094003826&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9007347&poi=&campaignid=11612431353&mkgroupid=121893126363&rlsatarget=pla-1263094003826&abcId=9300456&merchantid=6490304&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-KtODaMOmNNNXIaSmdN_4jRv5FPRgRLDkiP99nnt6yhhlrhQcquD7saAoeLEALw_wcB

Find a used Adams tight lie 3 wood (metal).  There is a reason that club started, and maintains a following.  It works like magic.  I will never give my 3 and 5 tight lie clubs up.  Sure you can spend a lot of money on fairway woods and be disappointed,  I have seen these gems sold out of bargain barrels for $5 !  Try these, you’ll like them.  

The best 3-wood I've ever used for both distance and ease of getting up in the air is the Acer XS Titanium 3-wood. There are several things about this head design that make it so. I think Hireko stopped making them around 2015. If you can still find one, consider it. If it's the wrong shaft flex, it's not hard to re-shaft.

That said, I no longer have it in my bag. Instead, I have a 16° hybrid. My good shots go almost as far as that 3-wood, and a noticeably larger percentage of my shots are good. Easier to get up in the air, too. So consider a low-loft hybrid instead of a 3-wood.

1 hour ago, HarveyDiamond said:

Find a used Adams tight lie 3 wood (metal).  There is a reason that club started, and maintains a following.  It works like magic.  I will never give my 3 and 5 tight lie clubs up.  Sure you can spend a lot of money on fairway woods and be disappointed,  I have seen these gems sold out of bargain barrels for $5 !  Try these, you’ll like them.  

Agreed. I’ve had a Tight Lies 2 for 5/6 years now and it’s automatic.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Even when I was younger and had good swing speed, I never was consistent with the three wood.    

Hitting it off a tee was okay, but hitting it off the deck was not usually solid other than the occasional terrific shot which kept it in the bag.

I'm just over 60 now, so I'm not swinging as hard as I used to swing.

I happened to purchase a used three wood with a low profile that was 17* loft, and my skills immediately improved dramatically.  I used to carry a 15* Three wood and an 18* Five wood, and then a 21* hybrid.    Now I just carry the 17* fairway as my strongest fairway wood, and then the hybrid. While I always used to hit that Five wood very well, it no longer fits into my distance gaps.   Sure, I have lost a little distance, but I seem to find it to be an easy to hit club, unlike my previous Three woods (more than one) that I have had.

I didn't name a brand or model on purpose, as that stuff is very subjective.  I would recommend using a low profile fairway that is 16.5* or higher to start, considering you mentioned you are also getting a bit older and slower.   None of this is groundbreaking information, but it works for me.

I have the same problem. I went to a five wood. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Thanks for the replies.  I just ordered a demo with a senior shaft from Sub 70.  We'll se how it goes.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

37 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Thanks for the replies.  I just ordered a demo with a senior shaft from Sub 70.  We'll se how it goes.

Good move!  Also, the reply that Twyatt700 gave you saying that you should consider a 4 or 5 wood (anywhere from 16.5 to 19 degrees of loft) is very solid advice.  I am 72, and have lost some clubhead speed over the last few years, although I'm still above 95 MPH for the most part with the driver and about 92 MPH with my 4-wood.  I haven't carried a 3-wood in at least 4 years, and for a while I was gaming only a 17.5* strong 5-wood from Tour Edge Golf in between the driver and my hybrid(s).  That was until I found a couple of 16.5* 4-woods that I like.  Currently, I play a 16.5* Titleist TS2 4-wood, and I am loving it from both the tee and the fairway.  Today, I played an 18-hole match in my senior travel league, and I was having "driver issues" throughout the front nine, hooking two tee shots OB left and hitting a few other ugly shots with it.  I didn't take the driver out of my bag once on the back nine, hitting either the 4-wood or my 19* 3-hybrid off the tee even on par-5 holes, and improved my score by a full 9 shots vs. what I shot on the front nine.  The 4-wood also works VERY well for me from the deck, something that I found difficult with a 3-wood.

Edited by funkyjudge
added info

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Let us know how it works my tour edge 3 wood hit it a mile or a vicious hook OB but certainly had pop to it. I’ve given up & gone with a ping g 400 5 wood adjusted to 16 degrees & love it. It’s performing beautifully rght now it is about a 245 yard club for me if I smash it off the deck.

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

If you want the most bang for your buck, my opinion is the XXIO. You can get the 3 wood, keep your distance or even increase it due to the lightweight shaft and head of the club. I used to be a PING 410 guy, but now I have become an XXIO BELIEVER!!  Driver & 3 wood have entered me into the longer category. 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

I may try the Cobra F9 if I can find one with the Helium shaft.

You can get the Mavrik with a Helium shaft for $149.99.  Most of their like new clubs are actually new and come with the wrapper still on the head.  It is the easiest 3 wood to hit that I have used in these 73 years.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/fairway-woods/fwoods-2020-mavrik.html

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I'm an ole high indexer so I feel your pain and the tug on the wallet of new club.  I use an ole TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood regular flex and send the ball a long way, 190-200 yards,  down range with a fairly high degree of accuracy. As a right hander I can even move my grip down the right side e.g. weak grip and launch the ball into a nice fade around doglegs and/or any trouble. Off subject I recently purchased a TaylorMade Sim Max 3 Hybrid stiff flex against all recommendations. The tiny little new hybrid is so easy to swing and hit the ball. I'm getting 170 yards out of that club. My point is think out of the box, trying a variety of different clubs before you spend your hard earned samollians.

Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW, AW Men's Right Hand, Standard, Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Steel Regular Flex

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815, Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 565, Regular Flex 

Dexterity: right-handed

Live in Fresno, Ca 93270

Current handicap 33.5 and slowly going down... 

Ball: Titleist Velocity Orange & TaylorMade Distance 

Putters: Odyssey O-Works Red #7S Putter; Odyssey Whitehot XG #9; Nike BC 101 Heel-Toe Putter

I was in the same boat 3-4 years ago. I could no longer get the ball decently off the ground with a 3 wood. I ended up buying a 2016 Taylor Made HL M2 3 wood. The HL designation stands for High Loft and instead of a 15° loft it has a 16.5 ° loft and it's much easier to get up in the air. I could finally get the ball in the air again. 16.5° is actually the loft of a 4 wood but TM knows that we don't like saying that we resorted to buying a 4 wood because we are getting older. Mine has a Sr. shaft. I also will agree with the poster recommending a XXIO 3 wood. I haven't actually hit one but last year I did buy a XXIO Prime 9 driver and WOW, it was the easiest driver to hit that I've ever had the pleasure of hitting. I've regained between 10-20 yards of lost distance and hit it much higher than My 2016 Taylor Made M2 12° driver. If the 3 wood is anything like that driver, you'll love it. Just one caution though, the XXIO stuff seems to work best for golfers with a swing like mine. It's best with a smooth swing. Those who have a more violent transition from backswing to downward don't seem to have as much luck.

2 minutes ago, golfmule said:

I was in the same boat 3-4 years ago. I could no longer get the ball decently off the ground with a 3 wood. I ended up buying a 2016 Taylor Made HL M2 3 wood. The HL designation stands for High Loft and instead of a 15° loft it has a 16.5 ° loft and it's much easier to get up in the air. I could finally get the ball in the air again. 16.5° is actually the loft of a 4 wood but TM knows that we don't like saying that we resorted to buying a 4 wood because we are getting older.

I switched over to the 3 wood with the high launch as well. I played the standard SLDR 3 wood then I picked up a new left over Taylor Made SLDR HL about 2 years ago. Worked out very well. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2016 m2 3hl. One of the best fairways still around. The Sim2 version is pretty good too if you can find it used

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A fairway club that is easy to hit off the ground would be one that has a shallow face that is 30 to 34 mm face height.

Also a loft of 15* to 17*, 42.5" to 43.50" in length and head size of 160 to 165 cc.  A graphite shaft with a low kick point and weighs 55 to 60 grams.

And a grip that is slightly smaller so the hands/wrist can rotate the face square to closed at impact for more distance.

Any clubmaker can make one to these specs. for about $100.

I'll second what others have said. Loft it up. Us mere mortals weren't meant to be hitting 15° and below woods off the grass. I have a decent swing speed, but I still much prefer the consistency of hitting a wood more in the middle of your stance and hitting down or neutral on it. You tend to make way better and more consistent contact. I'll recommend my M4HL (high loft) woods. The 3 wood is 16.5° and the 5 wood is 21°. If you hit it with a more neutral stance, you'll be way more consistent out of the grass. Alternatively, buy any 5 wood and don't carry a 3 wood. 

M4 9.5° / M4 3HL wood 16.5° / M4 5HL wood 21°

Sub70 699 pro black 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 50°/54°/58°

Tommy armour impact Series 3 original 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Cobra F6 Baffler. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low