Looking for used fairway wood suggestions for an old guy (me).

Let us know how it works my tour edge 3 wood hit it a mile or a vicious hook OB but certainly had pop to it. I’ve given up & gone with a ping g 400 5 wood adjusted to 16 degrees & love it. It’s performing beautifully rght now it is about a 245 yard club for me if I smash it off the deck.

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

If you want the most bang for your buck, my opinion is the XXIO. You can get the 3 wood, keep your distance or even increase it due to the lightweight shaft and head of the club. I used to be a PING 410 guy, but now I have become an XXIO BELIEVER!!  Driver & 3 wood have entered me into the longer category. 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

I may try the Cobra F9 if I can find one with the Helium shaft.

You can get the Mavrik with a Helium shaft for $149.99.  Most of their like new clubs are actually new and come with the wrapper still on the head.  It is the easiest 3 wood to hit that I have used in these 73 years.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/fairway-woods/fwoods-2020-mavrik.html

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash with Mitsubishi C6 Red 50 R-flex  shaft
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball - :Snell: MTB-X

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

I'm an ole high indexer so I feel your pain and the tug on the wallet of new club.  I use an ole TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood regular flex and send the ball a long way, 190-200 yards,  down range with a fairly high degree of accuracy. As a right hander I can even move my grip down the right side e.g. weak grip and launch the ball into a nice fade around doglegs and/or any trouble. Off subject I recently purchased a TaylorMade Sim Max 3 Hybrid stiff flex against all recommendations. The tiny little new hybrid is so easy to swing and hit the ball. I'm getting 170 yards out of that club. My point is think out of the box, trying a variety of different clubs before you spend your hard earned samollians.

Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW, AW Men's Right Hand, Standard, Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Steel Regular Flex

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815, Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 565, Regular Flex 

Dexterity: right-handed

Live in Fresno, Ca 93270

Current handicap 33.5 and slowly going down... 

Ball: Titleist Velocity Orange & TaylorMade Distance 

Putters: Odyssey O-Works Red #7S Putter; Odyssey Whitehot XG #9; Nike BC 101 Heel-Toe Putter

I was in the same boat 3-4 years ago. I could no longer get the ball decently off the ground with a 3 wood. I ended up buying a 2016 Taylor Made HL M2 3 wood. The HL designation stands for High Loft and instead of a 15° loft it has a 16.5 ° loft and it's much easier to get up in the air. I could finally get the ball in the air again. 16.5° is actually the loft of a 4 wood but TM knows that we don't like saying that we resorted to buying a 4 wood because we are getting older. Mine has a Sr. shaft. I also will agree with the poster recommending a XXIO 3 wood. I haven't actually hit one but last year I did buy a XXIO Prime 9 driver and WOW, it was the easiest driver to hit that I've ever had the pleasure of hitting. I've regained between 10-20 yards of lost distance and hit it much higher than My 2016 Taylor Made M2 12° driver. If the 3 wood is anything like that driver, you'll love it. Just one caution though, the XXIO stuff seems to work best for golfers with a swing like mine. It's best with a smooth swing. Those who have a more violent transition from backswing to downward don't seem to have as much luck.

2 minutes ago, golfmule said:

I was in the same boat 3-4 years ago. I could no longer get the ball decently off the ground with a 3 wood. I ended up buying a 2016 Taylor Made HL M2 3 wood. The HL designation stands for High Loft and instead of a 15° loft it has a 16.5 ° loft and it's much easier to get up in the air. I could finally get the ball in the air again. 16.5° is actually the loft of a 4 wood but TM knows that we don't like saying that we resorted to buying a 4 wood because we are getting older.

I switched over to the 3 wood with the high launch as well. I played the standard SLDR 3 wood then I picked up a new left over Taylor Made SLDR HL about 2 years ago. Worked out very well. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

2016 m2 3hl. One of the best fairways still around. The Sim2 version is pretty good too if you can find it used

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A fairway club that is easy to hit off the ground would be one that has a shallow face that is 30 to 34 mm face height.

Also a loft of 15* to 17*, 42.5" to 43.50" in length and head size of 160 to 165 cc.  A graphite shaft with a low kick point and weighs 55 to 60 grams.

And a grip that is slightly smaller so the hands/wrist can rotate the face square to closed at impact for more distance.

Any clubmaker can make one to these specs. for about $100.

I'll second what others have said. Loft it up. Us mere mortals weren't meant to be hitting 15° and below woods off the grass. I have a decent swing speed, but I still much prefer the consistency of hitting a wood more in the middle of your stance and hitting down or neutral on it. You tend to make way better and more consistent contact. I'll recommend my M4HL (high loft) woods. The 3 wood is 16.5° and the 5 wood is 21°. If you hit it with a more neutral stance, you'll be way more consistent out of the grass. Alternatively, buy any 5 wood and don't carry a 3 wood. 

M4 9.5° / M4 3HL wood 16.5° / M4 5HL wood 21°

Sub70 699 pro black 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 50°/54°/58°

Tommy armour impact Series 3 original 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Cobra F6 Baffler. 

• Like 1

Titleist Blind Tester

• Driver: :ping-small: K15
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 7S, F8 7W  AD DI 8S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

Anything Cobra.  They make terrific Fairway woods.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

1 minute ago, fozcycle said:

Anything Cobra.  They make terrific Fairway woods.

Agree with this have the SZ 3 wood, f9 5 wood and just got the SZ driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW OBAN CT-100 Hard Step S Shafts  

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag