2021 Official Review-Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 Putters

The reviewers so far have seemed to indicate that the putter does equal to or better than their gamers.  What strategy are you using to evaluate the putter and what metrics are you going to keep? 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Great starts all! Love the intros and getting a bit of a sneak peak so far. 
As stated in the previous thread I had a list of questions for you guys.
-How did you each select the putter you have now for testing?
-I know it will be covered in the review, but outside of the head itself quick thoughts on the black shaft and grip? Would the grip be something you would replace or what is it similar to?
-Last did it come with a head cover? If not (I saw 1 MGS head cover) what will be protecting this new beauty you are testing?

Cheers!

I went with the #2 because I gamed mallets in the past and wanted to see how a blade worked with my stroke. Since the wide has only marginal toe hang, I figured that would be an easier entry point

I like the black shaft. Reminds me of my stroke lab sorta. The grip is really nice but took a little bit to adjust to coming from oversized grips. Had to really focus on holding a baby bird. If I start to struggle with face control, I may replace the grip but that will be after the review process. 

As for headcovers I am the one with the MGS. Wanted to represent regardless of if ours came with one or not. Mine did not come with one. Some others may have. 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The reviewers so far have seemed to indicate that the putter does equal to or better than their gamers.  What strategy are you using to evaluate the putter and what metrics are you going to keep? 

I am comparing to Arccos for now. May do some side by side testing later, although this is really gonna be about this product. For me, if I can keep my SG trending up with this putter and cut down the number of putts a round that would be a success. I would avg about 38 putts a round with my gamers. So far my first 18 I think I was at 33. 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Like @rbsiedsc I am using my Arccos data for side by side comparison, but those numbers can be subjective to a lot of things from the weather to the pace of play and just how well I feel at the time I am playing, so I do also intend to do some side by side, same green comparison, at the end of the day it all depends on how confident I am feeling with the putter round after round.

Looking back, my best round of the past year, I had 18 putts for 9 holes, and 37 for 18.

With this putter I had 14 putts on a total new 9 holes that I had never played before, so there was improvement to be seen, however, I found those greens fairly flat and not a lot of break, so they might have been just easier greens.

• Like 3

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Great start, before I really liked the No. 3, but now I am liking the No. 2 wide. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

:cobra-small: Radspeed 9* @ 8*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6-X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:Sub70: 699 U 22* KBS TOUR 130X

:Sub70: CB 5,6 Dynamic Gold X100

:Sub70: MB 7-PW Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 56*,60* Dynamic Gold S400

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" Gravity Grip (Testing in Progress

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

Terrific intros all, just a warning… the black shafts pit a lot. I have the first TA 3 and have been using a black marker to hide the pitting on the shaft.

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

8 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Great starts all! Love the intros and getting a bit of a sneak peak so far. 
As stated in the previous thread I had a list of questions for you guys.
-How did you each select the putter you have now for testing?
-I know it will be covered in the review, but outside of the head itself quick thoughts on the black shaft and grip? Would the grip be something you would replace or what is it similar to?
-Last did it come with a head cover? If not (I saw 1 MGS head cover) what will be protecting this new beauty you are testing?

Cheers!

I mentioned it previously but the reason I chose the No. 3 was because it was different from my other putters. No better way to see if something works than to try it.

I don’t mind the black shaft or grip. I usually use that Super Stroke Pistol GT 1.0 with the counterweight in my other putters. The grip feels nice and I would be curious as to how the counterweight would perform on this putter but I’m going to leave it at least until the review is over.

There was only 1 or 2 people whose putters came with covers and that really bums me out. I bought one off Amazon and it works but it doesn’t really fit very well since this putter has such a small head. I looked on eBay to see if there were any up for sale and I didn’t find anything. I believe in treating my clubs well so I protect all the hybrids, woods, and putter with covers. No iron covers over here but I do clean them after every shot.

• Like 5

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10.5º (Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 Stiff)

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15º (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Hybrid 1: Titleist 818 H1 19º (Tensei HYB blue 80 Stiff)

Hybrid 2: Titleist TS2 23º (Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff)

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-PW (AMT Black Regular Flex)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48 10F, SM8 52 12F, SM8 56 10S (Slate finish with AMT Black Stiff Flex)

Putter: Kirkland Signature KS1 and PXG Blackjack

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

41 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Terrific intros all, just a warning… the black shafts pit a lot. I have the first TA 3 and have been using a black marker to hide the pitting on the shaft.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up

• Like 3

Sorry I'm a day behind, but I'm thrilled to be testing the Impact No. 2 putter.  This is my 2nd test for MGS, as last year I tested the Honma TR 20 440 driver which is still in the bag (link in signature)

Though I've been a pretty decent player for awhile, putting has been the game within a game that was most likely to derail my round.  About 9 years ago, I got my Odyssey Sabertooth White Ice, which replaced my Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that I had used since high school. I recently changed the grip, and I've been toying with conventional, cross-hand, claw, pencil grips etc, but my putting has been pretty poor this season, mostly with speed controls and trust issues due to way too many 3 putts.

In March, I took the Sabertooth out of the bag, and used an old Sam Sneed Blue Ridge blade putter that my grandma bought for $5 from a garage sale 25 years ago, and I had one of my better putting rounds of the year, posting a 71. 

The next round wasn't so good, so I went back to the Sabertooth and struggled again, and then the last few rounds I got the Old Scotty back from my dad and putted decently well.  My speed control was much better and my 3 putts were down, but I didn't quite feel the same control  on shorter putts.

Here are the putters I've used over the years

image.png.44b34770b18caf1dac59bf9c4a429be6.png

I was thankful that Scotty held me over for a month til I got my hands on the Tommy Armour.  I picked the No. 2 for a couple of reasons.  

1. It did great in the MGS Most wanted testing, specifically on short to mid range putts

2. I've gone back and forth between a mallet and a blade, and this wide blade kinda fits that sweet spot

Some of the other testers did not get putter covers, but because I got mine late, I think it was shipped from a different branch, and I was fortunate to receive one.  My first impression is that this putter would get easily dinged up without a putter cover due to the materials and paint, so definitely want to keep it under covered up. The head is heavier than I expected, and it is very easy to keep square at impact. Also the face feels softer so I feel like I need to hit it harder than my other putters to get the ball to the hole.  Also I'm TBD on changing the grip. I'm used to a bigger Superstroke grip, but I'm going to use this one for at least a few weeks before I consider a change.

Anyway, you want pictures of the putter and headcover, so here they are:

image.png.f76efc4c099b880c3dd3803fbb452a1b.png

My first round was on a course with very slow greens compared to my usual, so I didn't read too much into it yet. I have a 15 ft Perfect Practice Mat in the office, so I'll be using it daily to get the feel down, and hope to have some good on the course feedback soon. 

About Me: I am 38 years old Texan, married to an Okie,  and have 2 great kids.  I am currently a 0.3, and trying to get back to scratch soon and hope to play in some local tournaments this summer.  I work in industrial sales, mostly instrumentation and filtration products, and I make sure to take breaks to putt, chip, and shoot hoops in the office.  Most of my golf is Saturday mornings, but trying to find a way to get more golf on the clock.  When I'm not at work, playing golf, tweeting, or doing projects around the house, I like to cook on my Blackstone Grill 

image.png.4d63a81d16e0c6fec8a3020955b71c66.png 

• Like 9

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

4 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

Sorry I'm a day behind, but I'm thrilled to be testing the Impact No. 2 putter.  This is my 2nd test for MGS, as last year I tested the Honma TR 20 440 driver which is still in the bag (link in signature)

Though I've been a pretty decent player for awhile, putting has been the game within a game that was most likely to derail my round.  About 9 years ago, I got my Odyssey Sabertooth White Ice, which replaced my Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that I had used since high school. I recently changed the grip, and I've been toying with conventional, cross-hand, claw, pencil grips etc, but my putting has been pretty poor this season, mostly with speed controls and trust issues due to way too many 3 putts.

In March, I took the Sabertooth out of the bag, and used an old Sam Sneed Blue Ridge blade putter that my grandma bought for $5 from a garage sale 25 years ago, and I had one of my better putting rounds of the year, posting a 71. 

The next round wasn't so good, so I went back to the Sabertooth and struggled again, and then the last few rounds I got the Old Scotty back from my dad and putted decently well.  My speed control was much better and my 3 putts were down, but I didn't quite feel the same control  on shorter putts.

I was thankful that Scotty held me over for a month til I got my hands on the Tommy Armour.  I picked the No. 2 for a couple of reasons.  

1. It did great in the MGS Most wanted testing, specifically on short to mid range putts

2. I've gone back and forth between a mallet and a blade, and this wide blade kinda fits that sweet spot

Some of the other testers did not get putter covers, but because I got mine late, I think it was shipped from a different branch, and I was fortunate to receive one.  My first impression is that this putter would get easily dinged up without a putter cover due to the materials and paint, so definitely want to keep it under covered up. The head is heavier than I expected, and it is very easy to keep square at impact. Also the face feels softer so I feel like I need to hit it harder than my other putters to get the ball to the hole.  Also I'm TBD on changing the grip. I'm used to a bigger Superstroke grip, but I'm going to use this one for at least a few weeks before I consider a change.

My first round was on a course with very slow greens compared to my usual, so I didn't read too much into it yet. I have a 15 ft Perfect Practice Mat in the office, so I'll be using it daily to get the feel down, and hope to have some good on the course feedback soon. 

About Me: I am 38 years old Texan, married to an Okie,  and have 2 great kids.  I am currently a 0.3, and trying to get back to scratch soon and hope to play in some local tournaments this summer.  I work in industrial sales, mostly instrumentation and filtration products, and I make sure to take breaks to putt, chip, and shoot hoops in the office.  Most of my golf is Saturday mornings, but trying to find a way to get more golf on the clock.  When I'm not at work, playing golf, tweeting, or doing projects around the house, I like to cook on my Blackstone Grill 

Well now i'm hungry.... great intro and will be good to see how the wide works out for you. 

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

1 hour ago, golfingbrock said:

I like your life style and just like Jamie, now I am hungry

• Like 4

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

The way my gamer was putting it shouldn't be too hard to at least get equal.  I will do some head to head tests indoors on the mat, and then on the course will compare my putting stats to my putting stats over the last few months.  Wish I had strokes gained data for the past, but I will be able to tell quite a bit from total putts, # of 3 putts, and proximity of first putt as I focus on speed control.

• Like 4

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

Posted (edited)

I picked the Impact 2 because it seemed like the between mallet and blade. So far, it feels that way. As mine is different, the TA grip may take a tad more adjusting to.  I have club shafts in many colors, I will admit the black fits ok.

Spent a few hours at a practice green, and, I am still adjusting to the feel to the club in terms of distance.  Have left some short but more long.  They seem true in terms of aim; just have not adjusted to the speed feel. Markings at top of club are good. Of the just under 70 taken, I marked 30 as good for a short tap in and 8 as sunk. The remaining saw more 3+ feet long than 2+ feet short.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 2

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

6 hours ago, golfingbrock said:

Not putter related in the least, but I want one of those Blackstone grills so bad. 

Soon....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Not putter related in the least, but I want one of those Blackstone grills so bad. 

Soon....

Sorry, all future posts on this thread will be putter related. But at Dick's, for the same price as new Scotty ($399) you can get a 36" Blackstone with lid. Then you can get a Tommy Armour Impact putter ($149) with all the money you save from not eating out.

• Haha 3

Played a round today and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the condition of the greens makes a bigger difference than what putter I use. 🙄

Angel Park, my local course, has greens that are very “fluffy”. Not sure what type of grass it is but it rolls smooth, the problem is is gets matted down so ridges/high/low spots develop. I missed more than a few putts today because my speed was slow but the ball would catch the ridge that developed around the hole from all the people that walk up to it to pick up their ball. 🤷‍♀️

My putting was sporadic as usual but I did have one 25 footer that I made for birdie. Averaged 2.2 putts per hole. Going back through my playing history, I usually average as good as 1.7 to 1.8 or as bad as 2.4. On the days where I average less, it’s usually because I miss the green and get to chip on.

• Like 4

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48 10F, SM8 52 12F, SM8 56 10S (Slate finish with AMT Black Stiff Flex)

I've spent a few days putting around the office, and decided to grab a video today on the Perfect Practice putting mat.  This thing has great stability and control on the short to mid-range putts on the mat. Looking forward to getting on the course this weekend. 

• Like 5

spent an hour on the putting green putting this through its paces vs my other putters. So far middle of the pack but i will try to test this a couple more times.  I will say this putter was the best of the three on lag putts for me. As well, my distance control was better with the TA and it would allow eaiser second putts. For the distance control it went TAIII > Las Vegas > Corza Ghost.- Lots of confidence with this putter 5 ft and in. 10 ft needs some more practice, but on the course and i am going through my routine it is great.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Played a 9 hole round to see how I might approach more situational putting then simply mat or practice green. I shot alone to spectacular 45 with 24 putts. The three putts were often the aftermath from very poor chips leaving me with 30+ feet to make. Two of the first taps were left well short of the hole.  When I attempted to compensate on  one, I passed the hole by about 7'. after rimming it out.  Hitting on line was less of a problem.  I am getting much better with the over all feel of this club.

Poor taps were often simple operator error.

Still have not fallen in love with the Impact II. I wold call it a very good choice.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

the more I play with this putter, the more I like it and think that it’s working better for me. That is until I look at my stats and see that I still averaged 2.1 putts per hole…

My distance control is getting better with this and my aim is as well. Gotta get more reps in and try to get it more dialed.

• Like 3