Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Club Fitting??

Hi folks,

I wanted to get people's opinions on how you feel about club fitting?  I have never done this yet.  I am about a 10 hdcp player that is looking to purchase a new set of irons and a putter.

I currently hit Callaway XR Steelhead irons and use a Ping putter that is roughly 6-8 years old.  I signed myself up to do a fitting for both.  

Do you believe fitting is the thing to do or not?  And where are the best places to get a fitting?  I live in the west Michigan area.

Thank you all.

John Corbett 

The answer for nearly everyone here is yes it will be a benefit to get fitted. As for where in Michigan I can't help with that, but do you have a club pro who does them? If so do they offer 1 brand or many? I am sure there are many here that can help with more Michigan specific fitters or places to go, but the answer you will receive here is a resounding yes it will be a benefit to get fit and a good youtube channel to check out is TXG and some of their preparation of getting fit videos which can help you get a proper mindset going into it. 
Hope that helps and be sure to ask away with any questions you like along the way! Oh and also Welcome!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Thank you very much for your input.  I will check out Youtube for this.  And yes, this fitter has several brands to choose from.  Grand Rapids area.  I didn't know you could make the posts regionally specific.  

John Corbett 

Let’s turn the question around. What do you want to accomplish with a fitting that you can’t do with an off the rack club purchase?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Smiley1994 said:

Hi folks,

I wanted to get people's opinions on how you feel about club fitting?  I have never done this yet.  I am about a 10 hdcp player that is looking to purchase a new set of irons and a putter.

I currently hit Callaway XR Steelhead irons and use a Ping putter that is roughly 6-8 years old.  I signed myself up to do a fitting for both.  

Do you believe fitting is the thing to do or not?  And where are the best places to get a fitting?  I live in the west Michigan area.

Thank you all.

I got fit for a putter this winter and am averaging 2 less putts per round, including never using the putter on grass prior to my first round gaming it. My 3 putt% has dropped from 18% of holes to 8%. I have been practicing lag putts more often which helps, but the launch monitor data doesn't lie about which putter gets the ball rolling under the best conditions for your stroke. IMO most people should be fit for a driver and putter as the 2 most used clubs. Especially if your priority is best performance. 

I would put an iron fitting behind both of those 2 and possibly behind wedges as well. Unless you need something highly customized like a length change of more than 1" and the lie angle adjusted by 2 degrees or more. Those Callaways are quite forgiving. Provided the shafts aren't 30 grams and 2-3 flexes wrong for you, the gains will likely be harder to notice than a putter or driver. 

It probably took me 1.5 seasons to fully trust new carry yardages and gapping after the fitting with a long Canadian winter in between. Went up 10g in weight and from reg to stiff flex with the Ping G410 from some old Cobra S3. Spin dropped at least 1000 rpm which probably gained close to 10 yards between that and 10 years of technology in the heads. GIR was up initially with the change and then fell back to previous average. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0