TESTERS WANTED! ×

CG2's 2021 Driver Challenge

Golfspy_CG2

Looking forward to following this and glad you are recovering well!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

It's amazing how quickly one can lose stamina and strength and how long it takes to build it back. I haven't worked out in a couple of months because of my hamstring injury (nothing like your bout with covid), and I just made it through my first session in the gym. It was only 35 min but gezzz am I out of shape. 

Looking forward to your shootout results. At my fitting in April, the 425 results were no different than my current 410. Radspeed and TSi2 were at the bottom. SIM2 Max D was equal to the 410. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Random question. Do you have any hope for one to pass the smell test over any other? I know for me I always lean towards something initially but obviously performance is the ultimate decider.

Good luck!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Not the best start for TSi1 for the test, but looking forward to following along and reading your thoughts.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

@Golfspy_CG2 Glad you're on the road to recovery.  Will you be interchanging the shafts in the 2 Titleist drivers, since they have the same adapter on them?  I'm also interested to see how the Srixon ZX5 does for you. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I have two ideas for you:

1. Add the Autoflex in there

2. Use All-Fit adapters so you can switch shafts between heads https://www.allfitgolf.com/

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Rob, so glad you’re well enough to get back out there any rebuild some of that strength. I know we’re all looking forward to your thoughts on these, but more so just really happy to see you back on your feet. 

I’m going to be following along for more of your impressions on the TSi1. My dad has lost a lot of speed and strength and as a result his best drives are in the range you hit on your last round out. But he’s always trying to do it with a bunch of “as seen on TV” clubs. I’d love for him to try something like the TSi1 or other lightweight builds

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Random question. Do you have any hope for one to pass the smell test over any other? I know for me I always lean towards something initially but obviously performance is the ultimate decider.

Good luck!

The smell test for @Golfspy_CG2 is if it has the ‘new driver’ smell. Once it’s gone it is on to the next! 😝

Just now, jlukes said:

The smell test for @Golfspy_CG2 is if it has the ‘new driver’ smell. Once it’s gone it is on to the next! 😝

Well he has 7 brand spanking new smells right there one has to be smellier than the others lol

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1st, glad to see that you are well enough to be out playing again, I’m sure you have missed the hell out of it. 

This should be a very interesting thread to follow, I look forward hearing all of your thoughts.

What determined the drivers you chose for the test?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

4 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Good luck!

Great question.  If you told me you were going to pick the brand of any of those and I had to play it.  I wouldnt have a problem with any of them. 

If I’m being honest, I’d be pulling for either Titleist or the RADSPEED.   Of course many like my fondness for Titleist.  And I’ve never had a Cobra driver that really worked for me.  But I love the approach of the Company and have some of the most likable people in the industry working there. 

1 hour ago, M. Parsons said:

@Golfspy_CG2 Glad you're on the road to recovery.  Will you be interchanging the shafts in the 2 Titleist drivers, since they have the same adapter on them?  I'm also interested to see how the Srixon ZX5 does for you. 

Thanks.  Yes, I actually will be trying both shafts in each head. Along with the stock KK 55g that came with the Tsi2. 

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I have two ideas for you:

1. Add the Autoflex in there

2. Use All-Fit adapters so you can switch shafts between heads https://www.allfitgolf.com/

Don’t really have any interest in Autoflex.  And part of the purpose behind this is to hit the drivers with shafts that are most likely going to be ordered by most people.  Most players in my swing profile aren’t really going to go the aftermarket or custom route.  I have the GD as it is one of the featured shafts for Titleist. 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Well.  I can promise one of them will last after the new smell wears off.  Perhaps even more than one....gasp!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

49 minutes ago, TBT said:

1st, glad to see that you are well enough to be out playing again, I’m sure you have missed the hell out of it. 

This should be a very interesting thread to follow, I look forward hearing all of your thoughts.

What determined the drivers you chose for the test?

Titleist-enough said 😁

Cobra-See above comment 

Srixon-some of the early reviews and the brand makes really solid equipment. 

Ben Hogan-Was offered the driver by the marketing director.  And the looks are phenomenal. 

PING-You can’t not give a PING driver a shot 

Mizuno-Seeing it in hand from our rep in November and hearing the improvements from the first generation ST line to this model.  And Price 

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great question.  If you told me you were going to pick the brand of any of those and I had to play it.  I wouldnt have a problem with any of them. 

If I’m being honest, I’d be pulling for either Titleist or the RADSPEED.   Of course many like my fondness for Titleist.  And I’ve never had a Cobra driver that really worked for me.  But I love the approach of the Company and have some of the most likable people in the industry working there. 

Thanks.  Yes, I actually will be trying both shafts in each head. Along with the stock KK 55g that came with the Tsi2. 

Don’t really have any interest in Autoflex.  And part of the purpose behind this is to hit the drivers with shafts that are most likely going to be ordered by most people.  Most players in my swing profile aren’t really going to go the aftermarket or custom route.  I have the GD as it is one of the featured shafts for Titleist. 

Well.  I can promise one of them will last after the new smell wears off.  Perhaps even more than one....gasp!!

I've always been a Titleist Driver player until CC4 competition. I found the SpeedZone driver dramatically straightened my drives even though I struggled to find the center of the face. Still playing the Cobra driver.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As most of you know, in December I mentioned I was going to have a 2021 driver shootout with some of the major models of 2021 being involved.  It wouldn't be anything like Most Wanted Testing, but just my thoughts on the drivers I was trying out for the year.

And again as most know, I got a very bad case of COVID and ended up in the hospital.  Over the past several months I've continued my recovery and just in the past couple weeks have been getting out to practice and play.  As a result of a lot of lost strength and weight, I'm not sure how helpful my info will be, but I'll go ahead and share my experiences with each as I go along.  Some posts will be from just on the range and some will be from full rounds and some will be impromptu 3 to 5 hole practice loops 

Kind of a running diary on each if you will.  If I build up a bit more strength and get back some more CHS I'll get on Trackman and provide some numbers.

But as a general starting point, right now my swing speed is down to 82/83 mph according to trackman last week for a few swings.  

Drivers that are in the challenge, in no particular order.

Ben Hogan GS53 Max EvenFlow RipTide 5.5 50g

Cobra RADSPEED XB-Ventus 6 R shaft

Mizuno STZ UST Helium 59g Stiff

Srixon ZX5 EvenFlow Riptide 5.5 50g

PING G425 Max Alta CB Slate 55g R

Titleist TSi2 GD IZ4 R1

Titleist TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40g

I'll use in round stats from either Arccos/ShotScope or SC500 devices and note it each time. And I'll add in good ole eyeballing stats as well 🙂

Feel free to ask any questions or mention anything you'd like to know about these, from an older slow swinging 17 HC...WRX'ers will not find this thread helpful 🙂

YES!!!! He’s BACK!!! Heeeeeeere we gooooooooo!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

33 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I've always been a Titleist Driver player until CC4 competition. I found the SpeedZone driver dramatically straightened my drives even though I struggled to find the center of the face. Still playing the Cobra driver.

One I still have but it’s not a 2021 model so I didn’t include it is the Pars & Stripes SZ Extreme.  In my play last year it might have been the most forgiving driver.  Right up there with the TS1. 

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

YES!!!! He’s BACK!!! Heeeeeeere we gooooooooo!

Ha. Back and slower than ever!! But hey I am out there and able to play, so no complaints here! 

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ha. Back and slower than ever!! But hey I am out there and able to play, so no complaints here! 

So awesome!!! Very happy for you as it’s been a tough road. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

22 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

One I still have but it’s not a 2021 model so I didn’t include it is the Pars & Stripes SZ Extreme.  In my play last year it might have been the most forgiving driver.  Right up there with the TS1. 

I know you sell your old clubs...you ready to sell that  Pars & Stripes SZ Extreme?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

1 minute ago, daviddvm said:

I know you sell your old clubs...you ready to sell that  Pars & Stripes SZ Extreme?

I could be talked into it 😁.  I’ll send you a PM. 

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I could be talked into it 😁.  I’ll send you a PM. 

As they say everything is for sale....at the right price 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

@Golfspy_CG2

This should be a fun thread to follow, but just want to say it's good to have you around here again. And even better to have you out playing!

I really need to get out and hit the TSi series. Someone at my range had one but he hadn't even hit it yet! I wanted to live vicariously through him, especially since he was an equipment guy who recognized the AutoFlex in my bag.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

9 hours ago, daviddvm said:

How much for the headcover!? hahaha

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, edingc said:

@Golfspy_CG2

This should be a fun thread to follow, but just want to say it's good to have you around here again. And even better to have you out playing!

I really need to get out and hit the TSi series. Someone at my range had one but he hadn't even hit it yet! I wanted to live vicariously through him, especially since he was an equipment guy who recognized the AutoFlex in my bag.

I still can't get over the sound the TSi3 had when Mark was hitting it.  I need to go try it myself in an appropriate loft.

1 hour ago, edingc said:

@Golfspy_CG2

Just now, B.Boston said:

I still can't get over the sound the TSi3 had when Mark was hitting it.  I need to go try it myself in an appropriate loft.

It (The entire TSi line) is honestly the best sounding driver I've heard in years.   

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Wait,  isn’t that longer than pre-COVID? 🤣    Seriously, glad to hear you are getting back on the course and achieving some level of normal life.   Hoping for a continued recovery and getting yourself back to better than you were before! 

Didn't know whether to laugh or thank this post.  Both would have been appropriate.   It isn't quite up to the pre corvid distance, but honestly not too far behind, maybe 15 to 20 yards.   So there's hope for improvement.