TESTERS WANTED! ×

CG2's 2021 Driver Challenge

Golfspy_CG2

Here’s the screen shot from my best drive with the G425. 

FYI the 132 yard 6 iron was an intentional layup.  I was still 214 out and  not going to get there with the 3.  So was playing for a good GW distance.  Which I got just took a unlucky bounce off a slight slope and ends up on the bsck fringe.  Almost chipped in for par.  The hole is 580 yards from the whites.   It’s a beast! 

BA09B842-28A9-48D8-9C97-AC19E19011AB.png

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

SIM2 Max  and  PING G25 SFT July 1 and 2 

Edittors Note: Long PreAmble----TLDR  G425 surprisinglly good---you'll have to read to find out how...HA

ok, it was a bit of a departure from norn this week, as play this week shifted to our North course which is my favorite of the two.   We had been on the South course the past 3 weeks, it's a tougher course with not as many good driving holes.   So needing to get as many points as I can to secure  a higher spot in our season long points race for the playoffs...I'm curretnly 22nd, and top 32 spots make it, I wanted to go wth the known entity in the driver that has been doing well the SIM2 Max.  But in typical Phil fashhion, I threw the G425 in the bag as well.  Full disclosure when I grabbed it from our Demo Cart, I completelyy failed to notice it was the SFT versionn until I was on the rnge with it.  And sure enough I hit a few snappers before the round.  I adjusted my setuup a bit and was able to get back to hitting myy normal fade.   

Our first hole is a par 5 that isn't the widest fiarway in the world, but there's not a huge penalty for missing a bit to the right, left is wet, so that wasn't going to be an otpion withh the first swing of the SFT under pressure.   I pulled the SIM2.  One of the other guys in our group, asked if it was the SIM2 and how I liked it.   I said, I'll let you know after this shot 🙂

Sure enough right on cue I pushed it way way right and into the trees, i guess I was trying to over compensate for those left quackers on the range with the SFT.  I turned to Phil and said, "Right now  I dont like it" and we all got a good laugh.

Next hole was a fairly benign par 4 and I  figured I've got to hit the PING sooner or later, so why not now.   Pefect, nice highh fade right down the middle.  left me 110 yards in,,,,,(Driver interuption for a par description) Nice 9 iron a bit too left ofhte flag for left to right 30 foooter, rooled the putt two feet past and easily made the putt for par---I like THIS driver  🙂

Ok, so our next hole was actualy Number 1 (we had started on 17)  I decided I needed to come up wit a plan for these two drivers.  The front 9 is the more open of the two and you can get away with more errant shots.  so  decided to go with the SIM2 there, and test the G425's high MOI and forgivensss on the tigher tree lined fairways of the back 9.   

So  now is a good time to tell you my swing that was like a rusty water bucket a couple weks ago, well that bucket had more holes this week.  Litteraly everything was a par or triple bogey.   I'm  not kidding, my front 9 card looked like this

8,4,7,4,4,3,7,6,7---I tihink that equals 50...YIKES  First time I've been in the 50's since my first round of the year back in early May.  I don't know  how to explain it.  I lost two  balls on the approach to the par 5 1st, One more ball off the tee on the 7th and 9th.  My fairway wood and short irons really let me down--for more of that find the One Lenth thread and I'll  post the thoughts there.

Anyway, the SIM wasn't as solid as it had been, but you have to consider the archer that was shooting the arrorw.  So on to the ratings.

Stats:  8/10

3/8 (includig hole  17 our starting hole) Those 3 fairways were al lin a rwo as well, I thoght I had found a grove with it, then I just went south.  Nothing really great distance wise either.  It was just a very disappoting day driver wise, as well as everything else. 

Comfort: 8/10

I still feel very comfortabale with this driver.  Despite the erratic performance off the tee, I wasn't shaking or trembling wondering where it was going to go.  I know if Iput a decent swing on it, the results are going to be very good, so I was just trying to focus on finding my swing and I didn't  Of course post round I realize in most cases I wasn't completing my backswing, or transitoning too quickly.  Why can't we realize these things on the 2nd hole and fix them 🙂

Sound: 9/10

I'll still give this a 9, as even the several mishits I had with it sounded OK.  Some drivers when you mis the sweet spot let you and everyone in the surrounding zipcode know about it. 

Overall:  8.3 of 10

PING G425- Back Nine

Hole 10 starts with a short but tiight driving hole, only about 270, but fairway bunkers and trees down the left, and more trees just off the path to the right.   I stepeed up confident that I  was going to salvage the round with a very good back 9.   It started that way with a high shot right down the left edge of the fairway flirting with the bukers, but flew right over those suckers and faded back to the center of the fairway.  I just missed a downhill  runway that would have gotten me anohter 20 yards likely, but stopped just on the top of the fairway.  SX500 measoured it at 215....leaving me 84 yards in.   Giddy up.   Promptly chunked a GW 20 yards short of the green, chipped to about 10 feet and  made the par putt.....OH wait this isn't the How did you play thhread....ha sorry.   Ok great start for the PINGer

Hole 11 they moved the tees, used to be a dead straight 320 yard par 4 with water right.   They moved the tees back about 40 yards and you have to cut off the close end of the water to get the best approach.  I smoked the drive, unfortunately I couldn't get a good line off the tee and was too far left, one bounce int the trees.  But at the point where it bounced into the trees SX500 had it at 203.   Another triple,so much for that salvaging the back 9 😞

Ok so on to the scoring. 

Stats:  9/10

Hit 5/6 fairways.  The niss above was the only one.   Remember I hit the SIM on 17 at the beginning of the round, so the G425 only had 6 chacnes and nailed 5 of them solid as could be.    I definitely figured out the flight of it.  Didn't have a snap hook in the bunch, and the rest were all fades, there was one draw that snuck in there but it was fine.   Certainly not planned, but I  took  it anyway...ha  Most of the drives were over 200 in the 203 to 205 range.  Tha's actually more in 9 holes than the SIM2 has in 18 sometimmes. 

Comfort 8/10

The only thing that keeps this from being a 9 or maybe even a 10 is the SFT factor and worrying that any moement a little hitch in my swing could result in a deadly snap  hook.  I've become pretty comfortable in setting up for my normal fade and trusting it.  And the SFT does exactly what it's suppsoed to, it takes just a bit of that fade.  it won't eliminate a slice, no club will, but it helps straighten the fades the slightest bit, to get you a few more yards or roll straight instead of to theright.  I think that's a key factor a lot of people tend to overlook.

Sound 7.5/10

It's a PING and we all know the knock on PING drivers is the sound.  I had read a lot about that in other reviews and experienes with the G425 as well.   To be honest, yes it's louder than the SIM2 and certainly the TSi, but not obnoxisouly loud, and by the 5th or so  drive with it, I wasn't really aware of it. 

So it's not a deal breaker by any means

Overall 8.2  of 10

July 2 Bonus 9 with the G425

I felt bad not giving the G425 18 holes to be judged like all the others.  So I decided to take it out for an "emergency 9" today.  Oh who am I kidding, it was a beautiful 77 degrees and huge drop in humidity for the first time this week, so I ended a bit early and got out.

And boy am I glad I did.   I went out on our North 9, the same 9 I hit the SIM2 on yesterday.  Now I really should have palyed the same tees as yesterday (the gold) but I didn't.  One reason , I was playing wiht 2 guys in their mid 30's who were playing the Blues about 6600 yards, our Whites are 6200 and Golds about 5800.   I didnt' want to play 2 tee boxes up from them. As Iwas worried that would kind of mess up their flow, having to drive 40 yards stop wait and then get going again.  A lot ofour whtie boxes you can walk to from the blues or park just far enough inf front of the blues, I can stip up onto them as they are walking off the blues.

Also the wind was a different direction than yesterday, so it wouldn't have been an accurate comparison.   I just decided to use the SX500 on each tee shot to judge it versus saying where it was compared to yesterdays' round.

Stats 9/10

Hit 5 of 7 fairways.  That's 71% for those keping track at home.  Guess what the two misses, were left.  onlyy one was a low snap hook, although it will got out to about 170 yards even at that.  The other was a very nice big high hook, that if I had been playing down the right edge of the fairway would have been dead center, but playing for my draw, it drew into the trees, for my only lsot ball of the round.   

Now the  giddyy up part.  Of the 5 fairways hit, all but one was over 200 yards, I tried my first round with Arccos as well as the SX500.  I think I can grab a sccreen shot or two, that I'll add in here later.   But the best drive of the day was a nice high straight maybe a hint of a draw shot right down the middle and measured 221 I think on the SX500.  The fairways today were very soft as we got a huge downpour last night.  So that was pretty close to all carry.   The only one less than 200 was into a pretty strong wind that also  was definitly off the toe, when I got to it, it was 184 yards.   That is a pretty good "miss" for me.  That brings into the 5900 MOI I think this  driver has.   I'd have to go back and look at some specs.

So  some parting thoughts on this driver.  I'll be honest, it went this late in the testing as I wasn't thrilled to try it out.  Usually I LOVE PING drivers, but I have read and heard a lot of mixed reviews on it.  Mostly talkng about lack of distance.   The odd thng is I was hitting the SFT model, and PING itself has said the SFT isn't as fast as the G425 MAX.   So I think  somehow, somewhay I'll need fo find a G425 Max into the bag. 

But it was pleasing to look at address.  Sure I know some hate the turbulators.  But there's something abouut the crown of every driver that somone is going to complain about.   There are even some tht complain about the tiny TSI logo onthe Titleist dirvers, I just don't get tha. 

There are only two drivers I haven't hit yet, and I think I'm going to do something different for them, as they  are not mainstream drivers.  The Ben Hogan GS53 MAX and the Tour Edge 220 ES (I think)   I'm thinking of putting them in a direct head to head test in a seperte thread maybe called "Budget" drivers or something like that.  The TE definntiely fits in that category and the Hogan is not far off at I think $349 or so.   Anyway that's for a different day.

This challenge isn'tover.  I stil lintended to try and get some LM numbers on al lthem in the same day.  So still more to come.  But right now, it's safe to say the RADSPEED, TSii 1 and 2, SM2 and G425 are all very good drivers, and honestly someone at my swing speed isn't going to notice a huge difference, but the PING numbers today may dispute that.

Oh and one interestng and fun fact.  On the same North course from the White Tees today I shot 44,  where   shot 50 yesterday.  So much for shorter being easier....ha   

Sorry for the exceptionally long post.  I hope at least some of  you found it helpful. 

I think you’ll like the max, just guessin’

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I am curious - do you hit 3 wood longer than you’d hit 5 wood?

Thanks for the write up, great stuff 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 hours ago, revkev said:

I am curious - do you hit 3 wood longer than you’d hit 5 wood?

Thanks for the write up, great stuff 

I’ll have to get back to you on that. I just got a D9 3 and 5 wood on in this week.  Still in the box 😕

Guess I need to make a post in the WDYB Thread.  Ha

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I’ll have to get back to you on that. I just got a D9 3 and 5 wood on in this week.  Still in the box 😕

Guess I need to make a post in the WDYB Thread.  Ha

“WITOYTBO”

what’s in the office yet to be opened. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

“WITOYTBO”

what’s in the office yet to be opened. 

There’s not a truer statement 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

July 8 Srixon ZX5

So the Srixon had the misfortune of going out early in this challenge and on a day I was still definitely getting my feet under me.  Not that I am 100% yet, but I am in much better shape than I was two months ago when this one got a test.

I'd love to see the driver was in much better shape as well, but it just didn't stack up in most regards today.   And I actually played pretty well overall.   One thing that was off for the first 9 to 12 holes, was my wedge game.  i took the brand new SM8's out this morning with no range time at all.   And while the lofts are the same as I had in my SM7's I do have the D grind in the 54 and 58 and I think the uncertainty on how to play those definitely cost me a few shots early on.  But I digress!

Stats: 4/10

Hit 4 of 11 fairways, 3 holes late in the round I hit 3 wood, for two reasons, one they were pretty short and 2 and I was losing confidence in hitting fairways with this.  And the low fairways hit didnt' come with a huge boost in distance.   Matter of fact, it was just so so in that regard.  Longest drive of the day 213 yards, which is pretty decent for me these days, but I think it was aided by landing on a downslope over  bunker.   Bonus points for it carrying that bunker 🙂   But honestly when that ball left the club, I expected to find it out there at least 220 or so.     So nothing to write home about distance or accuracy wise.

Another thing that I'll note in the category was the ball flight.  It was plenty high enough for me, but I was hitting too much of a fade.  No part of this may be on me.  I had moved it down to 9.5 from the standard head of 10.5 a few weeks ago, to try and lower the spin as I was hitting it plenty high enough and felt I had a bit too much spin.   In doing so I know that opens the face a bit, so that may have accounted for the bigger fades than normal.    But I know this definitely cost me yardage, and strokes.  Lost two tee balls too far right that resulted in lateral hazard drops.   

Just not a good production day from it at all. 

Comfort  5/10

I must say as the day went on, the comfort level was getting worse.  I should say on the toughest driving hole of the day, it did come through with flying colors.   The par 5 below is about 180 yards to carry that fairway bunker on the left edge.  I hit a really high fade directly over it and into the fairway before it ends. You have to either carry that bunker or hug the right edge to have a better than decent shot to carry the ravine.  About 160 yards to clear.  I know for most of you that's an easy 6 or 7 iron.   But remember who the subject here is 🙂

Anyway, so that hole it was all aces, but it and the previously mentioned drive were the only two highlights of the day.  I felt much more comfortable with the ZX 3 wood I hit off the other 3 tees, and the results were all very good.  And only 10 yards or so less than the average of the other drives.

Sound 7/10

Nothing really changes here from my previous comments.   Not horribly loud and but not as great sounding as the TSi or SIM2

Overall 5.3

Definitely not a top performer after two rounds, I haven't heard a ton about this driver since it's early release.  I know part of it is, that Srixon is an under the radar company.  But despite some TV and Print ads, there doesn't seem to be quite the buzz around it. 

I think for a player like me Srixon is missing the boat with no moveable weight here or no weight moved toward the heel, to help promote a straighter flight.   You have the ZX7 which can take care of the better/stronger player.  It seems you would want to maybe shade a bit more toward the player who needs a little right to left help here.    I know there are drivers in the Cleveland family that do that, but it would just seem logical to me to have one of the ZX drivers lean that way.

I think that's where a driver like the G425, SIM2 D the RADSPeed XD and even the Callaway Epic Speed all have an advantage over it. 

I played 2 rounds this summer using TM Sim rental sets, the driver worked really well for me.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 6/16/2021 at 7:59 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

A quick range session late this afternoon got my attention and earned it a spot in the tryouts! 

Meh... when the short lived romance is over shoot me a PM and I'll send you my shipping address.  You won't want this one cluttering up the inventory. Besides, I have a first hand account that these only work with Accra shafts, Gulf Oil colored shirts and socks, and a compact, powerful swing 🙂.  

PXL_20210610_191300011.jpg.ebcb0e0978895d8a7a56829497a32547.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I just want to go to one of Rob’s garage sales….bins of clubs everywhere with 2 rounds on them 🤩

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

1 hour ago, TBT said:

I just want to go to one of Rob’s garage sales….bins of clubs everywhere with 2 rounds on them 🤩

You and all the Right Hand golfing community 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

14 hours ago, TBT said:

Perhaps I should have an Facebook Live auction one day soon 🙂

40 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great idea!  International Event👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Alright, lemme go start selling a bunch of stuff so I can have a bankroll ready!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7/15 Today's Driver the TSi1

Went back for another round with this one as, well I honestly feel it's going to be between the SIM2, PING G425 and TSi1, and the other two both have had at least 2 or 3 rounds.   So I wanted to give this one another go. 

Today was a hot one temps in the 90's and head index of 98, which was actually about 7 index points lower than the past few days, but it was muggy sticky hot.   So a good day to have a lightweight driver, me thinks..ha

STATS 8/10

9 of 13 fairways.   Three of the ones I missed-One was just a very lazy pull hook, two others I drove it through a dog leg, so not really the clubs fault..ha   

Distance wise longest of the day was 225 yards on the tightest and longest par 4 we play, which was good, it left me with  145 ish up hill in to the green. I was routinely over 200 until the last few holes as I mentioned in the How Did you Play thread, I started feeling the heat.  But those were all in the 190's. 

Side note, I began The Stack Speed training earlier this week, and my baseline driver speed is 81, so that shows you were the lack of distance is.   I'm really hoping for some significant gains from it in the next 8 weeks, I would be happy with getting back to the 88 to 90 range.  Anything above that would be beyond a miracle! 

Comfort 9/10

Not much to say here, other than it really sets up well for me at address.  I like the small alignment mark on the crown, I can't believe everyone that went ApeCrap upset over it last year when it was released.    The lightweight Adila Ascent shaft feels fine to me.  Will I need something else when I complete the speed training, perhaps and if so, I have a GD IZ standing by that's in my TSi2.  

Sound 10/10

I've said it  before and will say it again, nothing else I can add.  It's the best sounding driver on the market--bar none.  The SIM2 is good, the Callaways are ok, PING is not as bad as most say.   But this is on another level 

Overall 9/10

The TS1 I had previously was the best driver I have had in years.   This one was going to have to go some to equal or beat it.  It really has, mainly from a consistency standpoint.   it just goes straight, and gets a nice high flight.  It's not really any longer than the best or average drives with the SIM2 or G425, but the confidence of it in my hands onthe tee, knowing if I put a halfway decent swing onit, it's going to go where I'm aiming it.    

That's a hard quality to top. 

I'll be wrapping this challenge up soon, with getting al the participants to place with a LM where I can use real golf balls, and give some final numbers.