Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why do RAW wedges cost more???

Cleveland is charging $149.99 for a standard chrome Ripcore wedge while the RAW version costs $169.99.

Vokey only offers their RAW wedges through their WedgeWorks program.  Which costs $199 vs a $159 for the tour chrome finish.

Callaway do charge the same for their MD5 wedges at $159.99

Why are companies charging more for the RAW?

I remember back in the 90s, I was able to get a Cleveland 588 RTG for the same price as the other finishes.  I don't know anything about golf club manufacturing finances, but you would assume the RAW versions would actually cost less to manufacture with less material and labor costs.

Is the price simply a reflection of demand from suckers like me who "might" be willing to pay a premium for the RAW version?  If that's the case, I no longer want to be a sucker and just go for the standard finishes since there hasn't been any "hard" evidence of improved spin or feel benefits with RAW.

Love to hear the justification from people with industry knowledge.   Thanks!

It’s pretty much based on the market and how much stock a company wants to keep of a product that isn’t going to account for a large portion of sales.

Basically a limited offering for the small segment of the golfing public thats into that type of product. Also they are going to show the rust much sooner sitting on a shelf in a store with any kind of moisture, which makes it harder for them to sell it to the weekend golfer or non equipment junkie.

I don’t remember where I saw it but Tom Oslavsky from Cobra did an interview and said that the raw wedge will spin more over the life of the wedge than a non raw version. On the downside iirc Bob Vokey said that they tend to wear out quicker which is a reason pros who use them swap out more frequently 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t remember where I saw it but Tom Oslavsky from Cobra did an interview and said that the raw wedge will spin more over the life of the wedge than a non raw version. 

Didn't MGS prove this to be false or am I misremembering this?

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

18 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Don’t know. Not something I’ve really paid attention too and outside of the looks raw wedges haven’t been something on my ponder list. I do have some MG2 wedges that have the raw face but I never put them on a monitor to compare.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

25 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Rust itself does not increase the spin. However, it is thought that the lack of plating on the groove edges may produce more spin.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG