Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping G400 Alta CB Shaft?

Anybody have the specs on this shaft in Regular flex? Is it a soft tip shaft? High launch? I have it in my Ping G400 Max and I'm prone to some horrific hooks. I also hit some great shots , usually draws although I have the face open and the lie flat. I know, I know, user error but when I switch to another driver with an open face I hit zero hooks and no draws, just straight  or slight fades. Ordered another tip stiff shaft but of course it came with the wrong Ping tip so I had to send it back.

It’s a counterbalance shaft designed for higher launch. It’s a long proprietary design that is made by Aldila, I don’t recall seeing any EI profiles on it so not sure how stiff the tip is. 

It’s possible either the flex is soft for your swing or possibly the CB design doesn’t fit your swing.

Do you have any launch monitor numbers? Do you have a smooth or aggressive swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

42 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s a counterbalance shaft designed for higher launch. It’s a long proprietary design that is made by Aldila, I don’t recall seeing any EI profiles on it so not sure how stiff the tip is. 

It’s possible either the flex is soft for your swing or possibly the CB design doesn’t fit your swing.

Do you have any launch monitor numbers? Do you have a smooth or aggressive swing.

No, no launch monitor numbers. I'm probably more aggressive than smooth but only about 90 mph, so certainly not a beast.  Any idea what the counter balance is supposed to achieve? Maybe that's the problem.

Edited by garyt1957

11 minutes ago, garyt1957 said:

No, no launch monitor numbers. I'm probably more aggressive than smooth but only about 90 mph, so certainly not a beast.  Any idea what the counter balance is supposed to achieve? Maybe that's the problem.

Counterbalanced shafts were designed to help keep swingweights relatively reasonable as wood designs went to longer playing lengths. It also allows some weight to be added to the club.

They are typically better fit for people with smooth swings regardless of swing speed. Some designs like the hzrdus yellow and the Aldila rogue shafts tend to be good counterbalance options for the aggressive swingers. 

If you have more of an aggressive swing the flex and/or weight of the Alta cb isn’t a good fit for you.  What was the tip stiff shaft you ordered?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 5/28/2021 at 9:59 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Counterbalanced shafts were designed to help keep swingweights relatively reasonable as wood designs went to longer playing lengths. It also allows some weight to be added to the club.

They are typically better fit for people with smooth swings regardless of swing speed. Some designs like the hzrdus yellow and the Aldila rogue shafts tend to be good counterbalance options for the aggressive swingers. 

If you have more of an aggressive swing the flex and/or weight of the Alta cb isn’t a good fit for you.  What was the tip stiff shaft you ordered?

Originally got a UST Elements Earth shaft but had to send it back because it had the wrong Ping tip on it so I have a Ping Tour on the way.

2 hours ago, garyt1957 said:

Originally got a UST Elements Earth shaft but had to send it back because it had the wrong Ping tip on it so I have a Ping Tour on the way.

Ok. The long tour is a good shaft and also counterbalanced but with a different design than the Alta. The ping tour is also a UST shaft. It’s based off the elements chrome +