Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

KBS C-taper lite shafts

Hey guys wanted to hear some opinions on the KBS C-taper lite. I recently had a iron fitting with a local golf fitter. He is very respected in small circles that know he takes his work seriously. Used the Mizuno shaft optimizer with a few interesting results but out of the results the c-taper lite stood out with the few shots I got to hit with it. It never seems like a fitting is long enough to get all the answers. I know KBS puts out a good product. So I was really curious to see how others that have used these shafts felt about performance for themselves. Any insight or things learned with hindsight would help. I appreciate everyone helping me make an informed decision. I've been a Modus user in the past so if anyone has opinions on the feel in comparison to that might be helpful. Thanks for your help. 

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 project x LZ 60 6.0 handcrafted shaft

CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Callaway Big Bertha 19' irons 4-AW

Titleist SM7 Jet black with TT onyx black s400 shaft 50°

Callaway MD4 black 54° sand wedge

Callaway PM19 60° tour grey

Odyssey Toulon San Diego putter

1592935174442966599406225697326.jpg

Hey! Which flex? I was a 5 year+ user of C-Taper Lite stiff shafts in 714 AP2 irons. I moved to PX LZ 6.5s last year during cobra connect and swapped to Modus 120x over the winter, which is what I was originally fit for in the Cobra irons, but it was unavailable due to Covid. 

I loved the feel of them and had great results.  I think the modus 120x feels smoother. I should note that I’ve also picked up swingspeed and for better into a heavier weight than I did back in my c-taper lite days. 

they were very consistent or me. If they ended up being recommended at a fitting I’d have no issues playing them again. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I am going to pick up my new Irons next week that also have the KBS $taper lite shafts. I was fitted at Club Champion in Des Moines Iowa. I am getting the Wilson Staff D9 P-5 irons. They fit me the best that I tried. I hope that helps

Back in golf after a 25 year delay. Go Dawgs!!

They are good shafts. Stable with a good feel. Going down the “rabbit hole” of getting peoples opinions on shafts and their experience when they more than likely have a different swing than yours will lead to doubting the fitting and confidence. 

You had a fitting with a respected fitter and the shaft came as part of a recommendation from the technology used in your fitting. If they worked in the fitting and you didn’t notice anything off with them in the few shots you hit the chances they will be fine on the course is pretty high

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Its my first time being fit for clubs. I never heard about it until January and they had a half off for a full club fitting so I decided to give it a go. I got my Tour Edge Exotics driver, 3 wood and 4 hybrid three weeks ago with my Cleveland CBX2 wedges and I am doing well with them. I can't wait to get my irons and start getting used to them. So far I am very happy.

Back in golf after a 25 year delay. Go Dawgs!!

asking for opinions on shafts is like asking for opinions on running shoes. every foot is different (some people have different right feet than left feet 🙋‍♂️) but... that being said, it was one of the options on my fitting and I swapped a set of KBS Tour 120 stiff for the CTaper Lite stiff and have been playing them for a while now and really like them.

Besides the fact that the matte gray finish is cool AF, they're really great for me.
Before that I had project x LZ, which were also an option and I liked them too but the heads weren't quite right.

If that was one of the options on the Mizuno optimizer or from a fitting I don't think you could go wrong. They're a really great and proven shaft.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

2 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

asking for opinions on shafts is like asking for opinions on running shoes. every foot is different (some people have different right feet than left feet 🙋‍♂️) but... that being said, it was one of the options on my fitting and I swapped a set of KBS Tour 120 stiff for the CTaper Lite stiff and have been playing them for a while now and really like them.

Besides the fact that the matte gray finish is cool AF, they're really great for me.
Before that I had project x LZ, which were also an option and I liked them too but the heads weren't quite right.

If that was one of the options on the Mizuno optimizer or from a fitting I don't think you could go wrong. They're a really great and proven shaft.

Yeah I understand what I'm getting when asking opinions on shafts. Just curious how people that have used them felt about them. I'm actually using the Project X LZs myself currently. The C-taper lite are also not super common stock offering so I assumed you would have people like myself making the choice to get shafts aftermarket to get the most out of their irons. Just asking around before I pull the trigger on this. It's a little difficult right now to find a full set of c-taper lite shafts in the matte black finish. I'm also not sure if I want them in my wedges and well or not. Thanks for the reply.

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Oh another reason to question all this is that the first suggestion I was given by the optimizer was for the Project X IO. Which did not translate to better shafts for me. They actually performed terribly. 

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

1 hour ago, Mark0709 said:

Yeah I understand what I'm getting when asking opinions on shafts. Just curious how people that have used them felt about them. I'm actually using the Project X LZs myself currently. The C-taper lite are also not super common stock offering so I assumed you would have people like myself making the choice to get shafts aftermarket to get the most out of their irons. Just asking around before I pull the trigger on this. It's a little difficult right now to find a full set of c-taper lite shafts in the matte black finish. I'm also not sure if I want them in my wedges and well or not. Thanks for the reply.

Aftermarket vs stock has gotten more cloudy over the years especially in the woods/hybrids but not so much in the irons.

Also some brands offer shafts as stock while others offer them as upcharge/aftermarket. For example the recoil 95 shafts are stock in Mizuno but an upcharge in titleist. Doesn’t change how they perform as a shaft just what the company decides to offer and how.

As for your wedges the general recommendation is to match up to whatever club you take full swings with and to go heavier in the rest of the wedges. 

1 hour ago, Mark0709 said:

Oh another reason to question all this is that the first suggestion I was given by the optimizer was for the Project X IO. Which did not translate to better shafts for me. They actually performed terribly. 

So this here should help indicate that based on recommendations from the tool as well as the fitter that going with the c taper lite is your better option. The tool gives recommendations based on data gathered. That is used to help narrow down the choices then swinging the shaft with the clubhead of choice to find what works best.

Only reason to not pull the trigger is you aren’t ready to buy. If thinking about going a different direction from your fitting then it’s just going to be a random guess if something works or not

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I've played them for several years and really like them. They work for me. They did NOT come up as a top choice with the optimizer. Mine are always stiff so I cant really speak to the regular version. 

I did not find them to be high launch but more mid launch and produce good spin for me. 

I enjoy them in my Cobra irons. I was fit into them two years ago and have had no reason to go away from them in my current set up.

If you trust the fitter, go for it

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I used to play Project X 6.0 but moved into C-taper light X flex. I felt like i could not feel the head on my MP-18s MB in the standard C-taper. The light made me feel the head easier.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good feedback guys. The shaft optimizer can be a little confusing. But in the long run out produced a result I feel gave me the best shaft for my swing. 

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H