Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Are Your Favorite PGA Tournaments - Other Than Majors?

Leaving Majors, and any debate on them, aside - what are your favorite other tournaments, name 5 or so? Mine in no particular order:

• The Memorial
  • The Players Championship
  • Wells Fargo
  • anything at Torrey Pines, Pebble Beach, Spyglass (without amateurs)
  • Northern Trust > BMW > Tour Championship

The only ones I don't enjoy are anything match play and the WMO.

No right or wrong answers!

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I have no particular favorites as I don't think I could name 5 tournaments outside the majors.    My least favorites would be any tournament with celebrities/non pro golfers participating in the weekly event. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I like the Genesis because of Riv and the players they get. Lukewarm on Bay Hill but it’s still more enjoyable than the rest of the overly corporate events that I’m mostly meh on. The match play and team events are cool but I always have a hard time caring about them more than watching results. 

I do, however, really enjoy the playoffs. I think they’re great watching guys try to earn their way into more events with bigger prizes and seeing the lower tier guys fight for following-year exemptions. Lots of good story lines that time of year. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Like @cnosili couldn’t name many outside the big ones.

this year is actually one of the only years I’ve really watched weekly (fantasy). I’ve always enjoyed watching just never actually  sat down to watch besides the big dogs.

I have a soft spot for what was the EMC/Dell championship since it is played at TPC Boston and have been going the past few years, every other now

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I don't usually make a effort to watch much outside of the Majors and although I can name several tournaments it is mainly all fantasy related as to what I take the extra effort to watch. Riv is one I have watched and enjoyed in the past. Personally I just like seeing new and different courses. That is what attracts me to most events and what I look forward to watching vs following certain players or events. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Usually dependent on the field, time of year, and the golf course.  I'm watching more golf leading up to the Masters and really catch the bug around the Waste Mgt for the upcoming year. 

• Memorial
  • Waste Management
  • Bay Hill

Probably a couple others I cannot think of, but those are the main ones that spring to mind.  I do like to watch Riveria and Pebble Beach tourney's too.  Oh and also since the one at Harbour Town since we get down to Hilton Head from time to time and know the area/course.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I have two.

The Safeway is one that I love because it's Napa and I have family that lives up there on the course (Silverado).  

The other one is the Genesis.  For me, it's the "alright, we're about ready to get this season going." 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

No doubt about it BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the stadium party on the sixteenth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for waste management golf tournamentImage result for waste management golf tournamentimage.jpeg.8aeb58ee40925a410157106c5255d162.jpegimage.jpeg.2f4402c691a72f68464e009de031c34c.jpeg

The loudest hole in golf and the greatest tourney on turf🏌️‍♂️

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

It's about the courses for me.

• Riviera.  Wish it were still the LA Open.  Great move by the LPGA to grab that name.
  • Harbour Town.  Love watching the pros play that golf course.
  • Houston Open at Memorial Park was pretty cool.
  • Waialae.  Love getting to see a Raynor design on tv.
  • Looking forward to Congaree

I miss the PGA tour event at Kingsmill but love the LPGA event there.  Hope to see it live again next year!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I like the John Deer tournament for seeing all the various John Deer tractors, mowers. All the ones I can't have but wish I had 😀.  Very much like St. Jude tournament for what it represents and supports.  The Memorial well its Jack's tournament and condition is immaculate and beautiful much like Augusta. 

On 5/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Middler said:

Leaving Majors, and any debate on them, aside - what are your favorite other tournaments, name 5 or so? Mine in no particular order:

• The Memorial
  • Wells Fargo

The Players- it is the equivalent of a major, and love seeing them take on Sawgrass

The Northern Trust- Because I like seeing the Northeast courses, and great field

The Memorial- Always a good field on a fun course to watch, and it's good to see Jack so much all weekend

The Tour Championship- The season capper before the Ryder or President's Cup events. Would probably rate it higher if it were on a better course

Tie: RSM- an odd one, but I love that Sea Island course and it is fun to occasionally watch some of the non-superstars compete, and

The AT&T- Seeing Pebble and Spyglass in February starts to get me thinking about getting out on the course again in a few weeks, and what great courses to watch in the middle of winter

On 5/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Middler said:

• The Memorial
  • Wells Fargo

I agree with a couple people on the Waste Management.  I love watching this tournament.  I love the throwing gifts into the stands.  I loved watching the caddie races when they were allowed to do it.  I think its nice at least once a year to see golf and pro golfers, not be so stuffy, and not take themselves too seriously.  

I watch almost all of them, but I honestly love watching the European Tour Events.  The wide variety of landscapes you get to observe watching their events from S. Africa, to Morocco, to Sweden, Germany, I just enjoy.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I like the Players and Valspar because I know the courses, well. Beyond that I’m watching any tournament without celebrity amateurs involved when I have time and TV availability. That means I tend to watch as much European Tour golf as PGA tour. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm going to take this in a little different direction.  In order of my preference...... 

1. Irish Open
  2. Scottish Open
  3. Alfred Dunhill Links Championship
  4. BMW PGA Championship
  5. Players Championship

The first four are better than any regular PGA Tour event, in my opinion.  And it isn't close!

The Players and any of the tournaments on courses I have played before. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Waste management. It really brings out the younger population in droves. I know it’s unpopular because of the drinking but I think it helps to grow the game. It may not be the way we would want it but it brings a lot of eyes on the game

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Waste management. It really brings out the younger population in droves. I know it’s unpopular because of the drinking but I think it helps to grow the game. It may not be the way we would want it but it brings a lot of eyes on the game

Bringing out people helps local AZ charitable causes, but how do you know it grows the game? I am not concluding you're right or wrong, but I haven’t seen evidence either way, how do you know?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/wasted-management-phoenix-open-how-is-this-a-good-thing

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

Bringing out people helps local AZ charitable causes, but how do you know it grows the game? I haven’t seen evidence either way, how do you know?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/wasted-management-phoenix-open-how-is-this-a-good-thing

If Waste(d) Management is how we're growing the game, count me fully committed to the "shrink the game" camp!

Used to love WGC-Bridgestone because it was in our backyard and always brought out Tiger...

So Farmer's @ Torrey, Bay Hill cause Arnie, Match Play in Austin, Memorial, and Anything at Bethpage.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I like the Zurich now that it’s changed to a team format, I enjoy watching tournaments on courses I’ve played, and I like most of the match play events. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Bringing out people helps local AZ charitable causes, but how do you know it grows the game? I am not concluding you're right or wrong, but I haven’t seen evidence either way, how do you know?

Numerous fraternity brothers were interested in going because of the party scene alone a few years back. They didn’t even own golf clubs. All 5 started playing after attending the tournament and 3 of them joined country clubs specifically for golf memberships. 

Titleist ProV1

3 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Numerous fraternity brothers were interested in going because of the party scene alone a few years back. They didn’t even own golf clubs. All 5 started playing after attending the tournament and 3 of them joined country clubs specifically for golf memberships. 

That's anecdotal, not evidence. Again, you may be right, but I can't find anything that supports the statement WMO is growing golf. And it seems to be widely held that golf is too stuffy, that does seem to be changing SLOWLY for the better (as old guys die off?).

I can't stand the WMO, but I know I may be in the minority.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 minute ago, Middler said:

That's anecdotal, not evidence. Again, you may be right, but I can't find anything that supports the statement WMO is growing golf. I can't stand it, but I know I may be in the minority.

Their won’t be any evidence or correlation. Its just interesting to see that’s it has the record for weekly attendance 719k and seems to hold up as a non major around the top 10 for viewers.  I guess the better statement would have been that it keeps golf relevant in the eye of the public. 

Titleist ProV1

No thanks...

First, some of the logistics to paint the picture. The stadium surrounding the 178-yard par 3 seats more than 16,000, and by 7 a.m. fans come pouring in by the thousands, many sprinting toward the entrance to snag one of the roughly 4,000 first-come-first-serve seats that surround the right and back of the green as well as a small strip of seats to the left of the tee box. These amount to the cheap seats -- a grounds pass gets you in, while other seating on the hole requires a corporate ticket.

Concessions don’t open until 8 a.m., but it’s quickly apparent the crowd has already served itself.

At 4:30 a.m., one group of 23 Arizona State alum and students were downing mimosas, beer, vodka chugged straight from the bottle and other libations before all piling into a one limo. Hey, at least they were smart enough to have someone else do the driving.

In a line stretching out and around the Colosseum, as it’s called by the PGA Tour, one Arizona State coed is having what those in competitive eating competitions call a reversal. I am assured she is not a competitive eater, unless you’re counting wheat, barley or various other grains that are fermented. Nearby, a late 30s/early 40s man pulls a flask from his sock and proceeds to dispense probably not hot chocolate, though it does seem to warm him in the chilly early morning 45-degree temps.

It takes not much longer to confirm through a police officer who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to speak on such matters that last year one female had passed out from intoxication near a porta potty having defecated on herself. That was the least of her problems as she had a certain white, powdery substance around her nose that is illegal in all 50 states.

Speaking of the porta pottys, more than one officer also confirms the biggest complaint from fans is people having sex in them. Later, I overhear this very complaint from a woman to a friend after returning to her seat. The officers also confirm these will actually be the least of their problems among the liquefied masses of 204,904 at TPC Scottsdale this day, a record crowd for the event.

It’s frat party, plus music festival (sans music), plus golf tournament. Many, especially on 16, however, are not there for the golf. They are here for the party and the people watching, of which there is plenty, especially in this day of the zoom function on smart phones. “How can you not get drunk on a day like this!” exclaims one bearded, pot-bellied man in his 40s. Some are here for the golf, travel from afar and are quite dedicated in their research, though.

By the time players actually start arriving at the hole -- the first group of Ben Crane, Cameron Smith and Charley Hoffman comes through the tunnel left of the tee box at 10:22 a.m. -- nearly the entire stadium is full and in full-throat.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-day-at-the-waste-managements-16th-is-a-dream-to-some-golf-fans-something-well-short-of-that-to-others

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

St. Jude and The Memorial simply for the amazing work they do on behalf of children healthcare.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)