TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rebuild my swing or…

Back in Feb. I got a new set of irons for my big 5-0 birthday. Ended up getting some TM Sim 2’s with an a-wedge. Over the last couple months I’ve been messing with my golf swing at home hoping to improve my swing. 

Well, the last two times playing, I hit the ball horribly. Probably, the worst I’ve hit the ball in a decade. The rounds weren’t even enjoyable. 

I think the tinkering with my swing is what hurt me. My swing is so jacked up and none of my old swing thoughts work, so to speak. 

I’m looking for some guidance going forward. Do I rebuild my swing? If so, how? Maybe find a local pro and line-up 3 lessons? I’m at my wits end and am open to suggestions. 

Thanks. 

Onward,
Mark

One day I hope to play golf regularly again.

I think many of us have been in the same position.

IMO, the best course of action is to take a long-term view for improvement. Definitely organise a lesson ASAP - but setup a timeline for when you're going to get additional lessons that suits you. E.g. Once a month. This will give you time to rehearse what you learned from your previous lesson. Just make sure you can dedicate time to rehearsing the changes as well, not just during rounds.

Personally, I have deviated from that plan lately and that's alright. My career has been taking off so there has been a lot of effort devoted to that. I've basically been playing once a week, no lessons, and minimal other practice. My game has stagnated as a result. In the end, your game is only going to get out what you put into it.

Best of luck!

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Welcome to MGS!

Tough to say what you should do. Could be that what you worked on still isn't ingrained yet if these were your first few rounds of the year. Could also just be rust that needs to get knocked off. The "best" answer would probably be to have a pro look at your swing and take a few lessons. You may not need to rebuild anything, just get a set of knowledgeable eyes on you to help you re-discover what worked for you in the past.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

Back in Feb. I got a new set of irons for my big 5-0 birthday. Ended up getting some TM Sim 2’s with an a-wedge. Over the last couple months I’ve been messing with my golf swing at home hoping to improve my swing. 

Well, the last two times playing, I hit the ball horribly. Probably, the worst I’ve hit the ball in a decade. The rounds weren’t even enjoyable. 

I think the tinkering with my swing is what hurt me. My swing is so jacked up and none of my old swing thoughts work, so to speak. 

I’m looking for some guidance going forward. Do I rebuild my swing? If so, how? Maybe find a local pro and line-up 3 lessons? I’m at my wits end and am open to suggestions. 

Thanks. 

Most people don't know what to do to improve their swing.    Many golfers fall into the trap of self improvement, they hear something that they think will work and incorporate that into their swing and something else goes wrong so they change something else.   Applying the wrong "fix" often makes the swing worse.   

I finally went and got a lesson to fix some of my issues and it was the best thing I could do.    Don't necessarily have to rebuild your swing,  just get someone that knows what they are doing.   Could be something that just needs a couple of lessons. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Go take a lesson!  I too was struggling and started posting rounds in the 90's and dare I say some crossed over into triple digits.  I said enough and went to GolfTec and took like 10 lessons (this was my first time ever taking lessons and had been playing since I was 13 years old and was like 50 at this point).  Helped me tremendously, went from a 17 down to a 9.  I've been slowly inching back up again (at a 13 currently - lessons were two years ago) and so I decided to go get a tune up at a local course with Plane Truth Golf.  One lesson and I was back on track hitting bombs and hellacious seeds - posting better scores and the handicap is coming down.  The swing is way more important than what equipment your swinging.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:59 PM, Duffer Mark said:

Thanks. 

Duffer Mark:  I have never had a lesson.  I don't know your level of play, and there is limited information in your post.  But this is my advice.  Unless your swing was in such a state, that you couldn't get the ball off the ground,  before you began to "Mess" with your swing to "improve" it...DON'T AND STOP IMMEDIATELY.  I've seen too many people believing that there is something that a swing "should" be, which is why they are not scoring as well as they think they should be.  What I have seen many times is that practicing more, and thinking less, is usually best.

I line up behind the ball to make sure I'm aimed as straight as I can be, where I want the ball to go generally, and then I swing at the ball, with the swing that I've come up with after many years of playing.  I don't think of anything else.  If you are actually thinking about the takeaway, follow through, and other things while standing over the ball this is also a problem.  I would suggest that perhaps your swing didn't need any tinkering, and that now you are continuing to think too much about "finding" that old swing. 

This I'm sure sounds terribly simplistic, but stop thinking and just line up and hit the ball.  If you are looking for "improvement", then practice chipping and putting regularly and often.  This will contribute more to "improvement" than altering your swing ever will, unless of course it was as I said earlier, that your swing was so bad that you couldn't get the ball off the ground.  If not then just go with the swing that brought you, and as you improve overall you will begin to understand it and be able to work with it more.

My opinion is that thinking too much about the mechanical things in golf, is one of  the worst thing that a golfer can do.  Concentrate on strategy, and hit clubs you can hit, know that pros only make 50% of their putts from 8 feet, so concentrate on not 3 putting only on anything over 8'.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I would also recommend taking some lessons.  A good coach will hopefully be able to find a few minor adjustments that work with your existing swing to get you hitting better.  

I doubt most people really have a swing that requires a drastic overhaul.  A slight change to setup and being a bit more mindful have helped me greatly.  My coach really helped me feel confident that overall my swing was pretty good, there are just a few minor changes that needed to be done to get more consistent solid contact.  Now it’s a matter of continuing to practice that and not over think it.

Some day I'll get some clubs built in this century.

Tagging on with the lesson recommendations here. The only thing I've found working with instructors is to find a coach that will take what you already know and how you already swing, and then enhance it from there. Too many coaches try to 'rebuild' from the ground up, but if you've been playing for a long time, you have some definite abilities. Lessons should work to 'refine' in my opinion, not necessarily 'rebuild.'

God speed with the path forward and welcome to MGS!

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks. 

I think the lesson idea is smart and a good idea to get you on track... but it sounds like you want to "own" your swing and figure out what works for you, so you need to also figure out WHAT you want to be doing, and how to get there... your coach should be part of that plan and help to make sure you are doing the things you need to be doing to build towards the swing you want.

I highly recommend checking out Adam Young. The Practice Manual is great, but it's a long read! He goes over a ton of basics on the Chasing Scratch Podcast (just search Adam Young on iTunes, he also has a good podcast with Jon Sherman but it's very technical)... Figure out what you want out of your golf swing and start working towards that. Find people who will help you on that path and listen to them.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

I have had a similar question recently.  Lessons, or power through with volume for gradual - but "in my control" improvement (i.e. buckets and rounds). 

I have never had a lesson, and over the years (started playing seriously when I was 19 - currently 51... with a few breaks in there for work/family priorities) I was as low as a 5 handicap, but spent most of my playing time in the 8-10 range.  For work and family reasons - I stopped playing about 4 years ago (maybe a round or two a year with friends) and 2 years ago I lost 175 pounds.  Ok - there is the background.... now - things are normalizing in my non-golf life and I'm picking up the game (that I love btw) again.  My 125 yard PW are now more like 95.  My 165 yard 7 iron is now 140 if I'm lucky.  My driver used to be 240-260... I tracked yesterday's round.... I averaged 200.  Ugh.  The swing doesn't feel good or natural.  The impact certainly doesn't feel good, and even when I "flush" an iron... the distance is embarrassing - not to mention my "good drives".  Having said all that... I wasn't hard on myself too much - and still enjoyed the round yesterday and the other rounds I have played in similar fashion.  

So, I have always steered clear of lessons since my swing is self taught, and for the most part - I felt like I was a feel player with my swing and enjoyed that as part of my game.  But I would like to better understand why I have had such a drastic degradation of my game (Age, Weight Loss, Muscle Loss, Broken Swing, all of the above probably).  But I am heavily considering going to GolfTec close to my home and having an assessment done - and possibly some lessons.  Having read the thread above, I am even more leaning toward that path... more consistency in my swing and lower scores is definitely a way to more enjoying rounds... but I also don't relish the frustration of that "learning curve" where the potential to play worse exists as the implementation of instruction changes the way the swing is executed.  

Having said all that... I think I'll get the lessons - after playing a few more rounds to make sure my swing is (for better or worse) as good as it will get without direction.

Open to any suggestions or comments - If I pull the trigger, I'll share my progress.

~Tim.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
7 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I have had a similar question recently.  Lessons, or power through with volume for gradual - but "in my control" improvement (i.e. buckets and rounds). 

I have never had a lesson, and over the years (started playing seriously when I was 19 - currently 51... with a few breaks in there for work/family priorities) I was as low as a 5 handicap, but spent most of my playing time in the 8-10 range.  For work and family reasons - I stopped playing about 4 years ago (maybe a round or two a year with friends) and 2 years ago I lost 175 pounds.  Ok - there is the background.... now - things are normalizing in my non-golf life and I'm picking up the game (that I love btw) again.  My 125 yard PW are now more like 95.  My 165 yard 7 iron is now 140 if I'm lucky.  My driver used to be 240-260... I tracked yesterday's round.... I averaged 200.  Ugh.  The swing doesn't feel good or natural.  The impact certainly doesn't feel good, and even when I "flush" an iron... the distance is embarrassing - not to mention my "good drives".  Having said all that... I wasn't hard on myself too much - and still enjoyed the round yesterday and the other rounds I have played in similar fashion.  

So, I have always steered clear of lessons since my swing is self taught, and for the most part - I felt like I was a feel player with my swing and enjoyed that as part of my game.  But I would like to better understand why I have had such a drastic degradation of my game (Age, Weight Loss, Muscle Loss, Broken Swing, all of the above probably).  But I am heavily considering going to GolfTec close to my home and having an assessment done - and possibly some lessons.  Having read the thread above, I am even more leaning toward that path... more consistency in my swing and lower scores is definitely a way to more enjoying rounds... but I also don't relish the frustration of that "learning curve" where the potential to play worse exists as the implementation of instruction changes the way the swing is executed.  

Having said all that... I think I'll get the lessons - after playing a few more rounds to make sure my swing is (for better or worse) as good as it will get without direction.

Open to any suggestions or comments - If I pull the trigger, I'll share my progress.

~Tim.

As you say you are self taught.  You can continue that way and wrk toward getting better.  
you don’t want the step back/learning curve but you aren’t happy with how you are playing. Sounds like you game is going the wrong way already.  Lessons don’t habpve to be a rebuild of the swing.  Explain to the coach what you are trying to do and build a plan to get there.

congrats on the weight loss.   While good, it probably influenced how you swung the club.  4 years without really playing impacts the swing.  Maybe your memory on distances wasn’t very accurate.   No reason to dwell on the past and what you did 4 or more years ago.  Figure out what you want to do now and work toward those goals.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44 minutes ago, cnosil said:

congrats on the weight loss.   While good, it probably influenced how you swung the club.  4 years without really playing impacts the swing.  Maybe your memory on distances wasn’t very accurate.   No reason to dwell on the past and what you did 4 or more years ago.  Figure out what you want to do now and work toward those goals.

Thanks CN - good advice.  Maybe a diver's weight belt is in my future to get that mass in my swing back ;).  JK. 

Bottom line... even playing poorly - it's still fun and a great sport... perspective is my first goal.  :).  

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Over the last couple months I’ve been messing with my golf swing at home hoping to improve my swing. 

Well, the last two times playing, I hit the ball horribly. 

I think the tinkering with my swing is what hurt me. 

I’m looking for some guidance going forward. Do I rebuild my swing?

First things first, you don't know enough to determine what you need to change to make your swing better.  I know that's blunt, but its true.  If every single top level golfer in the world (other than Bubba) uses a swing instructor, why should any of us think we can do it on our own?

Which leads to the first bit in bold, how did you determine what to "mess with"?  If its not based on analysis of your swing by a qualified instructor, its almost certain to be wrong.  That goes double if you used Youtube videos.  So yes, I'd bet your tinkering has had some negative impact.

Do you rebuild your swing?  Not necessarily, you should get advice from a good instructor, who will help you to determine what you need to improve, and how to improve it.  In my opinion, a good lesson should result in one or maybe two distinct changes for you to work on, along with drills and/or feels to achieve those changes.  And then you MUST practice those feels and drills for a while, without getting distracted, a couple of weeks to a month.  And then another lesson, to evaluate your progress, or (if you've done well with your practice) to identify the next thing to change.  If your instructor wants you to start from scratch, and gives you a long list of things to change, find a different instructor.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The quickest way from point "A" to point "B" is a straight line. Self diagnostics typically leads to self destruction in the golf swing. You think you are doing this but you are actually doing that. You try to correct that and then you get this. You will probably get more frustrated along the way and use most of the other letters in the alphabet putting together curse words! My advise is to let someone trained see what you are doing and help guide you to a better swing. The most important thing is to find someone that you mesh with. I think you will get where you want faster with proper instruction and allow you to enjoy golf much quicker.       

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The quickest way from point "A" to point "B" is a straight line. Self diagnostics typically leads to self destruction in the golf swing. You think you are doing this but you are actually doing that. You try to correct that and then you get this. You will probably get more frustrated along the way and use most of the other letters in the alphabet putting together curse words! My advise is to let someone trained see what you are doing and help guide you to a better swing. The most important thing is to find someone that you mesh with. I think you will get where you want faster with proper instruction and allow you to enjoy golf much quicker.       

^^^  I'm an example of this... or is it that. 

I wish I was less stupid 30 years ago!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

^^^  I'm an example of this... or is it that. 

Me too!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

With age comes wisdom.  I'm just wondering how much older I'm going to have to get in order to get some of that stuff!  😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

For me, the more I think about my swing the worse I play.  Best rounds are just aim the ball and hit it.  Plus practice short game a lot, will save you a ton of strokes.  I have a teacher that I use a couple times a year.  I got in a rut a month or so ago and asked him for 15 minutes and in just a few swings he told me what I wasn't doing.  Made a huge difference and didn't take much time.  But I still don't think about it on the course, just aim and go.  Most of my game issues are between my ears.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Getting new equipment takes time to get used to. It may be slightly different to what you had and that is what is changing your swing. A lesson with a pro with the new irons should be able to figure out what the change was. But the main thing might be just getting used to your new irons and over time you will find your swing again.  

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

I went to the range last night with my new Swing Caddie... confirming my suspicions... really really low swing speed.  (Not that I'm surprised... first culprit for distance is swing speed in the the equation).  But I have at least one thing to work on... improving my 85 mph average to something in the mid-90's (driver speed... which should also increase my speeds for irons, improving their distance too).  From there - work on technique (with a coach most likely).  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
On 6/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, Tiftaaft said:

But I have at least one thing to work on... improving my 85 mph average to something in the mid-90's (driver speed... which should also increase my speeds for irons, improving their distance too).  From there - work on technique (with a coach most likely).  

Perhaps working on technique is the best way to improve swing speed.  For most people, improved technique will result in better distance as well as better consistency.  I'd start with the coach, start with technique.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

11 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd start with the coach, start with technique

Thanks Dave, you are right, I was a bit out of order.  Swing speed is a good result of success in improving the technique.  A lagging indicator.. not a leading fix.

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1