Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

unpopular opinion, but i’d be completely fine going back to no fans on the golf course

Chip Strokes

It’s sad how unruly “fans” have crept into golf, I didn’t miss them when they were locked out. Expense account fans with comped tickets who are mostly there to be seen and take a day off work, some who know little or nothing about golf, and liberal alcohol sales only make it worse. The WMO is my least favorite tournament for that reason (I don’t watch it live, just highlights later if at all), #16 is an abomination in my view, but I realize some people love it. #16 isn’t about golf. But that horse isn’t going back into the barn, and I assume it will only get worse and worse like most pro sports crowds - the uncontrolled rush at #72 at the PGA is exhibit A. 

Fortunately you can see a lot more on TV anyway, but you still hear the drunken boneheads shouting after every shot.

I don't know which expresses LOOK AT ME, I AM A BONEHEAD more - baba-booey, get in the hole or mashed potatoes. Really?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Is the problem really fans in general or is it just the 1% of fans who act like idiots?  I dont have a problem with the vast majority fans who act respectfully, I just could do without the, "light the candle" guy who drinks a few too many beers and dont know how to act right at a golf tournament.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Is the problem really fans in general or is it just the 1% of fans who act like idiots?  I dont have a problem with the vast majority fans who act respectfully, I just could do without the, "light the candle" guy who drinks a few too many beers and dont know how to act right at a golf tournament.

the 1% are definitely the issue. 

the problem with that, is perception is reality. what gets noticed more? the fans enjoying the tournament, or the couple of jackasses yelling mashed potatoes after a phil tee shot?

so to the casual viewer, like my wife walking thru the living room while i’m watching golf on a sunday afternoon, that’s what “golf fans” do at tournaments. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Undoubtedly true, but 1% is all it takes to spoil it for others. I don’t think tournament management has changed as much as fans have, there are no rules for some people these days and it’s not PC to say anything. Times have changed, that’s life. Just look at the NFL or the NBA fans.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I miss hearing the roar around the green when putts are made.  There were a couple tourneys last year that stood out for their silence when Thomas and i think it was Morikawa drained back to back putts to force a playoff.  And in one of the following weeks I think it was Rahm that made a bomb to win in a playoff.  There was definitely less energy without those fans.  

On the other hand I hate the yelling after the tee shots. 

I vote for silencing the mike's around the tees and leave them on around the greens.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

You all know how hard it is to get Masters tickets. Last time I was there I was at the ropes watching Phil hit his approach shot into the green and this drunk jerk steps up next to me and tried to have a conversation. Mind you this is only around 11:00 and he is staggering. Then he proceeds to tell me he wasn't there to watch golf, it was to get drunk. I gave up my spot at the ropes just to get away. It made me so mad.

These are the guys that just shouldn't be allowed in. I'm sure any one of you would have loved to have his ticket and actually cared about watching.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag