unpopular opinion, but i’d be completely fine going back to no fans on the golf course

I believe there is a difference to watching on TV and being there. For the players I am sure they love having fans back and it is great to have those crowds watching and them being able to entertain as well as that extra added element. For me as a fan who watches basically on TV only I couldn't care less and they are more of a distraction then anything. I prefer having none or lower numbers as at the Masters... but at the same time I watching the my group at the masters so it was just shot after shot after shot so I didn't notice a difference. 

Fans are needed for the sport and being able to have them watch in person makes a lot of money, but maybe we will see a change in how fans are handled at events moving forward... I mean at least we are not like the NBA recently....

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

After getting to experience the before and after of the fans I am also torn on them being back. I love the roar of the crowd when a great shot is made, it definitely adds to the viewing experience. On the other hand, drunk revelers, or just plain idiots, screaming after every shot is annoying AF and I cringe every time I hear mashed potato or get in the hole.

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Ok didn’t catch any rounds this week. Was it everyday that was bad or specific groups? Or was it strictly Sunday last group? 

reason I ask the tournament I have been to I have never heard anything crazy. Usually really respectable honestly and have followed some primo groups. I remember it was tigers first round back I believe after a back injury and the following was pretty crazy. This was also day 2 (don’t believe he made the cut that week)

• Like 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

3 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

I believe there is a difference to watching on TV and being there. For the players I am sure they love having fans back and it is great to have those crowds watching and them being able to entertain as well as that extra added element. 

i’m willing to bet that if you asked players, off record, you’d be surprised how many don’t like the fans and wouldn’t want them there. or would at least want them kept further back than they are. 

of course, they’ll never say that on record because that would make them an instant pariah 

• Like 1

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Ok didn’t catch any rounds this week. Was it everyday that was bad or specific groups? Or was it strictly Sunday last group? 

reason I ask the tournament I have been to I have never heard anything crazy. Usually really respectable honestly and have followed some primo groups. I remember it was tigers first round back I believe after a back injury and the following was pretty crazy. This was also day 2 (don’t believe he made the cut that week)

CBS was actually cutting the audio right after tee shots yesterday. it sounded choppy and a little weird, but extremely preferable IMO

• Like 3

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

11 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I agree, forget the fans. I liked being able to hear the discussion before a shot between player and caddy.

Great point and one of the things I'll miss the most.  There is still some good commentary.  Example the Spieth wedge shot at Colonial on Thursday I think.

11 hours ago, TBT said:

I did miss the crowd reaction after a great shot, especially a stuffed approach...but other than that I can do without them 

Another great point here.  I think it can help a player gain some momentum and you can at times feel the buzz from the tournament.  

A bit conflicted myself as I also like the ability to see a bit more of the course with fewer fans. However, I think what they were able to do with the drones and things at the PGA was fantastic.

• Like 2

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

10 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

i think you bring up an important distinction - the people i’m complaining about aren’t fans, they’re idiots who had a golf tournament break out in the middle of their day drinking. 

Golf bros.  They're awful.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I'll add a little different perspective.    From a TV perspective fans are a meaningless thing and really don't add any value;  TV golf is probably better without fans and the idiots that yell stuff make it even worse.    I just finished my volunteer week at the LPGA Pure Silk Championship which only allowed limited fans.   The atmosphere on the course is just so different.  I didn't think to ask any of the players but I would bet they would prefer to have fans on the course cheering them on.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I'll add a little different perspective.    From a TV perspective fans are a meaningless thing and really don't add any value;  TV golf is probably better without fans and the idiots that yell stuff make it even worse.    I just finished my volunteer week at the LPGA Pure Silk Championship which only allowed limited fans.   The atmosphere on the course is just so different.  I didn't think to ask any of the players but I would bet they would prefer to have fans on the course cheering them on.  

do you think it’s fair to say that there are less “casual” fans at LPGA events?

maybe i’m off base, but itd be my assumption that with a smaller fan base, you end up getting more engaged and invested spectators who are there to enjoy good golf. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

do you think it’s fair to say that there are less “casual” fans at LPGA events?

maybe i’m off base, but itd be my assumption that with a smaller fan base, you end up getting more engaged and invested spectators who are there to enjoy good golf. 

In general yes,  but you are still going to end up with the people that just see it as a place to go get some beer.   

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It’s sad how unruly “fans” have crept into golf, I didn’t miss them when they were locked out. Expense account fans with comped tickets who are mostly there to be seen and take a day off work, some who know little or nothing about golf, and liberal alcohol sales only make it worse. The WMO is my least favorite tournament for that reason (I don’t watch it live, just highlights later if at all), #16 is an abomination in my view, but I realize some people love it. #16 isn’t about golf. But that horse isn’t going back into the barn, and I assume it will only get worse and worse like most pro sports crowds - the uncontrolled rush at #72 at the PGA is exhibit A. 

Fortunately you can see a lot more on TV anyway, but you still hear the drunken boneheads shouting after every shot.

I don't know which expresses LOOK AT ME, I AM A BONEHEAD more - baba-booey, get in the hole or mashed potatoes. Really?

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Posted (edited)

Is the problem really fans in general or is it just the 1% of fans who act like idiots?  I dont have a problem with the vast majority fans who act respectfully, I just could do without the, "light the candle" guy who drinks a few too many beers and dont know how to act right at a golf tournament.

Edited by ZenGolfer
  • Like 5

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 blue ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Is the problem really fans in general or is it just the 1% of fans who act like idiots?  I dont have a problem with the vast majority fans who act respectfully, I just could do without the, "light the candle" guy who drinks a few too many beers and dont know how to act right at a golf tournament.

the 1% are definitely the issue. 

the problem with that, is perception is reality. what gets noticed more? the fans enjoying the tournament, or the couple of jackasses yelling mashed potatoes after a phil tee shot?

so to the casual viewer, like my wife walking thru the living room while i’m watching golf on a sunday afternoon, that’s what “golf fans” do at tournaments. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Undoubtedly true, but 1% is all it takes to spoil it for others. I don’t think tournament management has changed as much as fans have, there are no rules for some people these days and it’s not PC to say anything. Times have changed, that’s life. Just look at the NFL or the NBA fans.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I miss hearing the roar around the green when putts are made.  There were a couple tourneys last year that stood out for their silence when Thomas and i think it was Morikawa drained back to back putts to force a playoff.  And in one of the following weeks I think it was Rahm that made a bomb to win in a playoff.  There was definitely less energy without those fans.  

On the other hand I hate the yelling after the tee shots. 

I vote for silencing the mike's around the tees and leave them on around the greens.

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

You all know how hard it is to get Masters tickets. Last time I was there I was at the ropes watching Phil hit his approach shot into the green and this drunk jerk steps up next to me and tried to have a conversation. Mind you this is only around 11:00 and he is staggering. Then he proceeds to tell me he wasn't there to watch golf, it was to get drunk. I gave up my spot at the ropes just to get away. It made me so mad.

These are the guys that just shouldn't be allowed in. I'm sure any one of you would have loved to have his ticket and actually cared about watching.

• Like 5

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"