TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Memorial 2021

fixyurdivot

Founded and hosted by Jack Nicklaus, The Memorial has become the centerpiece of the Nicklaus Family's tireless efforts in support of children's healthcare. For 46 years and counting, the event has raised nearly $60,000,000 for charity.  How many of you knew that Roger Maltbie was the inaugural winner in 1976? Jack won it twice in 1977 and 1984.

John Rahm returns as the defending champion - and seems due for another tour win. But he'll have plenty of top level challengers looking to hoist that hardware.  While I hope one of my FTx team can be that person (and that my slackers start pulling their weight), I'm thinking it is going to be a Justin Thomas returns to form week.  Who are you picking?

The First Look: the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've been picking Thomas and Morikawa for a few weeks now. Hopefully one of them pull through. It'll be interesting to see who handles the changes Jack made to the course. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Personally I would really like to see Spieth rebound from the Sunday letdown.  But, I'm reading how much effort Jack Nicklaus put into renovating the place to stand up better to the professional game, which means Bryson will win!  🤣

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

On 5/30/2021 at 10:15 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Founded and hosted by Jack Nicklaus, The Memorial has become the centerpiece of the Nicklaus Family's tireless efforts in support of children's healthcare. For 46 years and counting, the event has raised nearly $60,000,000 for charity.  How many of you knew that Roger Maltbie was the inaugural winner in 1976? Jack won it twice in 1977 and 1984.

John Rahm returns as the defending champion - and seems due for another tour win. But he'll have plenty of top level challengers looking to hoist that hardware.  While I hope one of my FTx team can be that person (and that my slackers start pulling their weight), I'm thinking it is going to be a Justin Thomas returns to form week.  Who are you picking?

The First Look: the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide

Rahm repeat🤔

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

32 minutes ago, JeremyD said:

It'll be interesting to see who handles the changes Jack made to the course. 

My image of Jack revamping the course...

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! | by Eric Griggs | Medium

I went to the Memorial today. Followed JT, Ricky and Rory for 5 holes as they played their back nine practice round together. 

Lots of changes to the course! Also, only 20k patrons allowed each day which meant virtually nobody around the players compared to past years. 

We had clubhouse passes and "mistakenly" stumbled into the players lounge. Bryson was sitting there eating lunch 10 feet away and about 10 other players were also in there taking it easy. If you ever get into the clubhouse at MVGC, I highly suggest their milkshakes.  

Oh......Dufner was coaching Speith on how to hit a cut on the range. Very odd to say the least. 

Looking forward to The Memorial.  Always one I try to watch as I enjoy the course and it's a good field.  We went about 7/8 years ago and had a great time.  A lot of tight tee shots, deep rough and tall trees to maneuver around if you aren't hitting fairways. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

It's time for Rickie to come out of his funk.  

I also think Patrick Reed will contend.  

I'm picking Viktor Hovland.

Where is Matthew Wolfe this year??  With Anthony Kim?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

With such a deep field it will be tough and a well deserved win by anyone who does come out on top. 
My picks will be Morikawa and Finau.
Not so much a sleeper but Conners to come out strong and be there at the end. 
Really wish Wolff was able to come back and play, but whether it is injury or personal seems like this is a lost season for the young guy. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

...what can't Steph Curry do?

Getting a "wow" from a PGA player is nothing to laugh at.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Still rooting for Thomas, Hovland and Fowler, and wifey secretly for Rory, but I'm happy to see almost any of the pros win - whoever has their A game over the next 4 days. The Memorial is one of my favorite tournaments every year, and this year we have the renovations to look forward to as well. Wunderbar!

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Went to the tournament today with my wife.  Finally talked into going with me, and it was cloudy and misty.  we had fun watching Finau, but Kutcher just fell apart in front of us.  Not very pretty.  He eventually WD during the lightning delay.  While we were all standing under the shelter of the clubhouse gift shop, I Saw B. Todd, just standing there talking to people like he was a spectator. Eventually my wife had enough and we left.  Always nice to roam around that place.

20210603_111651.jpg

20210603_111929.jpg

20210603_125601.jpg

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

The more I watch pro golf the more I am amazed at one particular skill most all of them have that most amateurs do not... and that would be the ability to hit shots out of thick ruff with both carry control and accuracy.  It's simply boggles my noggin.  Rory just hit out of ankle deep grass, on a slight downhill lie, from 150 yards, over the pond protecting the green, and leaves it 10 ft. from the cup. Yea, I just don't see that much in my golf sphere.

Much like long approach bunker shots, it's simply a shot situation we don't get opportunities to practice much if at all.  Maybe more ranges should add some thick grass and sand stations 👍.

Who are you and what have you done with Rickie?

Rickie Fowler admits he had trouble seeing objects from 150 yards out

9 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Gotta be the shades.   Phil starts wearing shades and becomes oldest winner of PGA championship.   Ricky starts wearing shades and is playing great in the Memorial.    How many people are going to start wearing shades while playing?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Gotta be the shades.   Phil starts wearing shades and becomes oldest winner of PGA championship.   Ricky starts wearing shades and is playing great in the Memorial.    How many people are going to start wearing shades while playing?

I thought I read somewhere he was having vision problems ? 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

6 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I think both started wearing them due to vision problems.    I still think its gotta be the shades. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

41 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

That's what I read as well.  

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

The more I watch pro golf the more I am amazed at one particular skill most all of them have that most amateurs do not... and that would be the ability to hit shots out of thick ruff with both carry control and accuracy.  It's simply boggles my noggin.  Rory just hit out of ankle deep grass, on a slight downhill lie, from 150 yards, over the pond protecting the green, and leaves it 10 ft. from the cup. Yea, I just don't see that much in my golf sphere.

Much like long approach bunker shots, it's simply a shot situation we don't get opportunities to practice much if at all.  Maybe more ranges should add some thick grass and sand stations 👍.

So true. Played a course recently that I knew had a practice bunker and I showed up over an hour early so I could practice since no one has them. Even better a course near where I grew up had a while sorry game area with pouches and bunkers up to about 60 yards. Wish I had used it more.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

He looks like he has to state “ I’m not a cop” 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

50 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

Is that why he helped develop the TP5pix balls?  Seems like he started his decline when he started playing those balls.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

39 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Is that why he helped develop the TP5pix balls?  Seems like he started his decline when he started playing those balls.

He was dealing with an injury during 2018 season and recently changed coaches and a swing change. The issues he was havij g then carried over to his putting which was a strength. Once he started having issues on the greens there was no saving bad holes 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Bryson drives it 378 yards leaving 88 to the hole and gets a bogey.  Now that would really pi$$ me off 😆.

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Bryson drives it 378 yards leaving 88 to the hole and gets a bogey.  Now that would really pi$$ me off 😆.

Goes to prove hitting it a long way doesn’t guarantee lower scores…

But I wouldn’t be mad hitting it that far!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Goes to prove hitting it a long way doesn’t guarantee lower scores…

But I wouldn’t be mad hitting it that far!!!

Agree... on both points. 

Rambo playing like world #1... wishes he was playing.  Looks like he's going to be tough to chase down tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Rambo playing like world #1... wishes he was playing.  Looks like he's going to be tough to chase down tomorrow.

His Tournament to lose.  BUT stranger things have happened.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Rahm rested positive for Covid and has to withdraw.

talk about a lousy break.  He’s playing incredibly well and had this Tournament under control.

the way the news was delivered to him was not really great.  Could have been done behind closed doors.

Rick

Left Hand, 

If I’m Rahm, I’m testing as many times as possible until I get a negative. Those tests are so wonky….

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX