Handicap Appropriate Equipment-Ego vs Reality

In my experience I would say better (amateur) players I know seem to care about what others see them playing.  Also, some have the attitude that playing more forgiving irons is almost paramount to cheating.  My thoughts, both ego and being self-conscious are simply hurdles for human beings to overcome in general.  Over time I've learned to accept that any assistance I can obtain with consistency, hence scoring, is welcome.  I'm a high single digit hdcp but I've always struggled with iron play.  I now play super forgiving Srixon ZX4's, and the consistency in my iron game is steadily improving.  Most of us don't play this game for a living, play the most forgiving clubs your ego can handle, the game is supposed to be fun.         

• Like 3

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

:ping-small: G425 3W - 16 degree

:ping-small: G425 5W - 19 degree

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

SRIXON ZX4 5-AW - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

Here is my actual case. For all but the last season I played game improvement cavity back irons and was at a 3.5 handicap. I used regular shafts standard off the rack equipment with the exception of a mid size grip. I am 61 years old.  I had no issues with my equipment or the desire to change. I figured game improvement irons would always help my game as I got older. Then I was selected to test a set of players distance irons (Thanks MGS). I thought this would be a perfect test since I was content with my game and my equipment. I went through the fitting process and they put me in stiff flex shafts. I thought this might be a mistake, but I went with all the recommendations. Well my irons arrived and off to the races I went. This was a very positive change for me. My iron play got better and my handicap dropped to less than 2 within two months. Right now sitting at 1.7.   

So there is no magic other than a proper fitting to see what works for you. It's not age related it's your swing type and speed. Is more or less club head offset better or worse for your game. Grip size has a factor as well. Everyone is different. You just have to get the right fit to get it to all work together.       

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

4 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

I think a lot of people are influence by their buddies and cost of clubs when making a purchase.  I have a friend who has a closet full of clubs and when they do not perform like he want he looks for something else on sale.  Cannot count the number of putters he has.  My question to him was, when were you fitted for a set?  His response was, waste of money. 

Like asking which came first the chicken or the egg.  My recommendation for any level of player, who is struggling is to see a teaching pro and get the tweaks worked out and stop listening to friends.  There are a lot of arm chair golf instructors in this world and that is not a solution only a good way to loose a friend. 

Get your game to where you are enjoying it and then go see a fitter, not just a big box store fitter, a certified fitter who is trained thru a number of manufacturers.  I have two whom I trust and go to no one else in my area.  They will put you on Trackman and test numerous heads and shafts and compare the numbers. 

A good fitter will ask you to bring in your clubs to review what you are playing and to establish a base.  By continuing to listen to non qualified golfers for help and buying on sale off the rack or on eBay clubs you are spending more that a custom fitted set would cost.  I will be 75 in September, always go for fittings and still get advice and instruction from my instruction (PGA pro) at our course. 

I am recovering from back surgery in 2020, have arthritis in my lower back and hip issues and it is not as easy as it was.  I am working in getting my handicap back down to a ten which I can live with at my age.  My mid irons are not my friend right now and with the change over to Seth Raynor greens and bunkers on our course, I am adjusting with my putting and sand game. 

I do my best not to offer advise and not to seek it unless it is from my teacher.  Why?  Because he/they can pot the issues very quickly and give you methods for correcting them.  All of our games are different.  With respect.   

Hey ChuckZ -- I am on the other side of Charleston -- West Ashley...am 70 and play to a 10.  I am recovering from back surgery -- spinal fusion due to a tumor on my L4.  Anyway, I'll be back playing in August -- Stono Ferry -- and would love to talk with you regarding swing and club changes coming back from this surgery.  I have already gone to game improvement irons (Taylormade M4 -- 6-GW -- with hybrids for 3-5. (All R shafts.)  I have also installed more flexible shafts -- between R and S in my woods.  My swing speed was 87 with driver...not sure what it will be now.  It will be shorter and smoother, that is for sure.  The more flexible shafts were so I could swing smooth and minimize the back pain I thought was coming from the discs.  

Anyway, what was your experience in coming back from this surgery?  Have you changed your shafts?  BTW, do you get fitted by David Ayres?  

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

Here is my case: I'm 34, 6ft, 210lbs, pretty strong and I play regular shafts in my irons (KBS Tour 110), also with player's distance heads (I needed less offset and more height/stopping power). I'm a 9 handicap with 85mph 7i swing speed. Regular flex in the irons has been a game changer for me, higher launch, more spin, and most importantly, they slow me down, I don't feel like I have to oversewing on my takeaway, and something about them just smooths my tempo out. I was playing Modus 130 X flex before in a game improvement head. I was fit into both combos. With the regular flex KBS 110s, there is something about the way I react to them that works. I can keep my grip pressure light, my backswing short, and start the downswing really really smooth without a lot of effort and the result is a fast swing that doesn't give up any distance at all. My swing feels effortless and my ball striking is the best its ever been. The fitter targeted lighter shafts to reduce how much I was taking the clubs away on the inside, and we went lighter in flex after trying KBS 120 because the 120 felt like I was still working hard to get the shaft going instead of just swinging fast.  I'm more on plane now and I have much better ball first contact.

I have a guy in my weekly group who uses a 45g senior flex shaft in his driver, he carries the ball 260-280. He cannot hit my driver with a Ventus Blue 5-S to save his life (which is the "swing speed appropriate" flex and "handicap appropriate" head design for him). Lexi Thompson plays Project X 5.0 (soft-regular) shafts in her irons, she also plays a Ventus Blue 6-X driver shaft (106mph driver speed). Also, there are a pretty good amount of guys on tour playing stiff flex shafts who hit their PW further than a lot of club golfers hit their 7i. Odds are most of those club golfers use stiff flex iron shafts too. Some of the longest hitters in the game play TT DG X100's (which are pretty soft by x flex standards). It's chaos!

My 2 cents is, there is no "handicap appropriate" flex, nor is there a "handicap appropriate" category of clubs. There are definitely people who could play better if they were using equipment better suited to them, and for the most part, you're right, that means swallowing their ego and trying stuff or getting fit. A lot of people posting above hit the nail on the head when they say that posting the lowest score possible is not the #1 priority for a lot of golfers. Some guys would trade a few strokes each round to avoid a nickname like "Gramps" on the course. Some guys like blades and persimmon woods. Some guys would play bright pink ladies clubs if it would shave 1/2 a stroke each round. Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

While we are kicking around irons and shafts, has anyone here had any experience with Taylormade P790 or Sub70 699?  They seem to be similar -- foam injected, etc.  

3 hours ago, Padreruf said:

While we are kicking around irons and shafts, has anyone here had any experience with Taylormade P790 or Sub70 699?  They seem to be similar -- foam injected, etc.  

I play the Sub 70 699 Pro's. Do you have a specific question?

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

On 5/31/2021 at 1:46 PM, ZenGolfer said:

I dont believe that there is such a thing.  Im a 20 handicap, I play blade irons and I hit them just as well as I do any other kind of iron.  I also wouldnt agree to picking shaft flex based upon handicap.  You could be a 20 handicap but have a high swing speed or an aggressive transition, necessitating stiff shafts.

IMO, this whole, "ego vs reality" thing that often comes up with golf equipment is just people trying to convince themselves that a new club can fix their swing flaws.  Its just not the case.  If you want to play better, you need to look at the weak aspects of your game and work on turning your weaknesses into strengths.

I agree and disagree with you, here is my points:

Yes, a 36 handicapper would need stiff and even x-stiff shafts based on his swing.

Like I posted , my buddy played Balatas, which were high spin balls, a 36 handicapper using Pro-V1's, would aggravate their slice/hook

Game Improvement irons, can help down to a 10-12 handicap, this is the range where I think some forged short irons could be introduced along with a high spin ball.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I went from Taylormade M4's to Honma TW747v's (not blades but close) when I was about a 10 handicap and now i'm down to a 1-2. I was having issues with the glue on the clubs and had club heads flying off and Taylormade was being a pain about it so I figured it was time to upgrade anyway. I found them much harder to hit at first but once i got used to them, I was able to work the ball either direction. With the M4's, my problem was that there was so much offset. When i tried to hit a draw and caught the middle of the face it would turn into a hook 20 yards longer than my normal shot. With much less offset and a face that isn't as hot, I don't have that fear. The other would be the distance. I don't need a 4 iron that goes 235 yards that I can't stop on a green. The Honma's closed the distance gaps a bit and took away the fear of hitting it "too well" and having it explode off of the face with a ton of side spin

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

16 hours ago, Bubbly Pop said:

In my experience I would say better (amateur) players I know seem to care about what others see them playing.  Also, some have the attitude that playing more forgiving irons is almost paramount to cheating.  My thoughts, both ego and being self-conscious are simply hurdles for human beings to overcome in general.

Definitely. We have a pro golfer here in Quebec who recently made a vlog with some friends at Le Mirage golf club (rich private place) and in an off-the-cuff WITB, said "My friend here is poor so he's playing King Cobra". It was obviously a joke but at the same time reinforces the fact that some people care what brand they're playing with. There's definitely a stigma with "cheap" clubs and I think as amateurs it's important to get over that because yes, you're gonna get compliments with Miura blades in your bag but your handicap will suffer greatly.

I also play Sub 70 699 Pros, I love them!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

What is funny is I never met a player who said “I just hit the ball too straight”. I have had the same experience as above. Bought muscle backs when I was a 5. Added 5 strokes to the hcp. Went back to Ap1s with a good cavity back.  I want the ball to go about the same distance with a slight mishit not lose 20 yards. 
pros have to work the ball much more than the standard amateur because of course set up  

An interesting idea is finding a single “blade” iron to practice with and work on hitting the center of the club face.

take the ego out of it. Let the results speak. I would play with a pink plaid driver shaped bagel if I hit it 300 straight all the time. 

14 hours ago, MadMex said:

I agree and disagree with you, here is my points:

Yes, a 36 handicapper would need stiff and even x-stiff shafts based on his swing.

Like I posted , my buddy played Balatas, which were high spin balls, a 36 handicapper using Pro-V1's, would aggravate their slice/hook

Game Improvement irons, can help down to a 10-12 handicap, this is the range where I thik some forged short irons could be introduced along with a high spin ball.

I thought you were exaggerating when you said your Brother in law played Balata.  Does anyone make Balata anymore?  Why in the world would anyone play them if they did unless they are playing in a classic club league - that's a different matter from what you've brought up here.

Modern balls are smart, they spin, less off the driver and more off short irons - the 36 handicapper would almost certainly benefit from playing a tour type ball - Pro VI type.  It will spin less off the driver all the way down to his mid irons and give him more spin where he needs it.  The real question for him though will be value.  As a 36 he is probably incurring lots of penalty strokes along with the lost balls that come with them.  That being the case he may wish to forego the $40 a dozen price of a tour level ball.

It is certainly true that there is not an absolute rule in regards to handicap/age/equipment type but it's pretty clear that there are plenty of general rules that apply.  At some point father time kicks and and we are in need of changing our equipment to help adapt.  Generally that means a shift from steel to graphite, heavier to lighter, larger grips as helps with arthritis, and on and on it goes - Some handle the transition well, others refuse - you can only lead a horse to water, right?

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

There are two “feels” in golf.

One is how the club feels during the swing, and I’ll address this first.  

I have gone through 18 months trying different shafts in my JPX919 Hot Metal Pros. I have never hit an iron more poorly in my life (overall) than these clubs. But they were by far the most forgiving and hottest hitting irons I’d played up to that point. I played MP series irons for years and expected to see distance advantages and forgiveness. However, these were on lighter shafts. I tried several different ones XP95, Nippon NS750 Wrap Tech, some 115 g shafts, SteelFiber i95 and Project X Graphite some in stiff and some in regular flex and some in both.  I have simply never hit them well. I recently changed to Ping i500 DG S300 120 g and have drastically improved my ball striking. Weight trumps Flex, apparently. While they may  “feel” heavier and slower, I strike the center of the club face and hit them further, higher, and straighter. They are simply better weights of shaft for me even if I should probably play a regular flex. Based on the occasional good shot with the 919’s the problem was my delivery not the heads. This was totally brought on by having shafts that did not fit my swing. I seriously doubt the Ping i500 is that much more forgiving than the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro.

The other feel.

The other feel is how you feel about your club and the shot you are about to make. When I walk around to the bag and see blades I “feel” like a “playa”, and I just know I am going to hit a good shot. At least on the short iron. But I can also “feel” like I need more help. Standing on the 18th fairway and having to hit a mid to long iron to the island green, I just know I’m not going to hit a good shot with a blade. The i500’s are be best of both worlds but probably not on a different shaft. They make we feel like a “playa” looking at them, and they make me feel like I have plenty of forgiveness if I need it, and often do need the help. Just as the Ping fairway woods vs any hybrid make me feel like I can swing hard and not fear going hard left.

So Ego vs Reality.

I had decided after playing in Florida last month, that I needed higher hitting clubs. First off, I played the best round since before my knee injury and subsequent surgery and recovery. I had just bought a Ping G425Max driver and hit it high and straight. My misses with my other clubs tended to be straight but low. I was going to have a bag full of hybrids if that’s what it took. I scheduled my fitting the intention of going with the Ping G425Max 4-7 Hybrids and 3 and 5 Fairway woods if that’s what it took. Ultimately, I ended up with Fairway Metals rather than hybrids. I also saved some money and bought some used Ping G410 3 and 5 woods. I like the turbulators on these, it makes them look bigger and more forgiving. They also look more closed than I like, but I can get over that when I see them fly high and straight and long with a hop and stop at the end.

• Like 2

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 5S

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I’m a 17 handicap, I used to be single digit but injuries, some lack of mobility and not being able to play for about 16 months after injury and surgery has caused my game to suffer.

I have played blades and MB irons and I can still hit them well most of the time...but there are 3-5 shots a round that are real CLUNKERS...no distance, bad direction....most if not all of those shots would not be anywhere near as bad with GI or SGI irons and 5 errant iron shots can cause 10 or more strokes to your score if you add a few penalty strokes.

Does a perfectly struck 7 iron with a blade go further and more accurate than the 7 iron hit well with the GI irons....yes...but a slight miss hit on the GI irons doesn’t yield anywhere near as bad a result as the same shot with blades and the bad misses with the GI irons are MUCH less punishing than the same s*** with the blades.

the other issue is shaft flex...I’m not nearly as long as I was 3 years ago because of the injuries..but I still play stiff shafts because my transition with regular flex shafts seem to cause dispersion issues....at least that’s how the fitter explained it.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 6/2/2021 at 8:25 AM, revkev said:

I thought you were exaggerating when you said your Brother in law played Balata.  Does anyone make Balata anymore?  Why in the world would anyone play them if they did unless they are playing in a classic club league - that's a different matter from what you've brought up here.

Modern balls are smart, they spin, less off the driver and more off short irons - the 36 handicapper would almost certainly benefit from playing a tour type ball - Pro VI type.  It will spin less off the driver all the way down to his mid irons and give him more spin where he needs it.  The real question for him though will be value.  As a 36 he is probably incurring lots of penalty strokes along with the lost balls that come with them.  That being the case he may wish to forego the $40 a dozen price of a tour level ball.

It is certainly true that there is not an absolute rule in regards to handicap/age/equipment type but it's pretty clear that there are plenty of general rules that apply.  At some point father time kicks and and we are in need of changing our equipment to help adapt.  Generally that means a shift from steel to graphite, heavier to lighter, larger grips as helps with arthritis, and on and on it goes - Some handle the transition well, others refuse - you can only lead a horse to water, right?

No, I said my USAF buddy did in the 80’s, my sister-in-law’s husband plays PRO-V1’s, he struggles to break 100 because of his slice which is aggravated by the Pro-V1, he shot low 90’s about 5 times with no problems using a low spin 2 piece ball, but went back to the Pro-V1 because he lost distance and “feel”, 100’s came right back

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

11 minutes ago, MadMex said:

No, I said my USAF buddy did in the 80’s, my sister-in-law’s husband plays PRO-V1’s, he struggles to break 100 because of his slice which is aggravated by the Pro-V1, he shot low 90’s about 5 times with no problems using a low spin 2 piece ball, but went back to the Pro-V1 because he lost distance and “feel”, 100’s came right back

I'm sorry to say but in any test that I have ever seen the difference in spin rate between a two piece ball and a tour model ball is in the 200 RPM range - hardly enough to be much of a difference maker - Of course it's always possible that an individual user might do something with his swing when staring down at a brand new Pro VI or Pro V1x - that I can't account for. 🙂

• Like 1

EVNRoll ER 5

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

I'm sorry to say but in any test that I have ever seen the difference in spin rate between a two piece ball and a tour model ball is in the 200 RPM range - hardly enough to be much of a difference maker - Of course it's always possible that an individual user might do something with his swing when staring down at a brand new Pro VI or Pro V1x - that I can't account for. 🙂

... Rev there is much more difference that that just comparing tour balls and I imagine a 2 piece with a surlyn cover would have an even greater difference. In TGW's 2021 tour golf ball test:

Driver spin highest/lowest:

ProV1 ... 2482
Z Star XV ... 1978

7 iron highest/lowest:

Mizuno RB Tour X ... 5565
TP5x ... 4429

Wedges highest/lowest:

TP5 ... 7356
Z Star XV ... 6382

https://www.tgw.com/golf-guide/best-tour-golf-balls/

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

On 6/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I play the Sub 70 699 Pro's. Do you have a specific question?

What is the quality of this club vis a vis Titleist, Taylormade, etc.?  How hard was it to get the right fit?  

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Rev there is much more difference that that just comparing tour balls and I imagine a 2 piece with a surlyn cover would have an even greater difference. In TGW's 2021 tour golf ball test:

Driver spin highest/lowest:

ProV1 ... 2482
Z Star XV ... 1978

7 iron highest/lowest:

Mizuno RB Tour X ... 5565
TP5x ... 4429

Wedges highest/lowest:

TP5 ... 7356
Z Star XV ... 6382

https://www.tgw.com/golf-guide/best-tour-golf-balls/

Not denying the difference with irons and wedges - it’s driver - the most recent site that I looked at most recently was PXGs and on average the spin rate difference off driver between a two piece and tour ball was 200 rpms. 

Again though that’s with a robot - can an individual player create a larger discrepancy?  Absolutely!  Could it get to where it matters? I think it’s possible.

But generally speaking it’s not going to with driver so that’s the point I’m trying to make. Generally speaking there will not be a significant enough difference between a Pro VI’s spin rate off driver and That of a two piece ball to matter. 

• Like 1

EVNRoll ER 5

On 6/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, revkev said:

If you saw this man's practice swing vs at ball swing, you would walk away scratching your head.

Practice swing: very smooth backswing, nice shoulder turn, hint of stopping at top and very smooth transition down and through...

Actual swing: Almost upright all arm backswing, starts aggressive downswing before his shoulders finish backswing , stops swing about waist high.

Oh, and his ball position on his stand is always a mystery were it will be. 

but in a positive note, his putting, one look, line up, in the hole, you would want him on a scramble just for his putting

• Like 1