TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bonded Hosel VS Adjustable, Whats the Difference?

I get this question a lot. It seems like 100 years ago when EVERYTHING was bonded. As the game has changed and with the introduction of the Opti-fit adjustable fitting system, our TOUR reps can dial in a player faster and with more precision than ever before.

However, bonded hosels are still something used by Callaway at Retail and with our players on TOUR. Actually, MOST of the heads we get on TOUR are bonded. The Callaway Tour Truck has a proprietary air compression bending machine that utilizes unique molds for fairways and hybrids to adjust loft and lie. It’s actually pretty old school VS what the norm might look like. I’d compare the practice to spinning the dial on a house phone rather than telling Suri to call Dominos. Make sense? 

CF74F656-1B18-4EA1-B088-C7827594B923-102 5CD8C788-43DB-4E35-888A-134D584C6B7C-sca

As a TOUR-only component, we still offer adjustable fairway woods for our staff when needed. Why? For a few of our staffers (and non) it’s typically to combat a left miss. 

Adjustable hosels by nature have more weight out towards the shaft which could encourage a hair more right to left bias. “I just don’t want it to go left” is a common quote on TOUR but it’s not the battle cry of all the players. Some TOUR players like to see a bit of the face at address and with a 3-wood they want something they can easily turn over…especially for #10 and #13 at Augusta:) Take Sam Burns, for example, he primarily fades everything with the driver but in the 4-wood he not only has a bit more loft but also has more weight VIA the adjustable hosel to have one club in his bag he can draw on command. Do you see how every club has a job?

Bonded Hosel: 

image-1024x768.jpg Epic Speed 💎💎💎 3+

Benefits: Fade biased with less weight towards the heel, ability to bend VERY flat or upright (past what the adjustable will offer), more head stability (traditionally), cleaner look at address, weight distribution flexibility with the bonded hosel saving 5+ grams of discretionary weight.

Adjustable: 

image-1-scaled-e1622480171834-1024x768.j Mavrik SZ w/ Tour Only adjustable hosel

Benefits: Easier to turn over, quick to adjust on the fly, younger players who grew up playing with an adjustable hosel are used to the CG placement and look.

3BF218F7-3CFB-4EE7-BC4C-9277C49B3B7E-sca Xander Schauffele (Bonded) F06AC327-0A7C-44C6-A729-7A4C5235C94A-102 Sam Burns (ADJ)

So why does Callaway offer only bonded at retail? Easy. Performance. The bonded hosel allows us to use the weight in other places in the head to increase MOI, Speed, Spin up or down, etc. We combat the lack of adjustability by offering more loft options (3+/14, 3/15, 4/16.5, 5/18, 7/21, 9/23, 11/25) than any other OEM. It’s a buffet of options to satisfy anyone from our Tour players to you and me. 

JDub

Gear junky degenerate.

Great insight and knowledge .. thanks 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Titleist has same lofts with an adjustable hosel. 

I like the idea of bonded hosel, but your van is above us, so without the option adjustability, I wouldn’t even consider. To me, it looks like you all are price cutting and looking for manufacturing efficiencies.  

Thanks for sharing. It’s fun to look at

This is an effort to make it where you would have to go to an expensive store ,shop ,etc to get fitted rather than make the adjustments yourself .. IT'S A SCHEME to run the cost of golf up ! The average golfer can tinker with the adjustable club to his liking without the expensive work by a club fitter .  KEEP THE ADJUSTABLE HEAD!!!!!

Wishon has fairway woods that can be bent for lie and loft. It seems that would be an easy thing to design for any OEM. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS