Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Stretching has been a substantial improvement on my overall health, game and wellbeing. I stretch every night and perform additional stretches the day before a round. Stretching has helped with stiff joints and pain, but the biggest improvement has been the substantial amount of weight I loss. But for the days that I cannot outstretch joint stiffness, I find that CBD works well. It was my father that introduced me to CBD after he started taking it for joint pain developed after beating cancer.  

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

Stretching is important. Daily exercise. Turmeric is very successful for general aches and pains as well as utilization for arthritis relief medications. CBD gum is also not a bad option. Volt stem gel for a topical cream for relief. Big fan of yoga even a beginners class for flexibility and stability. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

20 hours ago, harmonjefferson79 said:

I am getting old. There is no question about that. I was wondering if any of you take anything...ie supplements. For pain? For joint support? For energy/focus? Any topical rubs? Any protein/super greens shakes? Any other things that you feel help your game? 

Thanks in advance!

I will echo the above comments.  I've tried to start a physical fitness regimen, jogging, lifting light weights etc. (without success really).  I am 54 never had any substantial injuries to speak of, but just general back strains, some arthritis in my back etc., things that come with getting older.

About 4 months ago I began to take 10-15 minutes in the morning to stretch hopefully 4 times a week or more.  It has made a world of difference in how I feel in general, and after playing a round.  I also take an Aleve before I go and play, seems to help with the aches, when I'm done.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Two things have greatly helped me.  I'm 63.

First, regular stretching.  I stretch each morning for about 10 minutes, the first part of the routine is while still in the bed.   I have golf specific stretches that I do before each round or practice session.  And I do half hour yoga sessions at night, two to three times a week.  It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty easy to build into my day.  

Second, I have adopted an eating plan that emphasizes  gut health--eliminating or cutting down on most foods that cause inflammation.  I used to have chronic sore joints, especially my hands, knees and lower back.  Moving to eating meals heavy in vegetables, fermented foods and healthy fats (olive oil) and low in simple carbs and sugar has really helped with inflammation and joint soreness.  I eat very few highly processed foods.      

Literally just posted about this on the injury thread. 99% of amateur golfers would see significant and most substantial improvement to their games by incorporating regular yoga. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Yoga can do wonders and prior to playing or any muscle strain you can do dynamic stretching.  You can google these.  Starting out less is more.   Also believe in ibuprofen - but can cause stomach issues.           

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

On 6/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, ColoradoFife said:

Stretching has been a substantial improvement on my overall health, game and wellbeing. I stretch every night and perform additional stretches the day before a round. Stretching has helped with stiff joints and pain, but the biggest improvement has been the substantial amount of weight I loss. But for the days that I cannot outstretch joint stiffness, I find that CBD works well. It was my father that introduced me to CBD after he started taking it for joint pain developed after beating cancer.  

Good advice!   I love exercise and I take CBD daily.  It definitely helps my post round soreness.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 6/1/2021 at 2:41 PM, ColoradoFife said:

I am the same boat here. Stretch, lost some weight. At 51 and abusing my body aches and pains are part of life. I bought some VooDoo pain relief that Hank Haney peddles. It works for me and I like it.  CBD has an odd smell to me but it works as well, I prefer the VooDoo. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Depends on what joint.  At 74 most joints hurt most of the time.  Knee replaced.  Changed my swing to be less stressful on lower back.  Currently, the most pain is in my hands and wrists.  

Stretching is always helpful just to wake up the muscles I have left.  CBD cream and VooDoo on the hands and wrists is needed sometimes, but I don't like the feel after they are rubbed in, so I have to wash them off before playing.  I always take 2 generic naproxen when arrive at the course; seems to make the round play easier and have less pain after the round.  It replaced the hydrocodone I used before knee replacement.  

When arthritis sets in, there is not much good that can be done.  The joint pain becomes a part of the golfing life.  I've gotten used to it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Like most have stated, stretching will help a lot. Below is a link of some examples that I do.

https://www.healthline.com/health/tight-hips#stretches

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I take Glucosamine Sulphate 1500mg a day and I do feel a difference, it is not like night and day but I feel they help.

I also have a massage gun that I use on my lower back, which is where I have the most tightness and anywhere else that is tight or giving me problems.

But like most people say stretching to try and keep the muscle supple and getting use to it. They say 60 is the new 40, mentally that maybe the case but my body begs to differ.

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

On 6/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, JDHolmes said:

Prednisone. Magic! 

yep except for it makes me crazy, my mouth filter goes away and it works way quicker than my brain.  When I lived in Houston for a bunch of years I had horrible asthma and took a bunch of prednisone at different times.  There were several unpleasant experiences and outbursts.  Luckily my family understood and I worked hard at keeping my mouth shut.  So now I do my best to stay away from the stuff.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

On 6/3/2021 at 8:58 AM, alfriday101 said:

Two things have greatly helped me.  I'm 63.

First, regular stretching.  I stretch each morning for about 10 minutes, the first part of the routine is while still in the bed.   I have golf specific stretches that I do before each round or practice session.  And I do half hour yoga sessions at night, two to three times a week.  It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty easy to build into my day.  

Second, I have adopted an eating plan that emphasizes  gut health--eliminating or cutting down on most foods that cause inflammation.  I used to have chronic sore joints, especially my hands, knees and lower back.  Moving to eating meals heavy in vegetables, fermented foods and healthy fats (olive oil) and low in simple carbs and sugar has really helped with inflammation and joint soreness.  I eat very few highly processed foods.      

^ This.  Yoga, stretching and diet are key to your overall health and flexibility.  I'm 59 and completely changed my diet about five years ago.  I don't eat sugar, eggs, dairy, fish, minimal meat (sometimes you have no choice) and zero processed foods.  Plants only (70/20/10 Carbs/Protein/Fat).  I know that sounds extreme (and goes against the incredibly extreme no carbs diets) but I went from only being able to play a maximum of every couple of days (because of joint pain and soreness) to being able to play every day if I choose.  I credit almost all of that to a change in diet.  There have been other benefits like regulating my blood pressure and cholesterol and reducing the plaque in my arteries by eighty percent.  I'm no longer medications (BP, cholesterol, allergy) which had some significant side affects that were not so wonderful.  I also dropped forty pounds and regulated my weight.  On the negative side, I'm dealing with some foot pain and golfer's elbow which is more an issue with practicing and playing significantly more golf (which is a good thing), but I've got a handle on those things.  As you get older you have to make some hard choices about your health.  If you don't, you will be watching your buddies heading to the course while you are dealing with health issues.  I see it everyday.  I'm choosing not to be a victim of my own poor choices in the past.

I'm starting now to add in some stretching and other light aerobic exercise (other than walking the course), but diet and stretching is key.  I don't think we have any idea what the crap food we eat actually does to our body long term.  The easy answer it to take a fistful of pills but it all catches up to you as we get older.  Also, someone else mentioned that things like taking Aleve before a round helps.  It most definitely does, but it can also ruin your gut health/biome so best to try your hardest to avoid those things.  Scientists are now saying your gut is your second brain.  There may be some truth to that.

• 6 months later...

I recently switched from steel to composite iron shafts... shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand pains gone.  While all the above suggested remedies are good, you might also consider equipment changes if you haven't already done so. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Advil and bourbon 

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
On 12/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I recently switched from steel to composite iron shafts... shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand pains gone.  While all the above suggested remedies are good, you might also consider equipment changes if you haven't already done so. 

I second this recommendation.  I switched from steel to steelfiber shafts in my irons.  It has helped tremendously with elbow pain.  Less shock from hitting the mat.  Less vibration on missed hits.  It was night and day for me.  I also take 2 advil before and after practice as well as rounds.   Icing has always helped me.  When I ice for 30 minutes after practice/round, I don't have pain next day.  If I don't, I feel it in my elbow the next day.

Stay healthy.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro
  • 4 months later...

Icing helps a lot, sometimes if you don't do it, you'll just have to skip the practice for the next day because of the pain. The problem is that it's hard to perform it at home, because you need a lot of ice all the time, which is at least expensive to buy all the time, additional costs. There is a better option, it's called chiropractic https://adriameduae.com/, some people probably know about it, it's a very effective method and it's much cheaper than buying tons of ice per month.

Edited by JessicaBaker
48 minutes ago, JessicaBaker said:

Icing helps a lot, sometimes if you don't do it, you'll just have to skip the practice for the next day because of the pain.

Takes a lot of ice to fill a bathtub.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, in the modern world, joint diseases have become much younger. Problems with the musculoskeletal system occur even in very young people. This is due to lifestyle, excessive exertion (and lack of proper physical activity), the use of a magnetic food, poor-quality water, constant stress, negative emotions, as well as poor ecology. Joint diseases often worsen during the cold season, due to hypothermia. Ayurveda has a clear explanation for this. You can learn more about the treatment with https://www.alveda.life/.

Edited by urickad
  • 1 month later...

I am subscribing to the Walter Payton pain management theory. He did not like taking drugs for his pain during his playing days, so he would train his mind to block out the pain, and trained his body to live with it. I currently have osteoarthritis in all my joints. I am a local truck driver, in and out of the truck all day, climbing on ladders to docks, climbing up in the trailer, and some days I wake up I feel like 90, currently 65. I get my mind in order for the day, and some days are more difficult than others, but I don't want to start on anti-inflammatories, as it will get to easy to have them as a crutch. Going to wait as long as I can do it this way. My doctor does not hold much hope for this, but I have been doing this for quite a few years, as like maybe the last 20. I don't ache after a round, even the next day I feel pretty good, with minor stiffness, especially in my hands. Good luck to you...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c