Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

No love for the Cleveland Launcher Halo?

Grit Golf

I just put a 5 wood back in the bag (in place of a 3 hybrid) to solve a gapping issue, and realized pretty quick on the course that the incoming 5 wood isn't a big fan of deep rough compared to the hybrid it replaced. I started looking specifically for a 4 hybrid to gap between my 24* 5 iron and the 19* 5 wood, with a high priority on using it from the rough and I stumbled across the Halo Launcher from a few years ago, I was going to grab one on eBay to mess around with and then noticed that they are still for sale NEW for $150 w tax and shipping. It might be the easiest hybrid I have ever hit, and I'm seeing incredible carry consistency. At $150 all-in, it's a crazy bargain:

1887720100_ScreenShot2021-06-01at1_37_23PM.png.df1abf7f746ef84b67b4a1cb6eb60f31.png

I need to spend more time with it on the course, but I noticed there isn't a ton of love for this club except for some youtubers in the UK. There aren't a lot of reviews or published tests either, which is a bit unusual for something this modern from one of the bigger names. Anyone else try this thing out? I think it has a possibility of being a real secret weapon for me in my weekly group.

Edited by Grit Golf

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• Grit Golf changed the title to No love for the Cleveland Launcher Halo?
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going on record saying this is the absolute best hybrid I have ever hit. I have the 4 hybrid with the stock Miyazaki C Kua 60 S. My previous hybrid was the Ping G410 with a KBS TGI 95g shaft. On specs alone, I never would have thought this thing would work, but it is by far the easiest hybrid I have ever hit. I am throwing the ball straight down my target line every time with a 7yd front to back carry dispersion. I can't hit this thing bad, I really just can't. From the stock grip to the stock shaft, to the impact, it is smooooooth.

I have a 97mph swing speed with driver, 85mph with 6i. I fight a hook with driver and woods, baby draw my irons, but was fading my Ping G410 hybrid. This is to say, its a bit more draw biased for me than the ping w a heavy shaft, but it fits my natural shot shape, and it draws less than my 5 iron. It's in no way a draw/hook machine (for me).

If you want to take a shot in the dark on a hybrid, the price is insane on these right now. I just replaced my Ping 3 hybrid with a 5 wood, I'm about to order the Halo in 3 hybrid to replace the new-to-me 5 wood.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

On 6/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Grit Golf said:

At $150 all-in, it's a crazy bargain:

I recently changed my old NICKENT yes NICKENT hybrid (2 week ago), I was looking for an hybrid around 21-22 degree, price was an issue for me, was looking around the 150$ range or so, Halo was one of the contender, was a little high priced at that moment and they ended up not having a regular shaft left handed one so ended up with a taylormade m4, couldn't test the club so it was basically a blind eye purchase. Went with the taylormade because of the resale value only. Much easier to resale a Taylormade club to a guy that don't know anything about golf. Cleveland is like unknow by half the new player out there. If tiger don't play it, it's no good! If I can't hit the m4 well enough will give the halo a shot for sure out there, will lose like 20$ on the hybrid if I resale it anyway.

I don't know if $150 for a new hybrid is that crazy of a bargain. $150ish used to be the going rate for new hybrids on sale pre-pandemic. Plus, you can get a new Maltby hybrid built and delivered for under $85. I'm sure the Cleveland is a good club but I wouldn't jump out of a moving car to pick it up for $150. I'm looking forward to some of the supply chain issues getting worked out over the next year so we can get back to some form of normalcy in the golf market. I don't think prices will come back to where they were but I think we will probably see the return of normal sales on new equipment. 

When you compare to a brand new hybrid which is around 250$, it's a good price for sure, but yes hybrid used to be on sale quickly because they aren't played as much as they should be. And since the tech doesn't seems to improve much over the year and people don't tend to use them often either, lots of us seek lower price deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see that club at 100$ at the end of the year...

Everyone has their own sense of value I suppose, I’m just comparing $139 for the launcher halo now to what I saw at my pro shop ($279) 6 months ago. Half off seems like a good deal, even if the original price has creeped from years past.

The sub 70 hybrid is $129, a new Ping G410 (last years mode) is $219, used 2018 Callaway Rogue’s cost $110 on eBay. The used price on the halo launcher on eBay is $110 + shipping from the big boys (pro clubs, 2nd swing).

They aren’t giving them away, but in my mind this thing is both a great value (right now) and a great club. I really like it and just ordered the 3h.

Your mileage may vary!