TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fix Your Chipping Yips With This One & Only

I have the chipping chips. I may have fixed them. I've only played one round with it but got within holeing distance, 6' or less, on my three chips. What is it? An arm lock Chipping wedge. I took an old 50 degree Vokey out of the garage to Golf Galaxy and had them extend the shaft to 39.5"s(I'm 5'7), mount a Winn 15" counter balance putting grip, and bend the head to an almost total upright lie angle. I think they bent it 8-10 degrees at least. It cost me about $29. See the attached picture. I hope it loaded correctly.

I have tried everything to fix my 15 year chipping yips and everything has failed. Using the Claw can work but it's no good past about 5-10 yards off the green. I had two yip issues. One was a sudden jerky forward thrust of the club combined with moving my head and eyes off the ball. This usually resulted in an ugly skull across the green. I'm sure many of you can identify with that. Secondly, I would often collapse my left wrist. Lots of T.C. Chen moves with that!

So here we are with the arm lock chipper. I had been using this technique for the last ten rounds with my modified Odyssey Two Ball putter with really good results. Horschel is right. They should ban the things. If you haven't tried it you should. It's uncomfortable, particularly on the short ones, but the ball usually goes where you are aiming. So I thought, if it works with my Claw putting, why not my chipping. The arm lock technique is much more comfortable with chipping than putting.

Try it out if you have the chipping yips. It might work for you.

Arm-Lock Chipper.jpg

10 hours ago, jborchel said:

I forgot to ask in the first post. Is there any reason this might not meet the rules? 

If the grip has a flat side, it makes the wedge non-conforming. Also, a lie of greater than 80 degrees is verboten as well.

Edited by Dokex

I couldn’t take another club out of the bag just for this one even if it were legal. Same for my Dad’s favorite club, the dual sided “chipper”. Hey, whatever works!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I think this is a great idea!  I don't have the chipping yips but I might one day and this technique looks like a winner.  Update this thread after a couple of months and let us know how it's going for you.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Although its not quite as severe as the OPs new club, you can essentially use a putting stroke to chip, which removes a lot of the moving parts from a more traditional chipping motion.  Of course, it doesn't help much if you also suffer from the putting yips.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, Dokex said:

If the grip has a flat side, it makes the wedge non-conforming. Also, a lie of greater than 80 degrees is verboten as well.

Ouch! The Winn grip definitely has one flat side as it is a putter grip. Are there extended length grips that are completely round? A conventional grip will have you gripping on the shaft I think. Do you have a document reference for that rule?

I will measure the lie angle to see if it exceeds 80 degrees. I assume that is the angle going down the shaft and across the bottom of the club? Or is it center of shaft with score line? I expect it to be close. 

5 hours ago, PMookie said:

I couldn’t take another club out of the bag just for this one even if it were legal. Same for my Dad’s favorite club, the dual sided “chipper”. Hey, whatever works!

I took out the 5 wood. Hitting a soft 13 degree 3 wood is tough but not as hard as dealing with the Chipping yips.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Although its not quite as severe as the OPs new club, you can essentially use a putting stroke to chip, which removes a lot of the moving parts from a more traditional chipping motion.  Of course, it doesn't help much if you also suffer from the putting yips.

That could work if I could fix my subconscious. I think the only real solution is to be hypnotized.

12 minutes ago, jborchel said:

Ouch! The Winn grip definitely has one flat side as it is a putter grip. Are there extended length grips that are completely round? A conventional grip will have you gripping on the shaft I think. Do you have a document reference for that rule?

I will measure the lie angle to see if it exceeds 80 degrees. I assume that is the angle going down the shaft and across the bottom of the club? Or is it center of shaft with score line? I expect it to be close. 

I found the lie angle measuring technique: https://www.hirekogolf.com/how-is-the-lie-of-a-golf-club-measured

20 minutes ago, jborchel said:

Equipment rules are here:  https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Dang.....Just 100 pages!  Only a few more than my tax return the accountant sent back this year and said I should read and understand before signing.  🤪

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 minute ago, Shapotomous said:

Dang.....Just 100 pages!  Only a few more than my tax return the accountant sent back this year and said I should read and understand before signing.  🤪

There is a table of contents that can get you to the right pages. 😂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My angle is legal. 73 degrees. Looking for round extended length putter grips now. Or is there a limit to how thick it can be? Also, I think most extended grips will be putter grips, and finding one that doesn't have a flat side may be tough.

31 minutes ago, jborchel said:

My angle is legal. 73 degrees. Looking for round extended length putter grips now. Or is there a limit to how thick it can be? Also, I think most extended grips will be putter grips, and finding one that doesn't have a flat side may be tough.

Not that tough, really

http://www.winngrips.com/products/putter-grips/long-long-2/

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 6/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, DaveP043 said:

I called Winn. They don't make that grip anymore. They do still offer the two piece long putter grip. I can use the lower part to confirm to the non-fat side rule for irons. I plan to use the illegal one in my weekly Men's club event to see if it will work going on.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 6/7/2021 at 4:30 AM, ole gray said:

I have modified the Top-Flite version of the club you linked. It can be seen in the group of clubs in the background of the picture. Originally I tried converting the Top-Flite Chipper and the 50 degree Vokey to long putter style. They didn't work because the longer chips required too long of a backswing and that was too hard to control for solid contact. So after having tried Arm-Lock putting successfully I thought it might work for chipping. The problem with the TF chipper in Arm-Lock mode was that the flight was too low so it was useless from a little ways off the green. The 50 degree Vokey seems just right as it can be used from most chipping and short pitch distances just be adjusting the ball position and the length of the backswing. 

I'm playing my second round with it tomorrow so we'll see if it continues to be good. It's interesting that the Claw is extremely helpful for the putting yips but not from any significant distance on chips. If someone could come up with something similar to the Claw but allowing for a longer backswing, that might be the best solution for the chipping yips.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, DaveP043 said:

also a good way to turn your chipping yips into putting yips. in that case, swing them all like your driver.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Chipping yips for me means im not having my weight forward.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

• 6 months later...