Fix Your Chipping Yips With This One & Only

I have the chipping chips. I may have fixed them. I've only played one round with it but got within holeing distance, 6' or less, on my three chips. What is it? An arm lock Chipping wedge. I took an old 50 degree Vokey out of the garage to Golf Galaxy and had them extend the shaft to 39.5"s(I'm 5'7), mount a Winn 15" counter balance putting grip, and bend the head to an almost total upright lie angle. I think they bent it 8-10 degrees at least. It cost me about $29. See the attached picture. I hope it loaded correctly.

I have tried everything to fix my 15 year chipping yips and everything has failed. Using the Claw can work but it's no good past about 5-10 yards off the green. I had two yip issues. One was a sudden jerky forward thrust of the club combined with moving my head and eyes off the ball. This usually resulted in an ugly skull across the green. I'm sure many of you can identify with that. Secondly, I would often collapse my left wrist. Lots of T.C. Chen moves with that!

So here we are with the arm lock chipper. I had been using this technique for the last ten rounds with my modified Odyssey Two Ball putter with really good results. Horschel is right. They should ban the things. If you haven't tried it you should. It's uncomfortable, particularly on the short ones, but the ball usually goes where you are aiming. So I thought, if it works with my Claw putting, why not my chipping. The arm lock technique is much more comfortable with chipping than putting.

Try it out if you have the chipping yips. It might work for you.

Arm-Lock Chipper.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, jborchel said:

I forgot to ask in the first post. Is there any reason this might not meet the rules? 

If the grip has a flat side, it makes the wedge non-conforming. Also, a lie of greater than 80 degrees is verboten as well.

Edited by Dokex
  • Like 1

I couldn’t take another club out of the bag just for this one even if it were legal. Same for my Dad’s favorite club, the dual sided “chipper”. Hey, whatever works!

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

I think this is a great idea!  I don't have the chipping yips but I might one day and this technique looks like a winner.  Update this thread after a couple of months and let us know how it's going for you.

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Although its not quite as severe as the OPs new club, you can essentially use a putting stroke to chip, which removes a lot of the moving parts from a more traditional chipping motion.  Of course, it doesn't help much if you also suffer from the putting yips.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

One old drill was to use alignment rods or an old shaft to extend the club.  It has the advantage of being able to hit a few shots with the aid and then dropping it and hitting one with just the club to compare the feel.    

6 hours ago, Dokex said:

If the grip has a flat side, it makes the wedge non-conforming. Also, a lie of greater than 80 degrees is verboten as well.

Ouch! The Winn grip definitely has one flat side as it is a putter grip. Are there extended length grips that are completely round? A conventional grip will have you gripping on the shaft I think. Do you have a document reference for that rule?

I will measure the lie angle to see if it exceeds 80 degrees. I assume that is the angle going down the shaft and across the bottom of the club? Or is it center of shaft with score line? I expect it to be close. 

5 hours ago, PMookie said:

I couldn’t take another club out of the bag just for this one even if it were legal. Same for my Dad’s favorite club, the dual sided “chipper”. Hey, whatever works!

I took out the 5 wood. Hitting a soft 13 degree 3 wood is tough but not as hard as dealing with the Chipping yips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Although its not quite as severe as the OPs new club, you can essentially use a putting stroke to chip, which removes a lot of the moving parts from a more traditional chipping motion.  Of course, it doesn't help much if you also suffer from the putting yips.

That could work if I could fix my subconscious. I think the only real solution is to be hypnotized.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jborchel said:

Ouch! The Winn grip definitely has one flat side as it is a putter grip. Are there extended length grips that are completely round? A conventional grip will have you gripping on the shaft I think. Do you have a document reference for that rule?

I will measure the lie angle to see if it exceeds 80 degrees. I assume that is the angle going down the shaft and across the bottom of the club? Or is it center of shaft with score line? I expect it to be close. 

I found the lie angle measuring technique: https://www.hirekogolf.com/how-is-the-lie-of-a-golf-club-measured

20 minutes ago, jborchel said:

Equipment rules are here:  https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Dang.....Just 100 pages!  Only a few more than my tax return the accountant sent back this year and said I should read and understand before signing.  🤪

• Haha 2

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 minute ago, Shapotomous said:

Dang.....Just 100 pages!  Only a few more than my tax return the accountant sent back this year and said I should read and understand before signing.  🤪

There is a table of contents that can get you to the right pages. 😂

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My angle is legal. 73 degrees. Looking for round extended length putter grips now. Or is there a limit to how thick it can be? Also, I think most extended grips will be putter grips, and finding one that doesn't have a flat side may be tough.

31 minutes ago, jborchel said:

My angle is legal. 73 degrees. Looking for round extended length putter grips now. Or is there a limit to how thick it can be? Also, I think most extended grips will be putter grips, and finding one that doesn't have a flat side may be tough.

Not that tough, really

http://www.winngrips.com/products/putter-grips/long-long-2/

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 6/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, DaveP043 said:

I called Winn. They don't make that grip anymore. They do still offer the two piece long putter grip. I can use the lower part to confirm to the non-fat side rule for irons. I plan to use the illegal one in my weekly Men's club event to see if it will work going on.

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

On 6/7/2021 at 4:30 AM, ole gray said:

I have modified the Top-Flite version of the club you linked. It can be seen in the group of clubs in the background of the picture. Originally I tried converting the Top-Flite Chipper and the 50 degree Vokey to long putter style. They didn't work because the longer chips required too long of a backswing and that was too hard to control for solid contact. So after having tried Arm-Lock putting successfully I thought it might work for chipping. The problem with the TF chipper in Arm-Lock mode was that the flight was too low so it was useless from a little ways off the green. The 50 degree Vokey seems just right as it can be used from most chipping and short pitch distances just be adjusting the ball position and the length of the backswing. 

I'm playing my second round with it tomorrow so we'll see if it continues to be good. It's interesting that the Claw is extremely helpful for the putting yips but not from any significant distance on chips. If someone could come up with something similar to the Claw but allowing for a longer backswing, that might be the best solution for the chipping yips.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, DaveP043 said:

also a good way to turn your chipping yips into putting yips. in that case, swing them all like your driver.

Titleist Blind Tester

• Driver: :ping-small: K15
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 7S, F8 7W  AD DI 8S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"