Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MX-17 Irons?

TheOther1

Hi everyone!

Totally new golfer and new to mygolfspy.  I have actually only played 9 holes to date.  I have a used set of Nitro XLTs and am looking for something a little (or a lot) better.  I feel the Nitros are crap and do not allow me to shoot as well as I could with better clubs.  And yes, I am taking lessons.  My instructor agrees Nitros are crap, but did not say run out and spend $2,500 on a new set of clubs.

I found a set of Mizuno MX17 Irons, 3 - PW that look brand new for $350.  Is this a good deal?

Second question: Will I be able to tell a difference in my game, or should I say, in my driving range practice? I know I won't be shooting like Tiger just bc I have new clubs...

Thanks for any constructive input!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 15.5° 3/F Baffler Rail F

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 21° 4 Hybrid

Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid 

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you joined us in this great and humbling game.

The MX17 irons are probably the most game improvement irons that Mizuno ever made.  However, the price seems a little steep to me for 15-year old clubs. If they are in like-new condition, it may be worth it to pay a little extra.  The question is: do they fit you?  Your pro should be able to give you a good idea if the shaft fits your swing or not.  Check the lie angle to see if they match your swing.  There is nothing worse than playing irons that are on the wrong end of the lie angle scale from what you need.  

There are lots of very nice game improvement irons on the market, so you might want to check around.  IMO, you should be able to find many irons that are only a few years old and in nice shape for $350.  I wouldn't jump at the first shiny things you see.  Take your time and try out the many options.  You may find something that works well for you.

Just remember... pros can play decently with crap clubs; new expensive clubs don't necessarily make ams play better.  That takes lessons.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you joined us in this great and humbling game.

The MX17 irons are probably the most game improvement irons that Mizuno ever made.  However, the price seems a little steep to me for 15-year old clubs. If they are in like-new condition, it may be worth it to pay a little extra.  The question is: do they fit you?  Your pro should be able to give you a good idea if the shaft fits your swing or not.  Check the lie angle to see if they match your swing.  There is nothing worse than playing irons that are on the wrong end of the lie angle scale from what you need.  

There are lots of very nice game improvement irons on the market, so you might want to check around.  IMO, you should be able to find many irons that are only a few years old and in nice shape for $350.  I wouldn't jump at the first shiny things you see.  Take your time and try out the many options.  You may find something that works well for you.

Just remember... pros can play decently with crap clubs; new expensive clubs don't necessarily make ams play better.  That takes lessons.

I agree with @Kenny B on this one. $350 is a little steep even if they are barely used but they would be a great club to start with but I would recommend talking to a pro or someone knowledgeable on golf equipment before buying them. They would likely be more enjoyable to use than a Nitro club. However, I don't know that they would immediately improve your game much over the Nitros. The Mizunos will feel a little better but the biggest difference will be the shafts. Cheaper clubs from boxed sets like Nitros tend to have really cheap and unstable feeling shafts. It looks like Mizuno put in the Dynalite shafts stock from the factory which would likely be good if you don't have any massive problems with the Nitros I would avoid getting this set if they have graphite shafts in them assuming you can hit a 7-iron over 100 yards. 

I do recommend upgrading from the Nitros in time as any name brand set of clubs will simply feel much better and generally inspire more confidence. However, I would recommend setting aside $100 if you're buying used clubs, to have a pro or club builder at least get the clubs adjusted for you. Having the right length and lie angle is important to really being able to improve your game faster and correctly. I agree with Kenny that there are lots of other options out there. However, trying to find the right golf equipment for you if you're new to golf can be a real maze to navigate. It's can be really tough in golf to separate the marketing from the reality as manufacturers play such a large role in the sport. My go to lower-cost iron recommendations for beginners is always the used Callaway X-series irons (X-20, X-22, etc) and the Ping G-series irons (G10, G15, G20, etc). Both lines of clubs are very forgiving and very durable making them some of the safer options on the used market for the beginner.

Overall, the MX-17s are good clubs but $350 is on the high side. New clubs won't necessarily immediately improve your game but they will likely improve your confidence and help keep you inspired and motivated to keep improving. If possible when buying used, try to buy in a store where you can maybe talk to a fitter or pro to help you get the right club. If buying online, set aside $100 to get you're clubs properly cut and bent for you. I say $100 because they may charge a few bucks a club to bend them and if they need the length changed, that will likely mean you need new grips (which you may need anyway). Best of luck! Hopefully I didn't over complicate anything.

17 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

I agree with @Kenny B on this one. $350 is a little steep even if they are barely used but they would be a great club to start with but I would recommend talking to a pro or someone knowledgeable on golf equipment before buying them. They would likely be more enjoyable to use than a Nitro club. However, I don't know that they would immediately improve your game much over the Nitros. The Mizunos will feel a little better but the biggest difference will be the shafts. Cheaper clubs from boxed sets like Nitros tend to have really cheap and unstable feeling shafts. It looks like Mizuno put in the Dynalite shafts stock from the factory which would likely be good if you don't have any massive problems with the Nitros I would avoid getting this set if they have graphite shafts in them assuming you can hit a 7-iron over 100 yards. 

I do recommend upgrading from the Nitros in time as any name brand set of clubs will simply feel much better and generally inspire more confidence. However, I would recommend setting aside $100 if you're buying used clubs, to have a pro or club builder at least get the clubs adjusted for you. Having the right length and lie angle is important to really being able to improve your game faster and correctly. I agree with Kenny that there are lots of other options out there. However, trying to find the right golf equipment for you if you're new to golf can be a real maze to navigate. It's can be really tough in golf to separate the marketing from the reality as manufacturers play such a large role in the sport. My go to lower-cost iron recommendations for beginners is always the used Callaway X-series irons (X-20, X-22, etc) and the Ping G-series irons (G10, G15, G20, etc). Both lines of clubs are very forgiving and very durable making them some of the safer options on the used market for the beginner.

Overall, the MX-17s are good clubs but $350 is on the high side. New clubs won't necessarily immediately improve your game but they will likely improve your confidence and help keep you inspired and motivated to keep improving. If possible when buying used, try to buy in a store where you can maybe talk to a fitter or pro to help you get the right club. If buying online, set aside $100 to get you're clubs properly cut and bent for you. I say $100 because they may charge a few bucks a club to bend them and if they need the length changed, that will likely mean you need new grips (which you may need anyway). Best of luck! Hopefully I didn't over complicate anything.

Well said!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you joined us in this great and humbling game.

Thanks! I've mostly enjoyed what little time I've had playing and practicing.  Addictive and infuriating! 

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I wouldn't jump at the first shiny things you see.  Take your time and try out the many options.  You may find something that works well for you.

I'll keep plugging along with the nitros for a while.  The longer I wait, the more I'll have saved up too. Hopefully I can keep up the lessons and get in a few more rounds. I appreciate your advice, and thank you for such a warm welcome! 

Hi Kansas! 

8 hours ago, Kansas King said:

It looks like Mizuno put in the Dynalite shafts stock from the factory which would likely be good if you don't have any massive problems with the Nitros I would avoid getting this set if they have graphite shafts in them assuming you can hit a 7-iron over 100 yards. 

The Mizunos have True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. I can get 100 with the Nitro 7, I think. My range doesn't have distance markers, so I'm guessing slightly. My problem is really getting consistent results. I know I'm still learning, but 20 yards left to right spread on 2 back to back shots that feel the same to me, seems like a lot if deviation. 

9 hours ago, Kansas King said:

However, I would recommend setting aside $100 if you're buying used clubs, to have a pro or club builder at least get the clubs adjusted for you. Having the right length and lie angle is important to really being able to improve your game faster and correctly.

That is a really great idea! I was under the impression that having clubs fit to you was something I couldn't afford. I had no idea it was that reasonable! 

My go to lower-cost iron recommendations for beginners is always the used Callaway X-series irons (X-20, X-22, etc) and the Ping G-series irons (G10, G15, G20, etc). Both lines of clubs are very forgiving and very durable making them some of the safer options on the used market for the beginner.

I'll certainly take a look at the Callaway X and the Ping G series clubs, I always assumed those brands would be out of my price range. Are clubs like cars? Drive them off the lot and they drop 50% in value? 

New clubs won't necessarily immediately improve your game but they will likely improve your confidence and help keep you inspired and motivated to keep improving.

I think you are right and I probably need to use what I have until I either can't stand it, I come into a windfall, or I get to where I can get consistent results from the Nitros. 

Best of luck! Hopefully I didn't over complicate anything.

Thank you!  No over complications at all, that was a great explanation. Thank you for taking the time to write it up, I really appreciate it. 

28 minutes ago, Bill Akins said:

Hi Kansas! 

The Mizunos have True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. I can get 100 with the Nitro 7, I think. My range doesn't have distance markers, so I'm guessing slightly. My problem is really getting consistent results. I know I'm still learning, but 20 yards left to right spread on 2 back to back shots that feel the same to me, seems like a lot if deviation. 

That is a really great idea! I was under the impression that having clubs fit to you was something I couldn't afford. I had no idea it was that reasonable! 

I'll certainly take a look at the Callaway X and the Ping G series clubs, I always assumed those brands would be out of my price range. Are clubs like cars? Drive them off the lot and they drop 50% in value? 

I think you are right and I probably need to use what I have until I either can't stand it, I come into a windfall, or I get to where I can get consistent results from the Nitros. 

Thank you!  No over complications at all, that was a great explanation. Thank you for taking the time to write it up, I really appreciate it. 

I think you are on the right path. I would encourage you to upgrade from your Nitros as they really aren't inspiring clubs to use. When it comes to getting fit, $100ish will get you're clubs bent and cut to the correct length using the cheapest grips (which aren't bad) depending on where you go. You may have to call around to find the best price as some shops are just straight up pricey depending on your area. $100 will not get you different shafts or a launch monitor fitting. They will use what is called a lie board and impact tape to determine length and lie. It's not a complex process. Used clubs are actually really expensive compared to where they pre-pandemic. The set of MX-17s you are looking at probably would have sold for $100 - $200 if it were a year or so ago. Same goes for all other golf clubs, especially the name brands. With that said, there are still plenty of good deals out there with Facebook marketplace and local sellers being your best bet to find a good deal. Ebay tends to be a little pricey with golf stuff from the big brands but it is available. Just beware, eBay sellers tend to be a little devious with their postings. Pictures may look good and the description may look right but it's not uncommon to get a set that has significantly changed from what is stock. Just beware. Buying used clubs in person is always your best situation but that doesn't always work. I like 2nd Swing for buying used golf stuff as they take pictures and usually note any major issues but they are also on the high end of pricing. It seems people have good luck with Callaway Pre-Owned as well. Beyond that, just go out and have fun. The Nitros will work until you get something better. 

Great set of forgiving irons, but we used to sell them brand new for £199 in the run up to the MX-19 being released. And if I remember correctly they were only £349 when at full price. We sold loads of them.

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

I had the MX-15 their  predecessor and still have a set of MX-25 (Forged) version. From my experience they are a good improver iron, my game at the time was h/c 22 and used them until I was playing of 12. Like many have said they do look a bit pricey. I sold 3i-PW for £50 a couple of years ago. 

I was never fitted for the MX-15 and were off the shelf regular shafts, because of my success with them I got fitted for the MX-25 which again served me well getting me down to single figures.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag