TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Magazine Top 30 Munis

LICC

Golf Magazine just came out with a great ranking- the top muni courses! Kudos for coming up with this list.

I've played 5 of the top 6 ranked courses, in order: Bethpage Black, Chambers Bay, George Wright, Bethpage Red, Torrey Pines South, and Ferry Point (I have not played Chambers Bay).

I've mentioned this in relation to other lists, but I don't see how George Wright is anywhere near this ranking. It's a good course, better than your average muni, but nothing close to the top in the country. I would compare it to Split Rock in the Bronx- it's a bit better than that but not substantially. It is nowhere near the level of Bethpage Red or Ferry Point.

I would also rank Ferry Point ahead of Torrey Pines, and it's not even close. I've also played Montauk Downs (17) and Wailua (26) on the list and both seem deserving.

For those interested, the rest of the top 10 are Memorial Park, Buffalo Dunes (in Kansas), Pinon Hills, and Butterfield Trail. Torrey Pines North is 18th and TPC Harding Park is 24th.

I was surprised that 2 Cleveland Metroparks courses made the top 30.  Sleepy Hollow (13), and Manakiki  (27).  Its funny Manakiki is very nice, and play it once a summer, but I never would have thought it would be ranked on something like this.  I guess maybe I need to stop taking all of the quality golf courses we have in the greater Cleveland area for granted.  

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, stuka44 said:

I was surprised that 2 Cleveland Metroparks courses made the top 30.  Sleepy Hollow (13), and Manakiki  (27).  Its funny Manakiki is very nice, and play it once a summer, but I never would have thought it would be ranked on something like this.  I guess maybe I need to stop taking all of the quality golf courses we have in the greater Cleveland area for granted.  

Don't sleep on CLE we are spoiled. Lots of great munis, not just the metroparks

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The one Alabama course on here is interesting. I’m not sure I would have even pegged it as the best muni in Alabama. It’s an easy tract with drivable par 4s/short par 5s. I mean when Smylie Kaufman got married, he rented out the whole place and had Rickie, Jordan, and other pros come play there instead of the country clubs he could have easily gotten into. Maybe it’s the history they are ranking so highly on. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Glad to see Butterfield Trail on there. I really enjoyed that course, and I found it odd that there wasn’t a soul around when I went one day after work. I’m not exaggerating. Outside of one person inside, I didn’t see another person! Great course.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...

I played Montauk Downs a month ago.  It is a beautiful course and an absolute beast.

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

• 2 weeks later...

Great list. Anyone want to play Papago let me know. Tempted to make a road trip for Pinon Hills as well. Never been to New Mexico. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I've heard Memorial Park is pretty nice but not for the price (unless you live inside Houston proper, not even Harris County residents can get the local rate). I'm stunned that Palatka is on here, then again I played it during my high school days so I can only assume its received some love since then.

14 minutes ago, RyckyRych said:

I've heard Memorial Park is pretty nice but not for the price (unless you live inside Houston proper, not even Harris County residents can get the local rate). I'm stunned that Palatka is on here, then again I played it during my high school days so I can only assume its received some love since then.

Memorial Park is PGA stop right? I'd play it if I'm ever in Houston.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Great list. Anyone want to play Papago let me know. Tempted to make a road trip for Pinon Hills as well. Never been to New Mexico. 

You should make the trip to Pinon Hills!!  Very reasonably priced; well, it was 20 years ago when I played it.  I was a bogey+ golfer at the time, and I thought it was a great course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've played Pinon Hills, Gold Mountain, Torrey Pines North, and Indian Wells.  They are all great courses; Pinon Hills and Gold Mountain are the better deals.

Again... my muni Columbia Point didn't make the list.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, stuka44 said:

On 6/7/2021 at 5:12 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Don't sleep on CLE we are spoiled. Lots of great munis, not just the metroparks

I am hoping I can get a group of buddies together and make a trip up to play both of them before the season ends.