Jump to content

Nicklaus: Redesigning Muirfield Village Golf Club


Middler
 Share

Recommended Posts

I enjoyed this, thought others might as well, with this being The Memorial Tournament week. Might be the last major update at Muirfield Village. Sentimental to me because I used to live in the area, attended the tournament quite a few times, and had the good fortune to play it twice (brought me to my knees both times). I've played about a half dozen world class courses, Muirfield Village was beautiful and the best conditioned course I've every played on bar none.

 

  • Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Middler said:

I enjoyed this, thought others might as well, with this being The Memorial Tournament week. Might be the last major update at Muirfield Village. Sentimental to me because I used to live in the area, attended the tournament quite a few times, and had the good fortune to play it twice (brought me to my knees both times). I've played about a half dozen world class courses, Muirfield Village was beautiful and the best conditioned course I've every played on bar none.

 

Jack just making the corresponding adjustments to advances in equipment technology... and maybe a little uptick in physical capabilities amongst the field 😉.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, Middler said:

I enjoyed this, thought others might as well, with this being The Memorial Tournament week. Might be the last major update at Muirfield Village. Sentimental to me because I used to live in the area, attended the tournament quite a few times, and had the good fortune to play it twice (brought me to my knees both times). I've played about a half dozen world class courses, Muirfield Village was beautiful and the best conditioned course I've every played on bar none.

 

Great post. Muirfield's conditions are impeccable. I've been their 3 times and always amazed at just how beautiful it is. Joking here, but they probably can put some rubber steps or mats after the par3 4th hole leading up to the concession stand. Anytime it rains so many ppl slip on that slope (usually spilling like 3-4 beers along the way ha)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Columbus and have gone to The Memorial a number of times. I wasn't planning to this year, but after watching the video, I've changed my mind.

It's a treat to see the way Nicklaus thinks and the extent of the changes and work as it happens.

Thanks Middler for alerting the forum to the video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve liked every Nicklaus course I’ve played (5 total). All well thought out and they make you think about shot selection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They should hold a US Open there, too bad it probably won’t happen during Jacks life. 

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

Titleist T300

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember the cameras cutting to #6 last year as they were finishing the tournament.  Thought they were just updating the greens, wrong! The man has an eye for design, have yet to play one of his courses, but I like what he said about Muirfield “...May not be tougher, but it is better...”.  Makes me appreciate the Golden Bear much more.  This course will be his ultimate legacy. 

WITB? :taylormade-small:10.5deg SLDR (R flex),  :taylormade-small:3HL/17 SLDR Series (R flex),:taylormade-small: 5/19 SLDR Series (R flex), :taylormade-small: 4h/22 SLDR Series (R flex), :callaway-small: DIablo graphite shaft irons (5 (R flex), 6-PW (A flex)), :cleveland-small: CBX 50, 54,& 58 wedges - graphite, :odyssey-small: White Iron 5 putter.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've played a ton of Nicklaus course and have loved most of them. His early designs were brutally hard, I've noticed that his designs have gotten more playable over the years for the average hacker. I used to laugh when he criticized Pete Dye for making his courses too difficult and I was like Pot-Kettle-Black! But Dye had an even better response, he said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Jack I have people lining up to be members and play my hard golf courses so why should I make them easier?"

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

I've played a ton of Nicklaus course and have loved most of them. His early designs were brutally hard, I've noticed that his designs have gotten more playable over the years for the average hacker. I used to laugh when he criticized Pete Dye for making his courses too difficult and I was like Pot-Kettle-Black! But Dye had an even better response, he said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Jack I have people lining up to be members and play my hard golf courses so why should I make them easier?"

Interesting. I found another recent interview with Jack and he said this latest MV update was as much if not more for members as for touring pros. He wanted to make it play better, tough but fair, rewarding thoughtful play with modern amenities for members and pros alike. Though he made it a little longer for pros (only 150 yards), he said he actually corrected some shots that were unfairly punished, he wasn’t trying to just make it harder. He mentioned the original Muirfield Village course was designed for pros and the tournament, and it was not member friendly at all, he said he’s been correcting that with each update ever since. Jack was only 26 when they bought the land for MV but construction didn’t really ramp up for 6 years, and he was 34 when it opened for play, first Memorial tournament was 2 years later.

After watching the video in post #1 above, I kept thinking “this must have cost a FORTUNE!”

Based on yesterday’s scoring, he didn’t make it tougher, though the course was soft (wet). When it dries out and gets firm and fast, that’s when it shows best?

  • Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

They should hold a US Open there, too bad it probably won’t happen during Jacks life. 

The Memorial is always two weeks before the US Open, so that would be tough. Maybe a President's Cup would be fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 6/4/2021 at 8:29 AM, LICC said:

The Memorial is always two weeks before the US Open, so that would be tough. Maybe a President's Cup would be fun.

True, but they could pull it off, no different really than the mens and womens at #2 the following week.  I say just get the rough long for the Memorial and keep it growing until the US Open, firm up the greens, roll them, coordinate the logistics with the USGA in terms of bleachers etc. 

The President's cup, while a fun exhibition, is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, probably more of an annoyance to the members than any lasting history.  Saying your course would be a huge honor for Jack and his legacy, it would take the course up a notch in the history of the game.  Jack is not only arguably, the greatest player in the history of the game but is one of the greatest players in USGA history.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

Titleist T300

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

 

True, but they could pull it off, no different really than the mens and womens at #2 the following week.  I say just get the rough long for the Memorial and keep it growing until the US Open, firm up the greens, roll them, coordinate the logistics with the USGA in terms of bleachers etc. 

The President's cup, while a fun exhibition, is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, probably more of an annoyance to the members than any lasting history.  Saying your course would be a huge honor for Jack and his legacy, it would take the course up a notch in the history of the game.  Jack is not only arguably, the greatest player in the history of the game but is one of the greatest players in USGA history.  

It wouldn't work for ratings and fan interest to go right back to the same course so quickly. It's much different having the women's open right after because seeing the women play the same course as the men and how differently they play holds interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...