TESTERS WANTED! ×

Honma 747v irons vs. Srixon ZX7 irons ???

Scotland blue

I have recently been seeing a lot of buzz about these Srixon irons and wondered about how they compare to the Honmas.  The appearance is close and I think they come with basically the same shaft.  I'm not sure but I think that the lofts are very close if not the same.  Those of you with experience in both would be interesting to hear your comments.

1.  Size

2.  Feel

3.  Performance

4.  Overall

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I think the 747 irons have been replaced by the Tr20 line; at least that is what is available in the us market.  I have the tr20V in my bag and the srixon 765 in my backup bag.  I have tested the zx7 as part of most wanted.   I don’t have them side by side and am going from memory but would say:

honma a little smaller

honma a little more muted from a sound perspective.  Both feel good but feel Is very personal. 

equivalent performance 

overall I like the honma’s but wouldn’t hesitate to play the zx7s.  Both are solid clubs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I got fitted this month and hit both the zx7 and the Honda tr20v. There are so many good irons out there right now (I tested probably 6-8 brands). I went with the zx7 as ended up having the most consistent numbers with it (that was my main priority). Feel wise and looks both are great, main difference I noticed was mishits for me the Honma was less forgiving. Recommend going to a fitter, everyone is different and you'll be surprised at what you like. My second fav iron was actually the taylormade tp770 (which I'm usually not a TaylorMade fan). 

Just purchased the zx7’s. Never been a Srixon guy and was trying to find any way out of getting the. Really wanted the mizuno 20’s or tm Mc/770 combo... 

I was so much more consistent with the zx7’s it was comical. Great feel, very forgiving, great sound and really loved the turn interaction which is very unique. Wish I could say something bad but even hit the 4 iron great.