TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is the golf swing intuitive to you?

Is the golf swing intuitive to you?   

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is the golf swing intuitive to you?

• Yes
    • No

Every now and then I come across a video of someone with a truly bizarre golf swing.  It got me thinking about the swing in general.  Most people seem to have an idea of how to make a swing that "looks" like a golf swing (it may not go as desired), but every now and then there are some people that just can't figure it out.   Which one are you and what was your experience?    

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

My swing isn’t unorthodox in any way, but it’s not natural to me. Bad shots often feel like good ones, I know what my face angle and path was immediately after each shot based on its flight, but I rarely know where my swing error came from. And I’ve heard people say they can feel where the club head is throughout their swing, I don’t have that sense at all. But I’ll keep trying…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I voted yes, so I will explain why. I played hockey and baseball among other things when I was younger, I wouldn't refer to myself as athletic but my parents had me in a few sports growing up.

I like to explain that baseball taught me how to swing and hockey helped me to bring that swing to the ground. I don't really remember having an awkward swing or trying to figure it out, it was mostly seeing swings on tv and trying to emulate that. 

I have never really had much in the way of instruction either other than a teaching pro that I worked for giving me some tips occationally when I was hitting into the net during my shift. One of my favorite moments was when one of the customers came in for a lesson I was in the teaching bay and he started speaking to my boss. Well after I had left the net my boss told me that the customer had pointed at me and asked if I was the teaching pro.

I don't know if you would call that intuitive or if the swing came naturally or anything like that but swinging a golf club has always been a good feeling to me

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Just gotta do it and keep the mechanical thoughts out of your head. Just hit a good one

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Sadly, my swing is not intuitive.  When I first started playing in my 30's, people were always telling me how good my swing looked, but I didn't hit the ball well.  After 30 years or so, I finally feel like I know how to hit a golf ball and no one ever says my swing looks good.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I have generally been told I have a good golf swing.  While I have taken lessons,  I really haven't had a lot of rebuilding of my golf swing and it has always been tweaks to what I always did naturally and tweaks seem to be pretty easy to incorporate with a little practice.  Not saying I have a perfect swing,  but it has always been pretty functional. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Intuitive, no. Golf is the only sport that I have played where I need to think about how to swing a club. I can throw a football, throw and hit a baseball, etc. and not think about it. With golf, I don't even always get the setup right. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

It's not intuitive for me but I think that's because mentally, I still have problems suppressing the hit impulse. I also played baseball and hockey in my younger, skinnier days and both of those involve hitting a moving object so for me, there was far more fluidity to those motions than a golf swing where you're hitting a stationary object. Thankfully lessons have definitely helped, but I never picked up a club, even as a teen, and felt like hitting a golf ball was the same as hitting a baseball. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I think a of people let hitting the ball get in the way of swinging the club. My brother makes very nice practice swings... then he let's it rip trying to hit the ball. We all know how that goes...lol. I always have tried to just swing through the ball like a practice swing. It seems to work most of the time. There are those times that golf just says "not today buddy"...lol.

Intuitive, absolutely not. I spent a lot of time learning to swing properly. When I first started the only thing intuitive was putting the token in the machine for range balls! I had no clue what I was doing. The more I read magazines and watched Harvey Penick VHS tapes (yes dating myself) the more confusing it got. To many swing thoughts. Keep you knees bent, left arm straight, don't grip to hard, is my alignment correct, am I shifting my weight forward and so on. I used to video tape myself watch it on a glass tube TV and then draw alignment lines on the TV with a dry erase marker and compare it to golfers in golf magazines . 

Fast forward 30 plus years later and I have no swing thoughts and everything is intuitive. I don't particularly care what my swing looks like, because it works for me. I haven't seen my swing in over 20 years. I think if I saw it it would probably mess me up and I would try to fix something that I should just leave alone. My philosophy, if it is working don't mess with it.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

My golf swing is 100% self taught, and intuitive.  I find that the less I thinks about mechanics, set up, take away, transition the better off I am 100 % of the time.  Just line up  and swing.  I started when I was 12-13, just chipping around my backyard with my brothers, we had a little 4 hole set up. The longest hole was 45 yards, but we would chip around the 4 holes all day long.  After all that chipping when I went to the full size course the full swing came pretty naturally, and I've just went with it.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

To answer this, I think I'd want to go back to my first few years playing golf.  I had this horrible slice, hardly ever hit one straight.  That was my "intuitive" golf swing, a bad one.  Since then I've learned to play a bit, cleaned up my grip, my address, my backswing, my lower body movement, my tempo.  So now this hugely improved swing seems natural, it seems intuitive, but its not the same swing I used when I was using only my own intuition.  So no, I don't think its intuitive.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I voted yes, I am told I have a good swing, feels natural to me. Now if you would have if contact with the club and the ball was intuitive, that would be a resounding NO.

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

No,  ideally would like to get to a more unconcise swing for driver and long irons but still have to think of at least one or two thoughts during each swing.          

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

On 6/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

Every now and then I come across a video of someone with a truly bizarre golf swing.  It got me thinking about the swing in general.  Most people seem to have an idea of how to make a swing that "looks" like a golf swing (it may not go as desired), but every now and then there are some people that just can't figure it out.   Which one are you and what was your experience?    

Interesting… I thought this was a different question… my swing is fairly basic and has survived multiple lay offs over the years… 

I can genetically put the face on the ball with any club, from my moms senior woman’s driver to the rebar shafts that are fun to demo… I can’t always control where it goes! But I’m pretty good at making a decent pass.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

Yes, because if I get too caught up in mechanics it messes me up more. I usually just swing to find my groove, identify some feel that I can try to recreate when I'm out on the course and repeat it. That feel changes from round to round and I go with what is working that day. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

60% of the time, it works every time.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

If you can’t stack and tilt,” good luck finding the slot.

B375E4E1-9B42-4AA6-87E4-6758B86226B3.gif

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

For some 5 decades I thought it was and then 10 years ago I had a mini stroke and had to relearn my swing and what had been intuitive has been replaced with me now struggling to find a way to strike the ball well again. Been frustrating for that last decade. Lessons would not help  since from one day to the next I have a problem just taking the club back the same way every stroke I take.

• 1 year later...

For me, golf is on a par with billiards in terms of difficulty. That's because these two games don't seem as simple at first glance as we imagine them to be. The most difficult thing in golf is to train a very clear and accurate golf swing. To learn how to hit in golf correctly, you need to train a lot and try a lot of tactics to understand how the technique of hitting works. Also in this sport there is a huge number of clubs, each of them plays a huge role and you need to use them correctly. You need to know which stick is needed for which moment. When a friend told me about it for the first time, my head almost exploded from all this complex information.

Edited by CaslRock

It felt like it just made sense to me however I am going to throw a distinction in there that intuitive does not mean proficient or exceptional.

There are plenty of golfers with natural talent who "get-it" however cannot break 80 or 75.  

Some of the best instructors I know are not exactly scratch golfers (one took 4 attempts to pass his PAT) however his grasp of the game is 2nd to none.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I think when I was younger. And had a motion at the time that gave me adequate distance. Now that I’ve aged gracefully… my timing just hasn’t been there distance wise. So I took the route of lessons. Which I’ve found has been a complete rebuilding of my swing. I think the older we age. Swings that may have some flaws catch up to us. I’ve found out that it was many areas that needed changing in order to be competitive for as long as possible. True we can move up tee markers. But who really wants to play the super senior tees that are shorter than the lady tees? For me the whites is as short as I will go

My swing is intuitive, but that doesn't mean it's good or consistent...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I'd say aspects of my swing are intuitive and natural, especially with my wedges. That includes a fairly square stance, accelerating through my downswing, weight transition etc. It's why I use baseball swings as part of my warmups. 

However, there are aspects that feel so freaking awkward that I need to tell myself to remember them before my round. 

I think it just comes down to each person and their respective backgrounds. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

My swing is basically homemade. I taught myself the game, watching the pros on TV, reading golf magazines, spending a LOT of time on the range, with a lesson or two thrown in. Used to slice driver and woods something awful when I started. Never really had a "fast" swing, as my swing speed has been measured at only about 80 mph, but have been told I have nice "tempo" back to front. I have been complimented many times on my swing, and that it doesn't look labored, or that I'm trying to do something unorthodox. I just wish I could be "more" consistent, especially out of the tee box. My swing has gotten a lot shorter these days, due to age(65), and arthritis, limiting turn at the top of my backswing. So, I make it work. Stretching helps, but I just play with what I have, using whatever tech I think helps me get some distance on the ball. I can carry my driver on average 220-230 on good days, partly because I play a 2 piece distance ball, as I have a hard time playing 3 piece offerings that spin too much for me off the tee. My swing feels natural, and I stay within myself, never trying to "get one out there" for distance sake. Laying up because of hazards is what I do, instead of hitting the "trouble" shot if I were to go for it, adding strokes to the scorecard. Staying in the fairway is my mantra! It took me quite a few years to develope a good, working wedge game, especially greenside chips. Playing "smart" golf keeps the score down, and I don't lose as many golfballs.

Edited by drb1956
spelling

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c