Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PMookie gets an Edel Wedge fitting at Nevada Bob’s in Jackson, MS!

PMookie

Damn - these fittings from you and @dlow206 just keep making more angry at Edel for not offering anything for a Left Handed golfer.  Would be nice if they tried to do something.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I was in Jackson, MS, today and went by the store so we could call Edel and finalize the order. All that needed ironing out were the shafts.

Edel is going to come-through for me and get me the Nippon Modus 130 Stiff shafts. They’re going to be soft-stepped, but I can’t remember if they’re doing it just once or twice…. The builds should start Thursday, and I should have them within a couple weeks!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

By the way, these new bags are SICK. I want that black one!!!!!!!!!

1F2CAD9B-2B6C-4FD3-B225-5D2C487F7318.jpeg

Great video on YouTube where David Edel describes the inspiration and ideas behind the new wedge system.

• 3 weeks later...

D5716AAE-732D-479C-ABB6-C9D65DAB22A3.jpeg.d2f41152b871e4ff4cd9b55fd055aa6b.jpegWent to the range during lunch today. Here is a picture of my 50° wedge after eight consecutive shots. I would have to say that the fitting is pretty dang good!

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

The “micro grooves” look like they’ll provide a little traction…. 🍥

not sure what that emoji is but it has backspin.

I’m sure the micro grooves are part of the reason the Edel tests showed increases in backspin of 10%. Mine went up about a 1000 vs my Vega wedges

• 4 months later...

9674AAD2-48C4-432F-88D7-26C90B0CD59D.jpeg.1df9b7afcd1f17bd685097522558f75a.jpegB409A9BE-43A1-42CC-938A-E4FEB3541259.jpeg.5f167ed9e38c77a7676754f73cd695bc.jpegWent full rep mode today with the Edel gear.

I REALLY like the look of the new Edel wedges, PARTICULARLY the C grind.

A 48-54-60 set, 1º flat, 6º up from my 9-iron,  with shafts and grips to match my irons,

would probably be right down my alley, but I don't know where I could try them.

I've been burned too often ordering stuff on faith that it would suit me.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

9 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

A 48-54-60 set, 1º flat, 6º up from my 9-iron,  with shafts and grips to match my irons,

Could be wrong, but it I remember right Edel's site has a spot where they list out fitters that stock their stuff, might be worth looking into.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

1 minute ago, ncwoz said:

Could be wrong, but it I remember right Edel's site has a spot where they list out fitters that stock their stuff, might be worth looking into.

Good idea. Thanks.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

5 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Definitely need a fitting for these.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, PMookie said:

Definitely need a fitting for these.

I very much believe you, and that's probably what will stop me from buying them. 

I know what I like, and I'm not looking for opinions. 

They can say C-Grind all they want, but they're not giving me actual bounce measurements,

and right or wrong, that's what my mindset requires. It's a mental game for me.

I have a 42º 9-iron in my set.  To go from 9-iron to lob wedge in four evenly spaced clubs, I don't need a set-matching      46° PW.

I need a 48, a 54, and a 60.   I'll get used to even 6° increments from the 9-iron with no problems.

The fly in the ointment is the 54.  Nobody is offering them with less than 10º bounce, and 8° is the most that my mind will mentally endure.   Otherwise, I'll psychosomatically belly-hit the ball with the leading edge.  

If Edel could tell me that their actual bounce on the 54 C grind is 8º, I could very happily buy it without a fitting. They're not telling me that, however, so I must keep looking or strengthen a 56 and be very unhappy with the stamping.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

1 hour ago, BostonSal said:

I very much believe you, and that's probably what will stop me from buying them. 

They can say C-Grind all they want, but they're not giving me actual bounce measurements,

I have a 42º 9-iron in my set.  To go from 9-iron to lob wedge in four evenly spaced clubs, I don't need a set-matching      46° PW.

I need a 48, a 54, and a 60.   I'll get used to even 6° increments from the 9-iron with no problems.

The fly in the ointment is the 54.  Nobody is offering them with less than 10º bounce, and 8° is the most that my mind will mentally endure.   Otherwise, I'll psychosomatically belly-hit the ball with the leading edge.  

If Edel could tell me that their actual bounce on the 54 C grind is 8º, I could very happily buy it without a fitting. They're not telling me that, however, so I must keep looking or strengthen a 56 and be very unhappy with the stamping.

Yeah, in general, Edel has higher bounce because they don’t lie about it… 

1 hour ago, BostonSal said:

Question: have you ever seen an Edel wedge, the new SMS or the prior generation, in-person? Reason I ask is that I’ve had both, and I’ve never seen ANY other brand of wedge have the leading edge tight to the ground like an Edel. How is it that a Vokey with 8* of “bounce” can’t have the leading edge flush with the ground at address? The leading edge is always up above the ground, and part way up the ball. That’s not 8* of bounce….. Edel wedges remove a LOT of the excess area behind the heel/hosel so that the wedges actually sit dead flat to the ground. Maybe you’ve seen them in-person, and have set them side-by-side other wedges, but if you haven’t you’ll see that all other major wedge brands don’t sit the same as an Edel.

Not trying to argue or change your mind, by the way, just information. What we “see” greatly affects our performance. Totally get it. 

Here’s a video of David talking about why his wedges have higher “effective” bounce.

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

If strengthening a 56 is going to cause an issue because of the number on the club, you're just making things needlessly difficult on yourself. I'm sure Artisan will spec out what you need if you want to go custom. Or do your own grind on a 54 with 10 degrees of bounce. 

Grinds will differ between companies which will make the bounce play different at the same number. 

https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/effective-bounce

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

11 hours ago, PMookie said:

Question: have you ever seen an Edel wedge, the new SMS or the prior generation, in-person? Reason I ask is that I’ve had both, and I’ve never seen ANY other brand of wedge have the leading edge tight to the ground like an Edel. How is it that a Vokey with 8* of “bounce” can’t have the leading edge flush with the ground at address? The leading edge is always up above the ground, and part way up the ball. That’s not 8* of bounce….. Edel wedges remove a LOT of the excess area behind the heel/hosel so that the wedges actually sit dead flat to the ground. Maybe you’ve seen them in-person, and have set them side-by-side other wedges, but if you haven’t you’ll see that all other major wedge brands don’t sit the same as an Edel.

Not trying to argue or change your mind, by the way, just information. What we “see” greatly affects our performance. Totally get it. 

Here’s a video of David talking about why his wedges have higher “effective” bounce.

Oh Scratch in the JLM/EGG grinds had a low leading edge like that---- Also some of the grinds resemble the old Solus wedge grinds or the Renegar Wedges I tested here way back when. I am also like @BostonSal on the fact I have to see for myself. Which I am not saying Edel does not know his stuff but I gotta see first hand. But the pics are good looking wedges and that is a fact Jack. There is no set in stone standard for bounce and effective bounce and everyone requires different types of bounce--- For anyone just learning I reccomend the Maltby book " How Wedges Work" and they also had a video too. Me I depend on my eye and feel plus I know how to use my Wedge Guages too. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Oh Scratch in the JLM/EGG grinds had a low leading edge like that---- Also some of the grinds resemble the old Solus wedge grinds or the Renegar Wedges I tested here way back when. I am also like @BostonSal on the fact I have to see for myself. Which I am not saying Edel does not know his stuff but I gotta see first hand. But the pics are good looking wedges and that is a fact Jack. There is no set in stone standard for bounce and effective bounce and everyone requires different types of bounce--- For anyone just learning I reccomend the Maltby book " How Wedges Work" and they also had a video too. Me I depend on my eye and feel plus I know how to use my Wedge Guages too. 

That’s what Dave says in the video, each person needs different types of bounce. As always, a good wedge fitting for any brand is the best way to figure it out individually.

Mookie, can't wait to see how the SMS work for you this season. They were a potential pick in my recent fitting at CC, but just a bit too inconsistent on spin compared to some of the other options. Love the look and the tech though, really believe in it, just not for me.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

On 11/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, PMookie said:

I appreciate the info.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 11/9/2021 at 5:53 PM, BMart519 said:

If strengthening a 56 is going to cause an issue because of the number on the club, you're just making things needlessly difficult on yourself. I'm sure Artisan will spec out what you need if you want to go custom. Or do your own grind on a 54 with 10 degrees of bounce. 

Grinds will differ between companies which will make the bounce play different at the same number. 

https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/effective-bounce

You're right, actually. 

If you want the exact club as you like it, you need to open a factory, have the tooling made., and then hope you were right about what you wanted.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

If I end up spending $800 on a C-Grind 48 / 54 / 60° set, 

bought sight unseen from an internet order,

all three at 63° lie and 35½" as is my practice,

with Tour Wrap 2G grips because that's on everything but my putters,

and graphite shafts that don't match my irons because ones that do  aren't offered---

if I actually do that---

I'm never going to admit it if they don't work out.

I'm going to say that they're the best wedges I've ever owned

and that they're  better wedges than I had ever imagined were possible

because if I don't say that 

I'll look like the dumbest guy who's ever posted on the internet.

I've got the winter to stew over it.

But if I do it, I'll be here in the spring saying that they're the best wedges ever made.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 5 months later...

With the opportunity for MGS’ers to be a tester for these I figured I’d bring this out of the moth balls for folks to read about my fitting experience, and SEE the actual effect of moving the weights in pics.

This system is for real, folks. 

This thread deserves a big bump with the SMS Wedge testing signups happening

Wheels are spinning on potential loft and grind combinations 

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

With the opportunity for MGS’ers to be a tester for these I figured I’d bring this out of the moth balls for folks to read about my fitting experience, and SEE the actual effect of moving the weights in pics.

This system is for real, folks. 

Haha. Did a google search to find this thread! Didn’t realize you already bumped it!

@PMookie  I appreciated your write up about getting fitted. I have never though about this level of detail or the need for getting custom fitted for wedges. I have always used rack clubs. Trying a few different lofts to get even distribution of distance. I came across your post while looking for recommendations on new wedges. Just recently gashed my sand wedge by a hidden rock buried in a bunker. I'm new to mygolfspy and this is my first post. So I don't know what interest people or what kind of response I'll get. I have been using a 52, 56, 60 deg combo made by Cleveland. Not sure of the model. I'll have to look when I get to the car. Yes I keep my clubs in the trunk. Never know when the opportunity will come to hit the links. They are a few years old and needed replacing. Never got around to it because of $$$. I was looking at buying some less expensive Tour edge Hot Launch E522 ($89) in order to keep the cost down. Now I'm thinking I should go through a fitting and get this done right. 

I'm satisfied with the range of my current wedges. 100-120 yds is the 52 deg. Over 120 I use my PW which is 46deg. Everything less than 100 yds I use the 56.  When chipping around the green I'll generally use the PW. The 60 deg is a solid (very accurate) 80-85 yds, only use it in that distance or if I have to get over something high.

I'm open to suggestions from others how they have approached new wedges especially with keeping the cost down. I also would like a recommendation for a good wedge fitter in the SLC, UT area.  

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So after a year or so in your bag Mookie, do you still feel like you’re getting the flush hits you got during your fitting? Any new thoughts or revelations about them?

I dig the Edel “fittings” , as I was fit for an Edel putter, and it’s still firmly in the bag, with zero thoughts of trying anything else. I imagine their wedges probably elicit the same thoughts…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

So after a year or so in your bag Mookie, do you still feel like you’re getting the flush hits you got during your fitting? Any new thoughts or revelations about them?

I dig the Edel “fittings” , as I was fit for an Edel putter, and it’s still firmly in the bag, with zero thoughts of trying anything else. I imagine their wedges probably elicit the same thoughts…

Yes, still very happy with them and I’m still amazed how consistent I am with them. At Edel 2 weeks ago I got on the monitor with all three to make sure the fitting was still good and they were all still clustered in little groupings on full shots. I still have chipping yips and these have helped with that as well due to confidence and their look. It’s absolutely eye-opening having gone through the fitting and if you get the chance to do one, it will be for you as well! My putter and wedges aren’t going ANYWHERE!!!

• 6 months later...

Hey @PMookie I am very interested but only if they can offer a Senior shaft. Do you know if they do?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

57 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Hey @PMookie I am very interested but only if they can offer a Senior shaft. Do you know if they do?

Based on the Edel site they offer lots of shaft options but most seem to be R and S.   Since they seem to be one of the few that offer a wide range of shafts in the wedges it might be best to reach out to Edel directly and see if they can provide the shaft you want or head only so you could install the shaft.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@fozcycleIve reached-out to my guys to see. I’ll let you know