Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Wanted results - Strokes Gained differences in practical terms

Jim418

I'm looking at the SG data for Drivers for Mid Swing speeds. https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-driver-for-mid-swing-speeds/  What does the SG number really mean?

The top driver is the Titliest TSi3 which has a SG of 0.0520. Compare that with the driver in the middle of the pack (Callaway Epic Speed with a SG of 0.0032). So based on this data the difference in SG is 0.0520 - 0.0032 = 0.0488.  IF that is per drive, and one takes 14 drives per round: 0.0488 x 14 = 0.6832 SG per round from driving. So you'd save a stroke from driving every 1.5 rounds from using the TSi3 vs Epic Speed. Is that correct?

If that is what the SG numbers mean, the differences between some of the top drivers really are very small. I'm looking at the Cobra Rad Speed (#6). If the above calculation is appropriate, the difference between the two drivers would work out to ONE stroke from driving every 4.3 rounds.

On a side note, now can the Rad Speed be ranked better than the TSi3 in both distance (1 vs 4) and forgiveness (16 vs 17), but be lower ranked overall (6 vs 1)?

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

Great questions - the simple answers are, yes and dispersion - a club can be more “forgiving” in that it performs more consistently on off center hits but it’s dispersion pattern may still be greater.

The more complicated answers have to do with what all of this means for you. Those results are composites, you’re not.  So the question for you to figure out is if you perform similarly to the composite what does a stroke every other round matter?  For many that answer means “no” while for others who compete more competitively the answers will be a resounding, yes! 

More than likely though you aren’t the composite which means that within the range of drivers tested there’s a best fit for you. Each of the drivers tested will work best for someone even the one that finished last while each will be more problematic, even or more of the top finishers. 

The test is a starting point - it helps you start your driver search. 

I hope that helps. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I decided to sell all my gamers, plus some old clubs and started all over.

I had a Ping G 400 max. That I just never felt comfortable with.

I heard all these great things about the Homna Tr20. So I bought one brand new off eBay with out trying.

This driver is so much better than anything I have ever swung . I can’t believe how good it actually is .

I'm hitting probably 70% of fairways or higher on some days .

You should think about taking a look at one.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

To echo @Kenny B, it shouldn't be too surprising that after 1000's of shots across a spectrum of testers they all average out about the same. Every manufacturer builds them to maximum face speed, that parameter hasn't changed in a long time.

That said, for an individual tester, there will be a much much bigger difference. A single tester could see multiple strokes per round difference between clubs that on average have fractions of strokes on the overall. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I currently play a Titleist 917D2 with a Fujikura Tour Speeder Pro 64 and love the accuracy and distance.  Approaching the ripe young age of 75 in September, this big dog has been good to me.  Striping it fairly well of late.  Tried the new TSi3 with the same shaft and picked up ten additional yards.  Did not think that would be possible.  Did not do that well when the TS clubs came out in 2018, only picked up 3 yards and of course, did not make that jump.  Cannot wait for the TSi3 to arrive and put it in action on the course.  Course response will be much different from being fitted indoors on trackman.  Feel it has more distance in it, of course, depending on conditions.  The TSi heads are one great club, if your fitter puts the right shaft with them and mine is awesome.  Titleist certified and over 25 years of experience.   The aerodynamics on this head provides some extra pop.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Well from a pure mathematical approach Stroke gained seems the way to go now. I consider that stats to be like the equivalent of .WHIP for pitcher or .OPS for batter  in baseball. For non baseball fan, WHIP = walk + hit per innings pitch, basically tell me how many players the pitcher put on base every innings and OPS = on base percentage + slugging.

Stroke gained seems to be a combination of a few stats that can give you a good head start when looking for decent clubs / analyze how you play.

On my arccos they use that stats to "caddie" me. If often suggest me a club that I can't even reach the green distance wise but will fall short in front, will chip and putt instead of trying to land on the green in regulation and miss the green and be in trouble. I see if I use my 52 I have a stoke gained of -0.2 and if I use my underwedge I have a stroke gained of -0.4.