TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pro Ball Marks

I don't mark my balls much anymore.  I tried the dots as a focal point (eye on the ball) technique and a line (back when alignment marks were not the norm), but no so much these days. The Maxfli Tour/Tour X and AlignXL ProV1's I tested came with my name and MGS handle respectively.  I'm keeping one of each for the growing ball collection.  Most of the pro's mark their balls and this link shares some of their markings. Golf Ball Markings: How Do Pros Mark Their Golf Balls? - Team Titleist 

But this got me wondering why they don't have professional marking services (such as golfballs.com) put their names, initials or other personalized marks on them?  Perhaps that's against the rules?  With as many balls as they use and largely at no cost, I would think they'd just have them pre-marked.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Unless you're like Bryson and you have your caddie float-test and then mark each ball based on CoG. But if an OEM did that, they'd basically be admitting that there were quality concerns with their balls 🧐

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Maxfli’s Tour ball does mark and align the CoG. Align the arrow on the ball toward target on the tee.  I was skeptical at first but it works. Less expensive premium ball too. 

Driver: Cobra BioCell+ stiff 10.5

4W: Callaway XR 16 stiff

3H-4H: Ping G25 stiff 

5-PW, U: Ping i200 steel regular 

SW: Ping Glide 2.0 steel wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey #7 Fang 

You can get the alignment arrows on custom Titleist balls when you order them, in addition to the single line that is standard on their balls.  Not a fan of the lines but I order custom numbers with a blue "Z" buy three get four dozen offer during the spring.  I use the line on my Newport 2 putter to line up my ball. 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I use custom play number balls instead of marking them individually. The only drawback I’ve found is when hitting a provisional, as it can be difficult to differentiate between balls. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

On 6/5/2021 at 1:54 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I don't mark my balls much anymore.  I tried the dots as a focal point (eye on the ball) technique and a line (back when alignment marks were not the norm), but no so much these days. The Maxfli Tour/Tour X and AlignXL ProV1's I tested came with my name and MGS handle respectively.  I'm keeping one of each for the growing ball collection.  Most of the pro's mark their balls and this link shares some of their markings. Golf Ball Markings: How Do Pros Mark Their Golf Balls? - Team Titleist 

But this got me wondering why they don't have professional marking services (such as golfballs.com) put their names, initials or other personalized marks on them?  Perhaps that's against the rules?  With as many balls as they use and largely at no cost, I would think they'd just have them pre-marked.

One time I noticed Tiger had his name stamped on his ball. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

14 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

One time I noticed Tiger had his name stamped on his ball. 

So did JT

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

37 minutes ago, greggarner said:

That’s funny. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I use a cheap marker off Amazon and 2 sharpies. Quite easy to spot at least part of the markings when checking it's my ball on the wrong fairway🤣 :

20210121_104939.jpg.4bd62e502d307891e04e23ac3e7690bd.jpg

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

I do like the personalization with my name on it to ensure no one hits my ball and I don't hit theirs.  Most balls have it available for a price, but if you look for it on special it might be included.  I used to use 7 small purple dots all over my ball, cause no one marks it like that and you can see it no matter how the ball is sitting.  The number of ProV1s with a black dot near the logo that I come across is crazy!  I play Vice pro soft and ProV1 that both offer personalization.  

With regards to alignment lines, I do think it is a great idea in theory.  Line up your line, match up your putter and stroke it down that line.  It helps from peeking for sure.  The downside is, if you line it up behind as you look at the putt, then stand over it, some times the view looks different from what you lined up as you look back and forth to the hole.  The brings in doubt, which is terrible in putting.  You want to commit to the line.  Also, if you play with a reasonably fast group, it can get a little tense to continue to move the line 2 degrees and move back to look at it.  If that is an issue, you really need to develop a routine that you get that done while others are putting or chipping.  

No ad here, but take a look at the concept behind "Trident ball marker".  Pretty interesting concept.

Lots of times I go to the Nicklaus method where (like on full shots), you pick a spot about 12 inches in front of the ball that lines up your ball and line you want to go on. (no mark on the ball) and then set you eyes to ensure it matches up.  Then just roll it over that spot.  I am a big fan of subconscious putting.  let the computer brain do the work!

Cheers Tigger

On 6/9/2021 at 8:02 PM, korsmot said:

The number of ProV1s with a black dot near the logo that I come across is crazy! 

Yes but where is that one black dot?? 😉

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:54 AM, fixyurdivot said:

As far as I understand the rules ( and I will mess up the verbiage) but it has to have a unique mark in order to identify. So while Tiger has "Tiger" on his bridgestones he still has to mark each one to be able to identify that it was actually the ball he hit. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

As far as I understand the rules ( and I will mess up the verbiage) but it has to have a unique mark in order to identify. So while Tiger has "Tiger" on his bridgestones he still has to mark each one to be able to identify that it was actually the ball he hit. 

Do tree bruises and cart path rash marks count? If so, I've got this ball ID mark ting covered 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I used to only use an Orange sharpie to put lines and crosses on my balls, but NOONE (not a single person) ever said "I found it, is it the one with Orange on it?"  It was always red to everyone else.  So, I finally bought a pack of assorted color sharpies, and now I don't hit the same color for a provisional.

E70BDD52-ACB3-4327-BF12-4464B939ACF0.jpeg

7D2AC208-1AD6-4175-86F0-6FDE147CB319.jpeg

Edited by M. Parsons
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I haven't trained my brain yet to use the OEMs alignment line when putting. I prefer to see mostly white, and determine the line of the putt, set the putter to the target line and then build my stance around the putter. As far as an ID marking though, I've gone to a simple green dot/black dot on each side to mimic my initials 'G B'.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

16 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

There actually is no requirement to put an identifying mark on the ball.  Additionally Tigers name stamped on the ball can be used as an identifying mark.  The issue only comes into play if identical balls are found in the same area and you are unable to tell them apart.  See rule 7.2 that I pasted below.  

I do recall an instance when I was at an LPGA tournament about no marking. On the first tee players show their balls and markings to each other.  One of the player played a specific number colored Volvik ball with no markings that she felt was unique.   Morgan Pressel basically called her out and said that wasn’t really acceptable because she couldn’t positively identify the ball and prove it wasn’t one that was found.    While the rules do allow no marking it would potentially raise questions if identification was needed  

7.2 How to Identify Ball

A player’s ball at rest may be identified in any one of these ways:

• By the player or anyone else seeing a ball come to rest in circumstances where it is known to be the player’s ball.

• By seeing the player’s identifying mark on the ball (see Rule 6.3a).

• By finding a ball with the same brand, model, number and condition as the player’s ball in an area where the player’s ball is expected to be (but this does not apply if an identical ball is in the same area and there is no way to know which one is the player’s ball).

If a player’s provisional ball cannot be distinguished from his or her original ball, see Rule 18.3c(2).

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, korsmot said:

I do like the personalization with my name on it to ensure no one hits my ball and I don't hit theirs.  Most balls have it available for a price, but if you look for it on special it might be included.  I used to use 7 small purple dots all over my ball, cause no one marks it like that and you can see it no matter how the ball is sitting.  The number of ProV1s with a black dot near the logo that I come across is crazy!  I play Vice pro soft and ProV1 that both offer personalization.  

With regards to alignment lines, I do think it is a great idea in theory.  Line up your line, match up your putter and stroke it down that line.  It helps from peeking for sure.  The downside is, if you line it up behind as you look at the putt, then stand over it, some times the view looks different from what you lined up as you look back and forth to the hole.  The brings in doubt, which is terrible in putting.  You want to commit to the line.  Also, if you play with a reasonably fast group, it can get a little tense to continue to move the line 2 degrees and move back to look at it.  If that is an issue, you really need to develop a routine that you get that done while others are putting or chipping.  

No ad here, but take a look at the concept behind "Trident ball marker".  Pretty interesting concept.

Lots of times I go to the Nicklaus method where (like on full shots), you pick a spot about 12 inches in front of the ball that lines up your ball and line you want to go on. (no mark on the ball) and then set you eyes to ensure it matches up.  Then just roll it over that spot.  I am a big fan of subconscious putting.  let the computer brain do the work!

Cheers Tigger

I use a line for alignment and it actually helps me to NOT second guess or doubt my putt. Once I get over it I no longer worry about read or break and only putting to my picked out spot speed wise. And I think it actually helps my pace as well. Routine is...

• Start to read my putt as I approach the green
  • Mark ball
  • Step behind and crouch to read putt
  • Replace ball, small step back to double check line
  • Stand over, one practice stroke
  • Let it go

All in all from the time I approach my ball to striking the putt is about 40 seconds if I'm first to putt, probably closer to 15-20 if I'm able to go through most of routine while others are putting. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX