TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chisag's Tip Of The Day #22

So very true.  I agree wholeheartedly and appreciate you making me feel better about topping my 4W off the tee yesterday on my way to shooting a 78 on a very tough course. Obviously, the rest of my game pretty much held up to my present 5.0 index, but boy, did I want to run and hide when THAT happened. I felt like I was looking like a 25+ handicapper to the group behind who were waiting on the tee. What really frustrated me about the incident, was not so much that I topped the shot, but that I was playing fairly well until then, at even par over the last 6 holes and I had just birdied the prior hole (my 2nd bird of the day, btw). Of course, they likely saw none of that earlier fine play. No, they just show up for my miscue, which I will now, most likely remember (and need therapy) for years to come.

This game is hard, no matter how good you are or think you are.

Edited by DougE
spelling

Titleist TSi3 Driver/TSI2 3W/TSI3 20*H

Titleist U500 4i/T200 5-PW/Vokey SM8 48/54/60

Scotty Newport 2 Select

... I feel your pain. My last round I was going to hit a cut with my new Sim2 Max 3 wood after being 1 under through my first 4 holes and just came up and out, topping the ball into a bush short of the fairway on a VERY easy hole. Hacked out but still unable to reach the green about 280 away, but I got the ball close enough to get up and down for a bogy on a birdie hole. Just a really silly mistake and came from not really given the shot the concentration it deserved. It happens... but the takeaway should be I made 4 from the bush and not think about the topped shot off the tee. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My competition round on Wednesday was a perfect indication of why I carry a USGA Handicap Index of 14+ right now.  I started out great, going par-bogey-par-par-birdie-par. Even par through the first six holes - nice! (or so I thought).  I immediately proceeded to double-bogey the 7th hole (a tough par-4 with a forced carry of about 100 yards over water just short of the green) because I compounded a rather poorly executed layup from a sidehill lie that I left myself with a slightly pulled 4-wood off the tee with a truly bad 9-iron shot into the green -- or, at least it was supposed to hit the green. I then parred hole #8 but added another double-bogey on #9.  Still, 4-over on the front nine is not too bad considering my index.  Then came the back nine, where there were just a few too many holes that I played similarly to #7 and #9 on the front.  The end result was that I shot 86 -- right on my handicap -- when I could easily have shot in the upper 70s to 80 if I had kept my mind focused on every shot and played a bit more strategically on a handful of holes.

Still, I won my match and my team won 16.5 - 13.5 in an away match, and I was pretty happy about that.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, chisag said:

... The best way to play this game and continue to get better is concentrate on the positives in your game. Love them, enjoy them, believe you can repeat them.  Accept the negatives as things you can work on and turn into positives.

Thank you for this!!!!!

This is EXACTLY where I need to re-orient my mind / attitude / thinking / head towards. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg