TESTERS WANTED! ×

Low spin premium balls.

Ball companies have been introducing low spin premium balls lately. I wonder how much the player is giving up on short shots. It would be interesting to see data showing the difference on shots around the green where spin is helpful, for example after short siding an approach shot. 
    I also can’t help thinking about the contrast between now and when I started playing 30 years ago. Back then, good players wanted nothing to do with low spinning hard balls. Of course, modern construction techniques give more short game spin than the old rock flights, but it’s still less than wound balatas had. 
     An interesting tidbit:  Ben Hogan in an interview toward the end of his life said if he was a tour player at the time, he would play a 2 piece ball. The interviewer was shocked but Hogan refused to elaborate. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I consider myself a high spin player, and now play Clear Tour Blacks. They are high launch/low spin off the driver, but more spin off the irons. As long as the spin on your scoring clubs does not get too out of hand try to have as much spin as possible.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

On 6/6/2021 at 10:52 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

Ball companies have been introducing low spin premium balls lately. I wonder how much the player is giving up on short shots. It would be interesting to see data showing the difference on shots around the green where spin is helpful, for example after short siding an approach shot. 
    I also can’t help thinking about the contrast between now and when I started playing 30 years ago. Back then, good players wanted nothing to do with low spinning hard balls. Of course, modern construction techniques give more short game spin than the old rock flights, but it’s still less than wound balatas had. 
     An interesting tidbit:  Ben Hogan in an interview toward the end of his life said if he was a tour player at the time, he would play a 2 piece ball. The interviewer was shocked but Hogan refused to elaborate. 

Unfortunately Hogan was suffering from dementia during his latter years. Several tour players who knew him well have talked about his state of mind towards the end of his life.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag
Ping G400 Max 12.0˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
XXIO 5w, 7w, 5h, 6h, MP900 Graphite R-Flex
Callaway Apex '21 Forged 6-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 F3
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour Black, LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip
Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I prefer a lower spin ball, helps me off the tee. I have been trying to adjust my game around the green, putting a lot more off the fairway/fringe and running the ball to the green. I have been trialing a lot of different balls but have been enjoying the chrome soft as of late. 

For me I feel like the AVX has a lower flight than a ProV1, but they honestly have similar stopping power off of the wedge for me. Neither go too far from the ball mark on the greens with mid irons either. Long iron AVX stays lower with more roll, but I hit it straighter. I do like a lower trajectory ball, because my flight is too high anyway, and any help I can get is always good. 

AVX is, in my opinion, the best low spin premium ball. Chromesoft X LS was not as good a performer as the standard X. I like to play a two ball and put them head to head over 9 holes. 

I usually find that I prefer 3 piece balls. The AVX is the exception.

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, Chevelle said:

I use a Taylormade TP5x for lower spin. Works great and I am hitting more fairways off the tee. 

looking to try the PROV1 left dash

the no putts given pod cast has a high opinion of them. 

left dash is a beast off the driver.....longest ball ive ever hit by 15 yards.....no joke....i was shocked when i hit it......the only issue i have is stopping it out of the sand, or 50 yards and in......its a very firm, clicky ball but it flies when you hit it flush.....

try it out. if you love distance off the tee and lomng irons but dont mind a real firm feel, this ball is for you

Golf is cool

On 6/11/2021 at 6:44 AM, Tin Cup2 said:

Unfortunately Hogan was suffering from dementia during his latter years. Several tour players who knew him well have talked about his state of mind towards the end of his life.

and you think that is refleted in his statement of playing a 2 piece ball?

Golf is cool

37 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

left dash is a beast off the driver.....longest ball ive ever hit by 15 yards.....no joke....i was shocked when i hit it......the only issue i have is stopping it out of the sand, or 50 yards and in......its a very firm, clicky ball but it flies when you hit it flush.....

try it out. if you love distance off the tee and lomng irons but dont mind a real firm feel, this ball is for you

Wow - That much longer?  I just received a dozen, but waiting for the South Florida rain to ease up so I can try them.

Thank you for the insight and hit them straight!

34 minutes ago, Landy said:

Wow - That much longer?  I just received a dozen, but waiting for the South Florida rain to ease up so I can try them.

Thank you for the insight and hit them straight!

Yes......of course you have to hit it flush and all that.....if you toe it or thin it, it flies just like any other ball.....

but catch it on the sweet spot?......

usually I am a guy who hits it just as far or relatively close to people i play with....2 weeks ago i was hitting my driver well, and was watching the other three guys hit their 2nd shots before me ....it was funny to hear thier comments.....

The ball is really firm but plays better than i thought around the green....but not optimal for short game spin...you have to account for more roll out......its not the perect ball for all around unless you generate lots of spin 50 yards and in, but its better than i ever imagined

good luck with it

Golf is cool

On 6/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, Landy said:

I have read the Bridgestone Tour B RX is the lowest spinning of their range.  

I would have assumed it would have been the Tour B X...

The newer bxs has lower spin off the driver now. It used to be a higher spin ball off the driver until it was modified per Tigers request. When i tested it, my driver spin was ~ 2500 but shockingly my driver spin with the BX was 100 rpms higher....

The new TP5x has become a real good all around ball. with 91 compression (Same as prov1) and being a low spinner off the driver....I just tested it at 2000 rpms off the driver ......When i moved to left dash i was in love with the driver distance i picked up over the avx but as ive said, its hard to control in my short game

Im hoping the new TP5X is the magic sauce....a 90 compression ball with low driver spin but good short game spin....some say this is the most improved ball of 2021......

ill know in the next few weeks as i put it into play later this week

Golf is cool