TESTERS WANTED! ×

New irons!

pooley7

Now that's the hardest part... waiting...

Congratz on the purchase, I see Mizuno, I upvote! 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I went for MMC's in November.....great choice! I might go HMB in the long one's after this season.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

I am 68 years old and a 16.6 HDCP currently. Seven years ago I went to Cool Clubs for custom fitting and have been pretty pleased with the clubs, though several years ago, at significant expense, I pulled the 7 wood (Callaway X2 Hot)and the 6 iron (T/M Speed Blade) and added a 3 hybrid and 6 hybrid, matching the expensive shaft and model of club. About a year ago, due to a slower swing speed (about 80 mph now vs about 87 seven years ago), I went to Club Champion and got fitted for a Maverick (14 degree setup), which has helped regain some lost yardage, average about 218 off tee with it. Seven years ago, my hybrids were fitted with stiff shafts. On a whim, unlike me, I just ordered a set of Cleveland Turbo Launcher hybrid irons with senior shafts (4-GW). Since I went from 4, 5 and 6 hybrids to hybrid irons, those three clubs are 1 1/2 inches shorter!  Thus, I am now a full club shorter, which is NOT what I am after. And the other irons 7-GW are a half inch shorter so at best I am same distance with those, actually maybe five yards shorter with each. I have paid for a full fitting at Club Champion (as Covid hit early last year) so think I’ll proceed with completing that since my self-diagnosing hasn’t worked out as well as hoped. I will fess up to Club Champion but the performance they have to beat is the previous set, not the hybrid irons. I hit 72% of FW’s YTD after 61 rounds, but only 22% of greens. I am a poor chipper and a decent putter. Other than the distance loss, I like the hybrid irons. I am a poor FW wood player, but have a very tight dispersion with hybrids. Currently carrying driver, 3 and 4 hybrids (from old set (Callaway X2Hot, stiff shafts), hybrid irons 4-GW, putter and my old LW and GW (mostly fir bunker play. Does anyone have any advice or counsel?  I have thought of just going to Roger Dunn and spending a load of money simply getting a quality senior shaft that is longer but that again is self-diagnosing. Age eventually gets all of us but I intend to have the best equipment for my game, whatever level it is. Thanks!

I find the 2 degrees weak interesting and refreshing considering so many "std" lofts are stronger and stronger.  Did you work off of a target stock yardage by club to get to that? 

Epic Flash 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with X-stiff hzrdus yellow

Epic Flash 3W with stiff Tensei Blue.

Apex 19 3 hybrid with catalyst 6.0

Apex 19 4 hybrid with TT tour elevate stiff steel (my favorite creation) 

Apex Pro irons 5-PW with TT tour elevate stiff steel

Jaws MD5 50 S grind S200

Jaws MD5 54 W grind tour elevate stiff (great for the soft Missouri turf; this is my dart throwing club)

PM Grind 60 KBS tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2022 (Went through SAM lab fitting and this nailed it; replaced the O-Works Jailbird-mini red)

David LPS,

I emphasize with your pain....

Probably most aging, mid-high handicappers, would too.  

as our swings and bodies and muscles change...  😞

ultra-detailed fittings--- well, I wish they'd provide a definitive answer,

but even if so temporarily, that probably changes in 6 months.

Be happy that you can keep enjoying golf.

Cherish the birdies and try not to get too down on yourself for missing that sweet spot.

mike  

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

David LPS- in the same boat age wise. If you can find an adjustable hybrid set that you like, like the Big Bertha 19, you can order new weaker shafts in a couple of years and keep the clubheads. I ended up ordering women's clubs on the preowned site and then appropriate shafts for my wife and I, and that came out way cheaper than ordering the mens clubs. In a few years when I go to softer shafts, can just order the shaft.

You can use this for a lot of things as well. Are you not comfortable with FW because of the shaft length? You can buy shorter shafts and just screw them in.

Hope this helps.

Don

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

30 minutes ago, mywong23 said:

David LPS,

I emphasize with your pain....

Probably most aging, mid-high handicappers, would too.  

as our swings and bodies and muscles change...  😞

ultra-detailed fittings--- well, I wish they'd provide a definitive answer,

but even if so temporarily, that probably changes in 6 months.

Be happy that you can keep enjoying golf.

Cherish the birdies and try not to get too down on yourself for missing that sweet spot.

mike  

Thanks Mike!  Yes indeed, I feel lucky to be able to golf as much as I do. And pretty healthy, thank God, other than the every other week chiropractor visit, a small price to pay. 

17 minutes ago, Beakbryce said:

David LPS- in the same boat age wise. If you can find an adjustable hybrid set that you like, like the Big Bertha 19, you can order new weaker shafts in a couple of years and keep the clubheads. I ended up ordering women's clubs on the preowned site and then appropriate shafts for my wife and I, and that came out way cheaper than ordering the mens clubs. In a few years when I go to softer shafts, can just order the shaft.

You can use this for a lot of things as well. Are you not comfortable with FW because of the shaft length? You can buy shorter shafts and just screw them in.

Hope this helps.

Don

Yes Don, I guess it is the length of the FW shafts. But I know shorter shafts likely means shorter distance. So after the driver, maybe the 180-185 that I get out of the 3 hybrid is the best I can realistically get. Though if the ball is on a slight incline, I get an extra 5-10 yards from it. As I mentioned, I like the look and feel of the hybrid set, but need the little longer shafts. 

Pooley7 I feel for you. The wait is unbearable. I ordered new Mizuno irons also this spring from a small shop here in Columbus, Ohio and still waiting. I got fitted for the JPX921 Hot Metal Pros. Can’t wait to get them. I’m sure they know my phone number by heart by now. Even called the factory (don’t bother…doesn’t help, but they were nice)

2 hours ago, Nj2StL said:

I find the 2 degrees weak interesting and refreshing considering so many "std" lofts are stronger and stronger.  Did you work off of a target stock yardage by club to get to that? 

I’m not looking for increased distance, but I’m getting it, by about one club.

So the main purpose of the 2 degrees weak is to try to reign in the distance a bit. With the added bonus of more bounce, less offset and hopefully some added spin.

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

1 hour ago, Joefreddy said:

Pooley7 I feel for you. The wait is unbearable. I ordered new Mizuno irons also this spring from a small shop here in Columbus, Ohio and still waiting. I got fitted for the JPX921 Hot Metal Pros. Can’t wait to get them. I’m sure they know my phone number by heart by now. Even called the factory (don’t bother…doesn’t help, but they were nice)

Good choice. I knew when I ordered them that I’d be in for a wait and hope that you were too.

The good news is that, at the end of the day, we’ll have a brand new set of Mizunos one day soon(ish)

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

3 hours ago, pooley7 said:

I’m not looking for increased distance, but I’m getting it, by about one club.

So the main purpose of the 2 degrees weak is to try to reign in the distance a bit. With the added bonus of more bounce, less offset and hopefully some added spin.

With my most recent MB purchase I also bent the forgings 2 degrees weak; less offset, added bounce. I desire a proper gapping between clubs, max distance is not what I want, but knowing that a distance is covered by a club I swing well. One club fitter did not agree with my preferred club setup. I like to soft step a X100 steel iron shaft and swing weight at D6, better feel for the club head and the added weight flexes the shaft a hairline more. I have tried S400 with D2 - D3 swing weight but just do not feel the club as well.

Nice choice. When I was fit for mine, we tried a combo set like that but the HMBs flew a bit high, so ended up with all MMCs.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

17 hours ago, DavidLPS said:

Yes Don, I guess it is the length of the FW shafts. But I know shorter shafts likely means shorter distance. So after the driver, maybe the 180-185 that I get out of the 3 hybrid is the best I can realistically get. Though if the ball is on a slight incline, I get an extra 5-10 yards from it. As I mentioned, I like the look and feel of the hybrid set, but need the little longer shafts. 

It doesn't necessarily mean less distance.  We all have our own point of diminishing returns on club length, where increasing it does nothing, or even hurts your swingspeed.

Which is how I have my drivers at 43.25" to 43.5" these days.  Lead tape is my friend.

This is independent of contact quality.  If your ability to center the ball on the clubface improves, there's potential for increased distance.

There's really only one way to find out how it works out for you.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft