TESTERS WANTED! ×

how often do you use 58* for partial shots?

16 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

When I had my free fitting at True Spec I was fit into that 54F grind as well, but they said 58D for me... I guess I dig a little.

I loved the way the F grind and high bounce got through the turf and moved my strike point lower.  Just gave me tons of spin and control.  I feel the same way when I hit the MIM Black 52* with the 12* bounce Classic Grind.  Visually I think it's narrower than the Vokey, but more rounded and seems to perform the same for me.  Then my 56* Versatile grind can really be opened up and used anywhere.  I think those two would be a really good comp to what you have in the bag now.

Ha! Agree with you 100% there ... it's crazy how much more spin I get with the 54* as opposed to the 58*, did fail to mention that.

Been dragging my feet on wedge purchases until MGS comes out with their Most Wanted Wedge review, hopefully sometime soon. And at the same time, I'm intrigued by Maltby wedges as well.  

14 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The T20s and Ping Glides have me curious.  I'm almost always a homer for Vokey's, but the wet wedge testing MGS has done has me thinking.

That makes two of us with respects to being Vokey homers and an early morning golfer. It's exactly why the other 3 have the T20 in their bags. Nothing like a 6:48am tee time for our Sunday course for all of June and July! 

Edited by mikeanthony

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

15 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

That makes two of us with respects to being Vokey homers and an early morning golfer. It's exactly why the other 3 have the T20 in their bags. Nothing like a 6:48am tee time for our Sunday course for all of June and July!

I remember the first non-set wedge I ever bought (2003 ish) was in the pro shop at this golf course in Japan, and I knew nothing about bounce, I just saw this Oil Can Vokey and had to have it...it was a 60.04 and I had only been playing for a year or so.  I loved that wedge, so I bought a 56.12 as well, and I couldn't hit that thing to save my life.  In 2010 I sold those 2 Vokeys and bought some off brand wedges that I didn't even know what the bounce was, but I worked with them until last year when I got the SM8's...and I don't think I'll ever have anything other than Vokeys from here on out. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I use my 58 for almost everything inside 90 yards. The exceptions are a bump and run shot I play with a 7i and I use my 54 out of bunkers. My 58 only has 4 bounce so it's easy to blade things out of the sand, the 54 has 10 and cuts right under the ball.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

58* turned to 59*. Full shot 100y. 50y half swing. Flop shots. It's my lowest bounce wedge.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I used my 58° 15 times today.  Twice on one hole.  I use it from 120-0.  But it is my stock 100 yard club.  The 52° is useless, at least on the current course I play, I rarely use it, and when I should have been drinking a Dos Equis… really thinking about adding a 62/64° wedge for a 70-80 yard full shots. 

I have a PING Glide WS 58, and it is not very versatile around the greens, especially with my setup.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:37 AM, Kansas King said:

I run a 60* and use it with great frequency inside 50 yards. I rarely take a full swing with it as it's easy to start losing control but around the greens it's money. It really depends on what shot I'm using it for and how much green I have to work with. I'm generally confident in my ability to hit low spinny shots and high flop shots using the bounce on the wedge around the green. If I'm not feeling confident, I will use my 56* when possible. I highly recommend the PM grind wedges from Callaway for high lofted wedges. The amount of bounce and sole grind along with the full face grooves makes it so versatile and forgiving. Full face grooves may look weird but they really can save your bacon on shots out and up on the toe.

I strongly recommend that anyone who wants to get good with a wedge should really try learning to use and understand the bounce of a wedge. Once you understand how to properly use the bounce, you will find confidence in virtually every shot you take around the green and there won't be any wedge loft that scares you. It took me a long time before I really understood how to use the bounce and it is kind of a "feel" shot. However, once you get it figured out, you got it. 

I have the '19 PM Grind 54º and 60º.  Love these full face wedges!  The 60º is my club for most shots inside 50 yards, including bunkers since it's a high bounce LW.  I will use the 54º out to 80 yards, but only occasionally.  It's usually my long bunker club and for thick rough.  

I agree that the bounce on these clubs seems rather unique to most wedges.  I heard the people love them or hate them.  I love them.  I find it very easy to hit my 60º with 12º of bounce off tight lies in the fairway and around the green.  On our par 3 #4 hole which is really two small green sections offset next to each other, it's possible to be in the wrong section; I've hit my 60º off the green over a mound of rough to the pin.  Not something I like to do, but it's the only way to get the ball close to the hole... stupid course designer!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Recently saw a post that your most lofted club you should only hit 60-70% of full swing, next lowest only hit 80-90% full swing. Havent had a chance to try it but as @juspoolesaid I am big into 1/2, 3/4 and full "feels" and finding the distance that goes.

I'd be interested to read that post, I'm not sure I agree with it.  I don't mind at all making a comfortable-full swing with even my most lofted wedge.  That's not an all-out swing, but not far off, and that consistent swing effort gives me reasonable gaps between those clubs.  If I was to take 65% of a 60* wedge, I might have a 20 yard (maybe more) gap between that and 85% with a 56* wedge.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd be interested to read that post, I'm not sure I agree with it.  I don't mind at all making a comfortable-full swing with even my most lofted wedge.  That's not an all-out swing, but not far off, and that consistent swing effort gives me reasonable gaps between those clubs.  If I was to take 65% of a 60* wedge, I might have a 20 yard (maybe more) gap between that and 85% with a 56* wedge.  

I don't necessarily agree with him. But I think this is specifically catered to a very wide audience. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I used to use my most lofted wedge for almost everything within its comfortable full swing range.

I've since started to try using my 52* if at all possible, then my 56* if I need more loft, then my 60* only when it's a more demanding situation or greenside bunker.

This seems to be working well for me, and is sort of in line with what Andrew Rice was talking about, while not being exactly the same.

I know plenty of people who are more comfortable using their LW for all of that stuff though.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I know plenty of people who are more comfortable using their LW for all of that stuff though. 

If I remember right, Jack Nicklaus said he used his SW for almost all short game shots, while others used multiple clubs based on minimizing carry and maximizing roll-out for a particular shot.  I'm a "one primary club" guy for the most part, but there certainly are time where I'll use less loft when there's very little carry required.    

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If I remember right, Jack Nicklaus said he used his SW for almost all short game shots, while others used multiple clubs based on minimizing carry and maximizing roll-out for a particular shot.  I'm a "one primary club" guy for the most part, but there certainly are time where I'll use less loft when there's very little carry required.    

Yeah I played for many years where my 58* was more comfortable to me than a GW or SW around the green.  The biggest change is probably that I am no really comfortable with my 52* so I default to that unless the circumstances require that I take more loft.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think this is a great point. I often think one of the biggest problems for us amateur golfers is to find the best results for each different situation.

1 minute ago, tchat07 said:

I think this is a great point. I often think one of the biggest problems for us amateur golfers is to find the best results for each different situation.

I know I'm better at visualizing the arc, carry distance, and roll-out of a shot for a single club, varying the set-up and swing intensity.  Others might prefer to make pretty much the same  address and swing while with multiple clubs, understanding the carry and roll will vary accordingly.  I think the best of all worlds is to be able to use all of the potential methods well.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I dropped my LW from my bag....at least for now....it was done more to put in another longer hybrid, but I haven't really missed it.  For any shot where I'd be thinking LW, I just take the SW.  Although, one drawback is that the SW has more bounce than the LW (in my case), but I've been able to deal with that effectively.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Find one club that you can lean on, but have others available as an option. There is no doubt my 59* is the most used club in my bag sans putter. However anytime I have a chip/pitch shot I take both 59 & 55 to the ball and sometimes 50. Landing spot, height and roll all figure in but what I have found is that the lie will have the biggest influence on which club I use. I could have the same exact shot on 2 different holes, with different lies and it will be 2 different clubs. For reference I play a super low bounce 59 and a higher bounce 55. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

@Timmytoe I wanted to thank you for starting this thread...it really got me to thinking more about which wedge is better for me to use from different distances and/or lies. I found myself being more conscious of my wedge shot selection during my last round, and I felt like my short game improved slightly from the previous outing.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I use it for most partial wedge shots coming into the green, I love it from say 20 to 60 yards, and will use it for fuller swings as well.  The one time I don't use it is when the pin is way back in the green.  Then I will generally take a gap wedge and try to skip it back there with a little less spin.  Just seems safer to fly it short of the hole and let it release a bit, if you overcook a back pin you run a big risk of short siding your self.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

This has been an interesting thread to read through - cool to see all the different approaches that people take. My 58 is the go-to, most used club in my bag other than the putter. I probably use it for 90% of my shots under 95 yards.

If I am dealing with rough wind, a steep upslope/super fluffy lie, a longer bunker shot, or a tough lie chip that calls for some type of bump & run, I will go 54* (52* MIM Black if I am rocking my 3 wedge setup), but other than that I am pulling the 58 and not thinking twice. I even bought a backup SM7 when they went on sale so that I could have the exact same wedge for years to come.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

My 58 gets the most use from 90 yards and in. I may pull out another around he green depending on how much run I have but the 58 is the go-to from that distance. I love my 58. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

My LW is 60 degrees. It maxes out around 80 yards but I would never hit it more than 60-70 which is what I consider a full swing. It is used for greenside shots when I can't use a bump and run or lower chip. I would estimate 5% or less of all swings are close to a full swing because blading it 50 yards over the green is not worth the risk. It is mostly used from 20-40 yards after missing a green when there is minimal room for rollout.  

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have a 60 LW and I won't hit it from outside 40yards... mainly do to the fact that I tend to get way too underneath the ball and throw way to much backspin and usually end up short outside 40. For shot inside 40 it's my bread and butter. Usually within 10-15ft of the pin... 40 to 80 yards I use a 56 then I switch to pitching ...

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!