how often do you use 58* for partial shots?

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I know plenty of people who are more comfortable using their LW for all of that stuff though. 

If I remember right, Jack Nicklaus said he used his SW for almost all short game shots, while others used multiple clubs based on minimizing carry and maximizing roll-out for a particular shot.  I'm a "one primary club" guy for the most part, but there certainly are time where I'll use less loft when there's very little carry required.    

• Like 5

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If I remember right, Jack Nicklaus said he used his SW for almost all short game shots, while others used multiple clubs based on minimizing carry and maximizing roll-out for a particular shot.  I'm a "one primary club" guy for the most part, but there certainly are time where I'll use less loft when there's very little carry required.    

Yeah I played for many years where my 58* was more comfortable to me than a GW or SW around the green.  The biggest change is probably that I am no really comfortable with my 52* so I default to that unless the circumstances require that I take more loft.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think this is a great point. I often think one of the biggest problems for us amateur golfers is to find the best results for each different situation.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, tchat07 said:

I think this is a great point. I often think one of the biggest problems for us amateur golfers is to find the best results for each different situation.

I know I'm better at visualizing the arc, carry distance, and roll-out of a shot for a single club, varying the set-up and swing intensity.  Others might prefer to make pretty much the same  address and swing while with multiple clubs, understanding the carry and roll will vary accordingly.  I think the best of all worlds is to be able to use all of the potential methods well.  

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I dropped my LW from my bag....at least for now....it was done more to put in another longer hybrid, but I haven't really missed it.  For any shot where I'd be thinking LW, I just take the SW.  Although, one drawback is that the SW has more bounce than the LW (in my case), but I've been able to deal with that effectively.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Find one club that you can lean on, but have others available as an option. There is no doubt my 59* is the most used club in my bag sans putter. However anytime I have a chip/pitch shot I take both 59 & 55 to the ball and sometimes 50. Landing spot, height and roll all figure in but what I have found is that the lie will have the biggest influence on which club I use. I could have the same exact shot on 2 different holes, with different lies and it will be 2 different clubs. For reference I play a super low bounce 59 and a higher bounce 55. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

@Timmytoe I wanted to thank you for starting this thread...it really got me to thinking more about which wedge is better for me to use from different distances and/or lies. I found myself being more conscious of my wedge shot selection during my last round, and I felt like my short game improved slightly from the previous outing.

• Love 1
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I use it for most partial wedge shots coming into the green, I love it from say 20 to 60 yards, and will use it for fuller swings as well.  The one time I don't use it is when the pin is way back in the green.  Then I will generally take a gap wedge and try to skip it back there with a little less spin.  Just seems safer to fly it short of the hole and let it release a bit, if you overcook a back pin you run a big risk of short siding your self.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

This has been an interesting thread to read through - cool to see all the different approaches that people take. My 58 is the go-to, most used club in my bag other than the putter. I probably use it for 90% of my shots under 95 yards.

If I am dealing with rough wind, a steep upslope/super fluffy lie, a longer bunker shot, or a tough lie chip that calls for some type of bump & run, I will go 54* (52* MIM Black if I am rocking my 3 wedge setup), but other than that I am pulling the 58 and not thinking twice. I even bought a backup SM7 when they went on sale so that I could have the exact same wedge for years to come.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

My 58 gets the most use from 90 yards and in. I may pull out another around he green depending on how much run I have but the 58 is the go-to from that distance. I love my 58. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:bettinardi-small: Ben Hogan BHB5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

My LW is 60 degrees. It maxes out around 80 yards but I would never hit it more than 60-70 which is what I consider a full swing. It is used for greenside shots when I can't use a bump and run or lower chip. I would estimate 5% or less of all swings are close to a full swing because blading it 50 yards over the green is not worth the risk. It is mostly used from 20-40 yards after missing a green when there is minimal room for rollout.  

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler hybrids some combo of 2H-5H

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

:ping-small: G700 4i, Glide 2.0 54, 58*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have a 60 LW and I won't hit it from outside 40yards... mainly do to the fact that I tend to get way too underneath the ball and throw way to much backspin and usually end up short outside 40. For shot inside 40 it's my bread and butter. Usually within 10-15ft of the pin... 40 to 80 yards I use a 56 then I switch to pitching ...

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!