TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cut vs Callaway Ball Lab

I’m thoroughly confused on the ratings now… Callaway Chrome Soft X LS received a 72, Cut just got an 84. Zero percent of the Callaway balls were flagged as “bad”, 11% of Cut’s were flagged as bad. There was a 3% change in Callaway’s True Price, and a 13% change in the Cut True Price.

I am completely lost as to why Cut received a 12 point higher rating….. Is it just because it’s a “cheap” ball to start with??? I am lost. A373F929-D4DC-469D-B626-7492DC80F0AF.jpeg.7bc30e6a81c7609e0a9068fd485c77f2.jpegDF41FA98-54F5-48F1-82BB-94ECA0149EF5.jpeg.014eeb2ebb7446dd86c086058eb272b0.jpegF5B43182-4ED6-42CD-8126-576FC73129B9.jpeg.e5cb42eb47a6305be8a442eab14ead1e.jpeg44736168-29D2-45A9-BFB4-5415EB788DBD.jpeg.452ce209a7010d73bd99d27a2b5d785a.jpegD443D0AF-F514-48B6-B5E9-08E30C664F82.jpeg.b883575a2a3a1cb8727ea68312a293c0.jpeg0F5FEA74-B2FF-4844-9D9C-966400B2D01D.jpeg.7ad5b2a1afff50c3c2e00ffa305f9ecd.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

yeah was wondering the same too, I found that the 73 was a little low on the rating, don't know the rating system they are using but I would assume that a 50$ ball that don't have any major defect this time would have gotten a rating around 80 or so. Still wouldn't game the ball since I tend to buy used ball and last batch of chrome was awful. 

Would love to see the rating system explained in detail to reach that number, maybe it's legit, maybe it's bias toward callaway, we can't know until we see the math in general behind the rating. Maybe the rating is related to the price, who knows. 

after further review on the stat, seems to be a compression consistency problem. it score fair for the chrome vs good for the cut.

image.png.34b528c122a59217f2571a7b5a0a4462.png

I used paintbrush quickly added line around 97.5 and 102.5 to see how many would fall within the parameter.

Chrome have 1 way off, 4 others that could be considered problematic.

Cut have 3 that could be considered problematic.

if you use the median, cut have 10-11 that touch the median, chrome have 13-14 that touch the median...

Looking at the 2 graph for compression, cut seems better by a small margin... For 3 pts compression, chrome look a little better than cut cause Cut DC got 2 way off out there. Just looking at those stats, both are quite similar, one is worth 50$for a dozen, other is 30$

image.png.12f01dcfc17cc8ffef4dafb05929847c.png

The more I think, the more the rating is including the price of the ball in the calculation. You would expect more from 50$ / dozen ball for sure

2 hours ago, pouetvl said:

The more I think, the more the rating is including the price of the ball in the calculation. You would expect more from 50$ / dozen ball for sure

That would make sense, given the original calculation being "True Price" and how much you'd have to spend to get a good dozen. If the score is more of a 'value' score, then I'd like to see that more clearly articulated. That being said, I'd have to wonder about the CLEAR balls. If they were anything other than absolutely perfect, would they get absolutely slammed on their value score?

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I'm going to post this from the comments, directly from Tony.

"

Putting a total score on golf ball quality (or performance for that matter), is not a particularly natural thing to do…making it simple (out of 100) trickier still.

It simple for the casual observer, but if you’re serious about understanding how it comes together, it’s best to think of the elements (good ball% and the 3 consistency metrics) as separate things.

Good ball % makes up roughly 45% of the score. The rest is split almost evenly between the 3 consistency metrics. I say almost because compression is weighted a bit more because it’s effectively 2 separate metrics (consistency across the 3 points measured on each ball + consistency across the sample as a whole).

There is a bit of a curve (related to math, not price) as we want the best scores to be in the 90s.. Excellent ratings (the highest value) are theoretically possible, but highly unlikely we’ll see many. Excellent means 2 standard deviations above the database mean for a given metric – it’s an incredibly high standard.

So let’s talk about 2 specific examples.

First, the Cut DC. In terms of bad ball % it’s exactly average. Not awesome, not bad. Just average. Where math is concerned, most things fall within the average range.

Ratings for both compression and Weight each fell within the good range. (albeit just barely). It’s not excellent but it’s roughly a handful of points better than average.

Given that our system is dynamic (averages and subsequent ratings are updated each time a new ball is added), ratings for the Cut DC could drop a bit as balls are added. Likewise, the Pro V1 is just below the “good” threshold for Diameter, so it’s rating could improve as balls are added.

Looking at how the math comes together, the DC takes a hit for the 4 bad balls in the sample, but in terms of general consistency across the sample, it gets a boost for being better than the database average for compression and weight.

So what I would say is that the Cut DC balls are mostly alike, but you’re going to get a really bad ball once or twice per box.

Looking at it from the other side, a few questioned the ratings on the CSX LS because the good ball % was 97%. Basically, that means there was, individually, only a single disqualifying defect, but that metric doesn’t speak to consistency across the sample.

It got most of available good ball points, however, it was no better than average for 2 of our consistency metrics, and took a hit for falling into the “Fair” range (below average) for weight consistency..

With CSX LS, I’d say you’re not going to encounter many really bad ones, but the ‘good’ ones aren’t going to be a similar as some of balls we test.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

47 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

"

Putting a total score on golf ball quality (or performance for that matter), is not a particularly natural thing to do…making it simple (out of 100) trickier still.

It simple for the casual observer, but if you’re serious about understanding how it comes together, it’s best to think of the elements (good ball% and the 3 consistency metrics) as separate things.

Good ball % makes up roughly 45% of the score. The rest is split almost evenly between the 3 consistency metrics. I say almost because compression is weighted a bit more because it’s effectively 2 separate metrics (consistency across the 3 points measured on each ball + consistency across the sample as a whole).

There is a bit of a curve (related to math, not price) as we want the best scores to be in the 90s.. Excellent ratings (the highest value) are theoretically possible, but highly unlikely we’ll see many. Excellent means 2 standard deviations above the database mean for a given metric – it’s an incredibly high standard.

First, the Cut DC. In terms of bad ball % it’s exactly average. Not awesome, not bad. Just average. Where math is concerned, most things fall within the average range.

Ratings for both compression and Weight each fell within the good range. (albeit just barely). It’s not excellent but it’s roughly a handful of points better than average.

Given that our system is dynamic (averages and subsequent ratings are updated each time a new ball is added), ratings for the Cut DC could drop a bit as balls are added. Likewise, the Pro V1 is just below the “good” threshold for Diameter, so it’s rating could improve as balls are added.

Looking at how the math comes together, the DC takes a hit for the 4 bad balls in the sample, but in terms of general consistency across the sample, it gets a boost for being better than the database average for compression and weight.

So what I would say is that the Cut DC balls are mostly alike, but you’re going to get a really bad ball once or twice per box.

Looking at it from the other side, a few questioned the ratings on the CSX LS because the good ball % was 97%. Basically, that means there was, individually, only a single disqualifying defect, but that metric doesn’t speak to consistency across the sample.

It got most of available good ball points, however, it was no better than average for 2 of our consistency metrics, and took a hit for falling into the “Fair” range (below average) for weight consistency..

With CSX LS, I’d say you’re not going to encounter many really bad ones, but the ‘good’ ones aren’t going to be a similar as some of balls we test.

Thanks! That helps. The sad part is if clarification has to continually come after the fact, a better description at the outset could help.

4 hours ago, pouetvl said:

yeah was wondering the same too, I found that the 73 was a little low on the rating, don't know the rating system they are using but I would assume that a 50$ ball that don't have any major defect this time would have gotten a rating around 80 or so. Still wouldn't game the ball since I tend to buy used ball and last batch of chrome was awful. 

Would love to see the rating system explained in detail to reach that number, maybe it's legit, maybe it's bias toward callaway, we can't know until we see the math in general behind the rating. Maybe the rating is related to the price, who knows. 

after further review on the stat, seems to be a compression consistency problem. it score fair for the chrome vs good for the cut.

image.png.34b528c122a59217f2571a7b5a0a4462.png

I used paintbrush quickly added line around 97.5 and 102.5 to see how many would fall within the parameter.

Chrome have 1 way off, 4 others that could be considered problematic.

Cut have 3 that could be considered problematic.

if you use the median, cut have 10-11 that touch the median, chrome have 13-14 that touch the median...

Looking at the 2 graph for compression, cut seems better by a small margin... For 3 pts compression, chrome look a little better than cut cause Cut DC got 2 way off out there. Just looking at those stats, both are quite similar, one is worth 50$for a dozen, other is 30$

image.png.12f01dcfc17cc8ffef4dafb05929847c.png

Awesome analysis, and seems to be dead-on what Tony says in Berg’s post. Thanks!!!

that make sense, I had a similar conclusion when I spent more time comparing the two ball, not sure if I want more consistent ball with really few bad one or less consistent with no bad ball or so. Cause as a user, I have no way to single out those bad ball. Of course I'm gonna end up playing something else than those two balls but eventually it might come down to those stats.

36 minutes ago, pouetvl said:

that make sense, I had a similar conclusion when I spent more time comparing the two ball, not sure if I want more consistent ball with really few bad one or less consistent with no bad ball or so. Cause as a user, I have no way to single out those bad ball. Of course I'm gonna end up playing something else than those two balls but eventually it might come down to those stats.

A quandary for sure!

2 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

"

Thanks for posting that because I was confused too

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Good discussion here - but it makes me wonder. Are name brand loyalists (TM, Titleist, etc.) interested in trying some of the DTC balls after these Ball Lab reports? Snell was top last year but is looking fairly even with Vice but now Cut DC is making a push.

I think DTC brands have a place in the market but the extra $15-$20 for name brand premium balls seem to actually be getting you a better product. How much better is tough to quantify but the Ball Lab is a step in the right direction . Thanks MGS for Ball Lab!

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

After seeing both reviews I am a bit confused as well, but my confusion ends when I go to purchase as I wont be ordering either.  I would rather spend the extra money and get a better quality more consistent product.  Until one of the less expensive brands rates similar to Titleist etc. I am not interested.  

I rarely use more than two balls a round, so my thinking is for an extra $2 why would I not get a better ball?  You have a driver that might cost $500, a $50 plus greens fee and tons of money spent on other equipment, lessons, range balls etc. why get chintzy with the ball when it's the least expensive thing you pay for?  

Hell, people will ****** about a $4 ball and spend $12 on a cocktail in the bar.  I also just bought a bunch of Pro V logo overruns, great ball for the same price as the Callaway.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

15 hours ago, TBS said:

Good discussion here - but it makes me wonder. Are name brand loyalists (TM, Titleist, etc.) interested in trying some of the DTC balls after these Ball Lab reports? Snell was top last year but is looking fairly even with Vice but now Cut DC is making a push.

I think DTC brands have a place in the market but the extra $15-$20 for name brand premium balls seem to actually be getting you a better product. How much better is tough to quantify but the Ball Lab is a step in the right direction . Thanks MGS for Ball Lab!

I will say this that Cut, as well as Vice make some decent balls with the price point of cut being much better.  The biggest issue i see with these balls is they lack the durability of the Titleist ProV1, Prov1x and -ProV1x.  That being said buying a Cut Blue at $19.99 a dozen or a ProV1 at $49.99 a dozen do you really expect the same durability?  If you are looking for a pretty good golf ball at an affordable price then Cut is a great option, the cover is pretty soft and will groove up but i have not seen a significant drop off in distance and or feel.  If all things were equal meaning price points, i would play a ProV1 series ball all day, but reality is they are not equal.  

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"

16 hours ago, TBS said:

I've played the Vice ball's several times... My biggest think is the shipping or ordering online.  I mean I can't be the only one to just pick up a dozen balls at the course or DSG just becuase you wanted to try something out for a few rounds... I just did that with the CS x LS.  And got to say, I was very impressed, might be a little too low spin for me.  When I played with them I was having more trouble getting the ball to stop once the greens firmed up. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

6 minutes ago, twyatt700 said:

I've played the Vice ball's several times... My biggest think is the shipping or ordering online.  I mean I can't be the only one to just pick up a dozen balls at the course or DSG just becuase you wanted to try something out for a few rounds... I just did that with the CS x LS.  And got to say, I was very impressed, might be a little too low spin for me.  When I played with them I was having more trouble getting the ball to stop once the greens firmed up. 

This may not have anything to do with the quality of the ball, but from a marketing perspective, that added friction could definitely make someone less likely to even try the product, let alone drop in excess of $100 for a multi-dozen 'value pack.' I appreciate the balls like OnCore and Cut that will send you a single sleeve to try for like $3 shipping, but there's definitely still friction compared to impulse buying a ball from a green grass shop.

(And to argue the other side, if a single dozen of Vice is $34 and a single dozen of a green grass ball like Titleist or Cally is $45-50, that's a pretty significant premium to pay for the convenience.)

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

The Ball Lab has spoken.....my fav ball is the Maxfli Tour CG, scoring 91 and costs 2 dozen for $55 or $60 keeps them in my bag.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Fortunately I loose very few balls. It's plain old worth to me to play the Pro VIx.  I do the by three get one special every year at New Years and am done with it.  Since this year's ball is a new iteration I waited a bit (still had two dozen left over from last year) and did the virtual ball fitting which said...... wait for it - Pro VIx - so I have 4 dozen of the new ones in the queue - still have a dozen and a half of the old ones, too.

I will skimp on lots of stuff but not the golf ball that I play.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I tried the Cut balls and didn't care for the feel. I hate paying $50 for balls, but really feel like PV1 are the best for my game. Thus, I am the ultimate ball-hawk. I think if you necessarily care, and just want a new, clean ball, for a cheaper price, Cut could be for you.

As an aside, I really like their hats!

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Fortunately I loose very few balls. It's plain old worth to me to play the Pro VIx.  I do the by three get one special every year at New Years and am done with it.  Since this year's ball is a new iteration I waited a bit (still had two dozen left over from last year) and did the virtual ball fitting which said...... wait for it - Pro VIx - so I have 4 dozen of the new ones in the queue - still have a dozen and a half of the old ones, too.

I will skimp on lots of stuff but not the golf ball that I play.  

Ditto!

20 hours ago, greggarner said:

This may not have anything to do with the quality of the ball, but from a marketing perspective, that added friction could definitely make someone less likely to even try the product, let alone drop in excess of $100 for a multi-dozen 'value pack.' I appreciate the balls like OnCore and Cut that will send you a single sleeve to try for like $3 shipping, but there's definitely still friction compared to impulse buying a ball from a green grass shop.

(And to argue the other side, if a single dozen of Vice is $34 and a single dozen of a green grass ball like Titleist or Cally is $45-50, that's a pretty significant premium to pay for the convenience.)

Lets be clear... not a lot of thought goes into my spending habits.... its a real issue 😂

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

4 minutes ago, twyatt700 said:

Lets be clear... not a lot of thought goes into my spending habits.... its a real issue 😂

HA! I'm the exact opposite. I'll put something in my shopping cart and then just sit on it for weeks/months. I had figured out how to get a new set of irons for net-out-of-pocket $85 and I still needed a month to pull the trigger. My wife gets mad at me about it because I'll just keep bringing it up. "I dunno. Do you think I should buy them?" "Oh my lord, Greg, buy the #@$^# clubs. I told you that 2 weeks ago."

Tested:

1 minute ago, greggarner said:

HA! I'm the exact opposite. I'll put something in my shopping cart and then just sit on it for weeks/months. I had figured out how to get a new set of irons for net-out-of-pocket $85 and I still needed a month to pull the trigger. My wife gets mad at me about it because I'll just keep bringing it up. "I dunno. Do you think I should buy them?" "Oh my lord, Greg, buy the #@$^# clubs. I told you that 2 weeks ago."

HAHAHA, yep literally the opposite... I make the impulse decision then spend two weeks researching to validate my decision 😂  I'm guess you;re going to retire before me lol

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

This sounds so much like me it hurt 🤣

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

So I totally took the bait.. I just happened to be looking for a swim floatie for my 3 year old at Target and the next aisle over was the golf section. Not sure I've ever bought golf equipment at Target. Well I saw a box of the same balls in the Ball Lab test and figure for $20 I couldn't go wrong. The marketing definitely seems to be targeting the annual work golf tournament golfer who wouldn't know any better. Think PXG meets top flight.. had I not seen the MGS release, I wouldn't have thought twice about them. 

I'm thinking maybe I got the ball that MGS missed?..

It was 1 out of an entire box but I don't think I've ever had a ball this $hitty come out of any box of TP5x's or Z stars. 

This ball seemed to have a huge indentation, a cart path rash, and is completely missing about 12 dimples on one side. I would consider each of these a major inconsistency and to have 3 very different defects on 1 ball is super strange.. and concerning. 

0613211253.jpg.c398eb54242e77ce4f73aeec37a013a6.jpg

0613211257.jpg.8395d01b2a825b1113ced8576f6723b0.jpg

0613211256.jpg.b051c554ea8de06b602e5a6aac84abbc.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

12 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So I totally took the bait.. I just happened to be looking for a swim floatie for my 3 year old at Target and the next aisle over was the golf section. Not sure I've ever bought golf equipment at Target. Well I saw a box of the same balls in the Ball Lab test and figure for $20 I couldn't go wrong. The marketing definitely seems to be targeting the annual work golf tournament golfer who wouldn't know any better. Think PXG meets top flight.. had I not seen the MGS release, I wouldn't have thought twice about them. 

It was 1 out of an entire box but I don't think I've ever had a ball this $hitty come out of any box of TP5x's or Z stars. 

This ball seemed to have a huge indentation, a cart path rash, and is completely missing about 8 dimples on one side. 

Wow!! Even for $20, I can’t buy those! Craaaaaazy!

14 hours ago, azstu324 said:

This ball seemed to have a huge indentation, a cart path rash, and is completely missing about 12 dimples on one side. I would consider each of these a major inconsistency and to have 3 very different defects on 1 ball is super strange.. and concerning. 

@azstu324, that's not the DC Ball, that's the standard Cut Blue, which as noted in the 2019 ball test had some of these issues. The DC comes in a White Box and I've never seen them at Target.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

8 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

@azstu324, that's not the DC Ball, that's the standard Cut Blue, which as noted in the 2019 ball test had some of these issues. The DC comes in a White Box and I've never seen them at Target.

Nice call out! Thx for that. Shows how very little I know about this brand. I think these will be going back. 

I'm on vacation and brought 3 sleeves of my TP5x's and think I'll be fine for 2 rounds. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG