TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave’s Take: My Post-Pandemic Xikar Cigar Kit

• SPY VIP

It’s Been A Minute

Hello all lovers of the leaf. It’s been a while since I have posted anything in the Cigar Lounge. Like everything else, you can blame the pandemic for that.

I have not had anything to share in the lounge since I had not smoked a cigar in fourteen months. My reasoning was that if this was a virus that infects the lungs, then maybe it was a good idea to keep the lungs as healthy as possible. Is that a true thing? I don’t know, as I am not a doctor. Regardless, I did go for more than a year without a cigar.

Once I was fully vaccinated though, my new plan became Got the Stabs, Have a Stick!

New Kit Needed

2021 Xikar Kit - 21.jpeg

To celebrate the return of golfing with cigars, I figured that I needed a couple of things. First, I would go grab one of my favorite cigars, an Olivia Serie V. While the Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduro is probably my favorite cigar, it can be a little much for the course. It’s more of a bourbon and bullshitting smoke. The Olivia works better for me on the course.

The other thing that I wanted was a new cigar tool kit for the golf bag. Nothing like a new cutter, lighter, and case to boost the enjoyment of the smoking ritual. Naturally, I turned to Xikar, knowing that their tools have yet to let me down.

And so, today I want to share with you these new cigar toys so that should you too want to step up your cigar tool game, you’ll have my takes to reference. First, lets talk about transport.

Xikar Envoy Case

2021 Xikar Kit - 15.jpeg

To smoke a cigar at the golf course you first need to get the cigar to the golf course. Now I typically use the Xikar 5 cigar travel humidor for golf, but I wanted to explore something lighter and smaller. The five-cigar case works well but seems like overkill if I’m only taking one stick and not worried about maintaining humidity.

The plan was to look for something smaller. The Xikar Envoy Case seemed like a solid single cigar option. Sure, I could just buy cigars in tubes, but not all my favorites come packaged that way.

2021 Xikar Kit - 16.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 17.jpeg

This case is simplicity personified. It consists of two sections that connect by the larger sliding over the smaller. It may be simple, but it works great for cigars of all reasonable sizes (up to 60 ring/7”). You just slide the top down until it fits the cigar.

2021 Xikar Kit - 18.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 19.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 20.jpeg

Could sliding too far damage the cigar? Probably, but the fit is tight, so it would take a significant impact to move that lid.

As far as the ritual goes, the rich leather and cedar lining evoke feelings of luxury. Maybe that sounds silly, but the case feels fancy, and that makes me feel like I’m doing something fancy.

All in all, I see myself using the Envoy case far more than the travel humidor, except maybe for golf trips, then I’ll likely need both.

Xikar Enso Cutter

2021 Xikar Kit - 11.jpeg

Cutting the cigar is a big part of my smoking ritual. I think that there is a primal, perhaps medieval glee that comes with the cutting. Maybe it’s a touch sociopathic, but I love hearing that click when the blades sever the tip of the cigar.

2021 Xikar Kit - 14.jpeg

As I am a fan of Xikar’s round XO cutter, I had to take their new Xikar Enso cutter for a spin. Like the XO, this cutter features two synchronized cutting blades. But unlike the XO, this one only pushes from one side.

2021 Xikar Kit - 12.jpeg

2021 Xikar Kit - 13.jpeg

The double guillotine blades move in sync when you press down on the cutting lever. I’m not sure if this is all gear driven like the XO as this time, as all mechanics are enclosed. To open the cutter, you will need to pull the edge up. Nothing spring loaded here. Once open, this cutter will take on a cigar up to a 72 ring gauge. That’s too much girth for me, but you live your life.

XikarOnCourse - 2.jpeg

Like I’ve come to expect from Xikar, the Enso cuts clean. Amazingly clean. One push and that tip is gone, with not a fray to be found on the edge of the wrapper.

The profile of the Enso is a little on the large size. I did not expect it to have a diameter larger than the XO. That said, it is thinner than expected, and still fits perfectly for one hand cutting. 

Xikar Tactical Single Torch

2021 Xikar Kit - 1.jpeg

Yes, I definitely enjoy the cutting ritual, but it is the lighting of the cigar that I look forward to the most. Something about tapping into the primal element of fire and getting the first tastes of the tobacco as the cigar lights. That’s the best. Unfortunately, this is also where a noncompliant torch can take the ritual off the rails. Fighting for fire is not enjoyable.

Prior to the trying out this torch, my go to fire source was the Xikar Tactical Triple torch. It holds an ocean of fuel, and lights the first time, all the time. It gives me everything I need, except the being new part, so naturally, I needed to take the Xikar Tactical Single for a spin.

2021 Xikar Kit - 6.jpeg

The surprising thing about the Tactical Single is that it is a bit larger than the Tactical Triple. Maybe not in width, but it is taller and thicker. The ergonomics are still sound though as its round-ish profile fits easy in the hand. Thumb access is perfect for lid flipping and button sliding. The knob to change flame height is huge and has quite a range. Pay attention to this as on full, this single jet torch produces significant flame. My Turrim single does not pump fire like the Tactical Single.

2021 Xikar Kit - 3.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 4.jpeg

After venting any air and filling the Tactical Single with premium butane, I put the ignition to the test. Ten out of ten times it lit. Granted, this was in my garage and not out in the elements. Not to worry though as once I was out on the course, performance was the same.

2021 Xikar Kit - 5.jpeg

Now you may have noticed that there is a nice groove on the top of the torch to hold your cigar. It’s a great feature, but I am not sure it’s golf friendly. It should work in a riding cart. Pick any flat surface then balance the cigar on the torch. Just remember it before you drive off. Walking the course, this feature may not work quite as well since the fill hole is on the bottom. I’m not sure I’d try this on the grass or dirt as I don’t want any debris to plug the fill hole.

How it went...

XikarOnCourse - 1.jpeg

With all this build up, you may be wondering how that cigar was on the course. Full disclosure, it was delicious. I loved pulling the new tools out of my new MGS valuables bag. My Envoy kept the cigar safe. The Enso cut like Hanzo, and the Tactical Single delivered fire like Prometheus. All in all, it was great to enjoy a stick on the course again. As we return to normalcy, one of my goals is to appreciate more the things that I took for granted. A round of golf with my good friends and a good cigar is one of those things.

BONUS TORCH: Palio Vesuvio Triple Torch

2021 Xikar Kit - 7.jpeg

As it turns out, I have a bonus tool to share with you, the Palio Vesuvio Triple torch. Though the Palio brand may not as well known as Xikar, I have found that Palio makes solid cigar tools. One of the welcome differences is that most of their tools are on the lower end of the cost scale. This torch, for example, lists on Amazon for $12.99 or two for $19.99.

2021 Xikar Kit - 8.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 10.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 9.jpeg

While it may not be as fancy as some of my other torches, the Palio Vesuvio Triple is a fire breather. It has a huge butane tank. It is easy to adjust. It spits triple tongues of fire to the stratosphere. And best of all, it only costs about $10!

Add one to your golf bag, your camping gear, your boat, and wherever you usually enjoy a cigar. Should you drop it in the lake, or leave it in the golf cart, who cares? It was only $10.

As far as bang for your buck, or flame for your fuel, this torch gets it done.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

It’s Been A Minute

Hello all lovers of the leaf. It’s been a while since I have posted anything in the Cigar Lounge. Like everything else, you can blame the pandemic for that.

I have not had anything to share in the lounge since I had not smoked a cigar in fourteen months. My reasoning was that if this was a virus that infects the lungs, then maybe it was a good idea to keep the lungs as healthy as possible. Is that a true thing? I don’t know, as I am not a doctor. Regardless, I did go for more than a year without a cigar.

Once I was fully vaccinated though, my new plan became Got the Stabs, Have a Stick!

New Kit Needed

2021 Xikar Kit - 21.jpeg

To celebrate the return of golfing with cigars, I figured that I needed a couple of things. First, I would go grab one of my favorite cigars, an Olivia Serie V. While the Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduro is probably my favorite cigar, it can be a little much for the course. It’s more of a bourbon and bullshitting smoke. The Olivia works better for me on the course.

The other thing that I wanted was a new cigar tool kit for the golf bag. Nothing like a new cutter, lighter, and case to boost the enjoyment of the smoking ritual. Naturally, I turned to Xikar, knowing that their tools have yet to let me down.

And so, today I want to share with you these new cigar toys so that should you too want to step up your cigar tool game, you’ll have my takes to reference. First, lets talk about transport.

Xikar Envoy Case

2021 Xikar Kit - 15.jpeg

To smoke a cigar at the golf course you first need to get the cigar to the golf course. Now I typically use the Xikar 5 cigar travel humidor for golf, but I wanted to explore something lighter and smaller. The five-cigar case works well but seems like overkill if I’m only taking one stick and not worried about maintaining humidity.

The plan was to look for something smaller. The Xikar Envoy Case seemed like a solid single cigar option. Sure, I could just buy cigars in tubes, but not all my favorites come packaged that way.

2021 Xikar Kit - 16.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 17.jpeg

This case is simplicity personified. It consists of two sections that connect by the larger sliding over the smaller. It may be simple, but it works great for cigars of all reasonable sizes (up to 60 ring/7”). You just slide the top down until it fits the cigar.

2021 Xikar Kit - 18.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 19.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 20.jpeg

Could sliding too far damage the cigar? Probably, but the fit is tight, so it would take a significant impact to move that lid.

As far as the ritual goes, the rich leather and cedar lining evoke feelings of luxury. Maybe that sounds silly, but the case feels fancy, and that makes me feel like I’m doing something fancy.

All in all, I see myself using the Envoy case far more than the travel humidor, except maybe for golf trips, then I’ll likely need both.

Xikar Enso Cutter

2021 Xikar Kit - 11.jpeg

Cutting the cigar is a big part of my smoking ritual. I think that there is a primal, perhaps medieval glee that comes with the cutting. Maybe it’s a touch sociopathic, but I love hearing that click when the blades sever the tip of the cigar.

2021 Xikar Kit - 14.jpeg

As I am a fan of Xikar’s round XO cutter, I had to take their new Xikar Enso cutter for a spin. Like the XO, this cutter features two synchronized cutting blades. But unlike the XO, this one only pushes from one side.

2021 Xikar Kit - 12.jpeg

2021 Xikar Kit - 13.jpeg

The double guillotine blades move in sync when you press down on the cutting lever. I’m not sure if this is all gear driven like the XO as this time, as all mechanics are enclosed. To open the cutter, you will need to pull the edge up. Nothing spring loaded here. Once open, this cutter will take on a cigar up to a 72 ring gauge. That’s too much girth for me, but you live your life.

XikarOnCourse - 2.jpeg

Like I’ve come to expect from Xikar, the Enso cuts clean. Amazingly clean. One push and that tip is gone, with not a fray to be found on the edge of the wrapper.

The profile of the Enso is a little on the large size. I did not expect it to have a diameter larger than the XO. That said, it is thinner than expected, and still fits perfectly for one hand cutting. 

Xikar Tactical Single Torch

2021 Xikar Kit - 1.jpeg

Yes, I definitely enjoy the cutting ritual, but it is the lighting of the cigar that I look forward to the most. Something about tapping into the primal element of fire and getting the first tastes of the tobacco as the cigar lights. That’s the best. Unfortunately, this is also where a noncompliant torch can take the ritual off the rails. Fighting for fire is not enjoyable.

Prior to the trying out this torch, my go to fire source was the Xikar Tactical Triple torch. It holds an ocean of fuel, and lights the first time, all the time. It gives me everything I need, except the being new part, so naturally, I needed to take the Xikar Tactical Single for a spin.

2021 Xikar Kit - 6.jpeg

The surprising thing about the Tactical Single is that it is a bit larger than the Tactical Triple. Maybe not in width, but it is taller and thicker. The ergonomics are still sound though as its round-ish profile fits easy in the hand. Thumb access is perfect for lid flipping and button sliding. The knob to change flame height is huge and has quite a range. Pay attention to this as on full, this single jet torch produces significant flame. My Turrim single does not pump fire like the Tactical Single.

2021 Xikar Kit - 3.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 4.jpeg

After venting any air and filling the Tactical Single with premium butane, I put the ignition to the test. Ten out of ten times it lit. Granted, this was in my garage and not out in the elements. Not to worry though as once I was out on the course, performance was the same.

2021 Xikar Kit - 5.jpeg

Now you may have noticed that there is a nice groove on the top of the torch to hold your cigar. It’s a great feature, but I am not sure it’s golf friendly. It should work in a riding cart. Pick any flat surface then balance the cigar on the torch. Just remember it before you drive off. Walking the course, this feature may not work quite as well since the fill hole is on the bottom. I’m not sure I’d try this on the grass or dirt as I don’t want any debris to plug the fill hole.

How it went...

XikarOnCourse - 1.jpeg

With all this build up, you may be wondering how that cigar was on the course. Full disclosure, it was delicious. I loved pulling the new tools out of my new MGS valuables bag. My Envoy kept the cigar safe. The Enso cut like Hanzo, and the Tactical Single delivered fire like Prometheus. All in all, it was great to enjoy a stick on the course again. As we return to normalcy, one of my goals is to appreciate more the things that I took for granted. A round of golf with my good friends and a good cigar is one of those things.

BONUS TORCH: Palio Vesuvio Triple Torch

2021 Xikar Kit - 7.jpeg

As it turns out, I have a bonus tool to share with you, the Palio Vesuvio Triple torch. Though the Palio brand may not as well known as Xikar, I have found that Palio makes solid cigar tools. One of the welcome differences is that most of their tools are on the lower end of the cost scale. This torch, for example, lists on Amazon for $12.99 or two for $19.99.

2021 Xikar Kit - 8.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 10.jpeg2021 Xikar Kit - 9.jpeg

While it may not be as fancy as some of my other torches, the Palio Vesuvio Triple is a fire breather. It has a huge butane tank. It is easy to adjust. It spits triple tongues of fire to the stratosphere. And best of all, it only costs about $10!

Add one to your golf bag, your camping gear, your boat, and wherever you usually enjoy a cigar. Should you drop it in the lake, or leave it in the golf cart, who cares? It was only $10.

As far as bang for your buck, or flame for your fuel, this torch gets it done.

I’ve had the Palio for years they hold up well

I think I need a golf trip, just to get away and smoke some nice cigars. This set up looks pretty sweet

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

On 6/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, GolfSpy Dave said:

It’s Been A Minute

Since you're not inhaling cigar smoke your lungs shouldn't be a concern (or maybe you do inhale?  if so what kind of monster are you?!!?!!?!)

I love Xikar gear and the round cutters are amazing.  The tactical torch doesn't work for me.  I don't know why - it's just not ... appealing? (I guess that's the best way to describe it for me).

That Palio looks solid too!   I don't need another lighter, or cutter or <insert accessory here> but maybe, just maybe I'll have to make an exception

• :titelist-small: TSi 2 10D
  • :titelist-small: 917 F2 3W
  • :titelist-small: 716 T-MB 3i
  • :titelist-small: 716 AP1 4-5i
  • :titelist-small: 716 AP2 6-PW
  • :titelist-small: SM6 52/58 wedges
  • Toulon Rochester
  • :Snell: MTB-X

Dave, 

Just the reading material I needed! Been looking for cigar cutter and a new lighter, lost mine in a recent move and its time to stop borrowing from my friends. 

Also piqued my interest in trying an Olivia series V.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• SPY VIP
On 6/11/2021 at 5:45 PM, Fireinthehole said:

Dave, 

Just the reading material I needed! Been looking for cigar cutter and a new lighter, lost mine in a recent move and its time to stop borrowing from my friends. 

Also piqued my interest in trying an Olivia series V.

It's a good stick. I bought it initially because it came in a tube, my favorite for golf. I think that the tube one is a double robusto.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

As a Browns fan, I love the color coordinated orange gear! I have that cigar minder, but will have to look for the other stuff in L'Orange.😁😁

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I'm a Browns fan also. Everything i own is Xikar. I just sent a lighter back to be replaced or fixed. Can't beat that lifetime warranty. 

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max

3 Wood: Ping G410 15*

5 Wood: Ping G425 19*

4-6 Irons: Titleist T300

7-PW: Titleist T200

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0, 50* 56* and 60*

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder

• 2 years later...