TESTERS WANTED! ×

Going to Hilton Head Labor Day, Get One Round, Where Should I Play??

I am going to Hilton Head with my family and another family Labor Day Weekend.  Staying in an Airbnb right near the beach on the island. I have 2 kids he has 3, so needless to say we said we needed a half day of golf at some point. I am a 10.7 handicap currently and he doesn't play much golf, so we won't be taking it too seriously, but want to have a good golf experience too. 

I want some advice on where to play. Of course Harbour Town is an option but I am not really sure I want to fork up $350 plus for a round (maybe one day in the future), and the guy I am playing with definitely does not. My Airbnb is right next to the Palmetto Dunes courses (Fazio, Hills, and RTJ) so I thought about playing one of those. Have also seen Shipyard, Port Royal, and Oyster Reef. Also heard about May River and Old South that are right near Hilton Head. 

Just looking for a great golf experience for the best bang for the buck. Thanks!

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Personally, I would play one of the 3 courses at Palmetto Dunes.

https://www.palmettodunes.com/golf

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Personally, I would play one of the 3 courses at Palmetto Dunes.

https://www.palmettodunes.com/golf

Thanks. Have you played any of the courses? 

11 hours ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

Thanks. Have you played any of the courses? 

Yes, it's been a couple of years. I played two of them and they were very nice. I prefer Palmetto Dunes over the Shipyard, etc.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Yes, it's been a couple of years. I played two of them and they were very nice. I prefer Palmetto Dunes over the Shipyard, etc.

Awesome, thank you for the information!

1 hour ago, billybogey said:

Have not played there in awhile. When I go back to Hilton Head; Shipyard would be high on my List. 

So many quality courses there now. EZ to play any. 

Fun time in Hilton Head are guaranteed!!

Thank you for the information. I have researched Palmetto Dunes the most but looks like there are a lot of Shipyard supporters out there too. 

I go to HHI every year in September.

Last year I played Palmetto Hall Plantation(2 courses), Rose sHill GC & Old South.

Tge Psljetto Hall courses were immaculate and fun to play. Rise Hill was a complete surprise and best value. Hiwever, if I could only play one round, I would choose Old South.  It is the most unique course as it is in the swamps…

0C5E4002-CA24-45B6-8501-4C243B02DE0B.jpeg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

We are in HHI every year.  If I had one round to play I'd play HH National. It's the best on the Island for the money.  CC of Hilton Head and Dolphin Head are very good options as well. Both semi private. Palmetto has 3 good courses.  

Cheers,

KV

I was just in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and one course we played I would highly recommend for the value and experience.

The Old South Golf Links. You can often find GolfNow deals at $60 to $70 range and it has a GolfNow rating of 4.4 which is actually pretty good rating. Best bang for the buck near Hilton Head.

Enjoy!

Driver:  PXG 2011, Fairway Woods (3 and 5):  Callaway Big Bertha B21, Hybrids (3 and 5):  Callaway Big Bertha B21, Irons:  Ping G15, Putter:  Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Golf Ball:  Snell MTB-X.

I've been to HHI a few years now.  Have played a couple courses, but nothing crazy.  I played Atlantic Dunes last year and had a great time.  Played Palmetto Dunes - RTJ this year and didn't like it as much.  Crescent Pointe was inexpensive and ok value comparatively.  I played Palmetto Hall - Hills course and thought value for money was quite good and some nice holes.  Playing Oyster Reef today so I will try and update after.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

If you can’t play HarborTown which is extremely nice and not as difficult as one might think Shipyard is a good choice. One of my favorites is Old South which is across the bridge. We always try to play that at least once a trip. 

23 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I go to HHI every year in September.

Last year I played Palmetto Hall Plantation(2 courses), Rose sHill GC & Old South.

Tge Psljetto Hall courses were immaculate and fun to play. Rise Hill was a complete surprise and best value. Hiwever, if I could only play one round, I would choose Old South.  It is the most unique course as it is in the swamps…

0C5E4002-CA24-45B6-8501-4C243B02DE0B.jpeg

Thank you! Have not seen old south much will need to check it out! 

18 hours ago, rga68 said:

Like to play RTG at Palmetto Dunes. If you want the most challenging course at Palmetto Dunes play the Arthur Hills course. The Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Hall Plantation is also very good. I also like Oyster Reef & Old South. 

Enjoy your trip at HH!

Thank you! I live in Alabama so we are used to the gulf, so the Atlantic beach will be a fun change of scenery. 

21 hours ago, BamaKid said:

I was just in Hilton Head a few weeks ago and one course we played I would highly recommend for the value and experience.

The Old South Golf Links. You can often find GolfNow deals at $60 to $70 range and it has a GolfNow rating of 4.4 which is actually pretty good rating. Best bang for the buck near Hilton Head.

Enjoy!

Thank you! Couple of people have said old south. 

• 1 month later...

Oyster Reef is the best of the courses in the group affiliated with Shipyard.  Hilton Head National and Old South are both interesting and can be very reasonable later in the day.

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

Me and my buddy settled on Palmetto Dunes George Fazio. Will give a review after I play, I’m very excited!

• 1 month later...

Finally got to visit Hilton Head and played the George Fazio course mentioned above. Was really fun, challenging yet not insane, and in great shape (and no crowd!!). Only knock was they had aerated the greens about 1.5 weeks before and the greens were pretty slow, but in good shape and rolled pretty true, you just had to whack it a little bit. Would definitely play again though and would love to play the other two as well. 

Hilton Head itself was really fun and nice, golf courses on every corner! 

BC5554A9-9A11-4F8F-AE7F-23C97C7D314F.jpeg

E05C7E8F-C179-476C-BBEF-D23BD65F0773.jpeg

265C7D61-DBEC-47E1-B36F-B512B432737B.jpeg

7ADE98A4-CAC2-4FB1-8615-374758BE2514.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am actually going back here for work later this week and if I can work all my duties in on Thursday, going to play Old South Golf Links Friday morning. Heard great things about it in this forum! 

20 hours ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

I am actually going back here for work later this week and if I can work all my duties in on Thursday, going to play Old South Golf Links Friday morning. Heard great things about it in this forum! 

Old South is really nice. Bluffton in general is quite nice. Hilton Head National, also in Bluffton, is fun too. Though, their driving range is lacking to say the least. If you can get on Belfair do it! It was home of teaching professional, Carl Lohren. They have hosted the PGA Professional National competition. Berkley Hall as well! They say when Augusta National was redesigning their practice area they visited Berkley Hall for ideas. The day I played there it was 103 degrees and I could’ve spent the entire day at the practice area, it’s that awesome.

On the island, Sea Pines gets all of the glory because of Harbour Town Golf Links. It’s an early 1960s Pete Dye and Jack Nicklaus collaboration. It ain’t cheap, and if you play do yourself a favor by walking and hiring a caddie.  Heron Pointe and Atlantic Dunes are also within the Sea Pines community. Atlantic Dines was recently redesigned by a Davis and Mark Love. All of the courses in Sea Pines are expensive but if you’ve never been probably worth it. There are a couple of private course within Sea Pines too but I couldn’t comment. 

Palmetto Dunes is also a nice community on the island and quite a bit more laid back. They have three courses, an Arthur Hills, a George Fazio, and a Robert Trent Jones. They are a bit more affordable with a nice range at the RTJ course.

Wexford is another private community on the island with a nice course and phenomenal practice area. A few of the holes have some spectacular views of the surrounding marshland. But the private yatch club and marina will blow you away. Michael Jordan and Oprah Winfrey used to own homes in the community.

Hilton Head is a wonderful community. We’ve been going for years now with a few other families. Lately it has been incredibly crowded but the beaches are among the best in the United States.

Honorable mention:

Country Club of HH 

12 minutes ago, Professor said:

Old South is really nice. Bluffton in general is quite nice. Hilton Head National, also in Bluffton, is fun too. Though, their driving range is lacking to say the least. If you can get on Belfair do it! It was home of teaching professional, Carl Lohren. They have hosted the PGA Professional National competition. Berkley Hall as well! They say when Augusta National was redesigning their practice area they visited Berkley Hall for ideas. The day I played there it was 103 degrees and I could’ve spent the entire day at the practice area, it’s that awesome.

On the island, Sea Pines gets all of the glory because of Harbour Town Golf Links. It’s an early 1960s Pete Dye and Jack Nicklaus collaboration. It ain’t cheap, and if you play do yourself a favor by walking and hiring a caddie.  Heron Pointe and Atlantic Dunes are also within the Sea Pines community. Atlantic Dines was recently redesigned by a Davis and Mark Love. All of the courses in Sea Pines are expensive but if you’ve never been probably worth it. There are a couple of private course within Sea Pines too but I couldn’t comment. 

Palmetto Dunes is also a nice community on the island and quite a bit more laid back. They have three courses, an Arthur Hills, a George Fazio, and a Robert Trent Jones. They are a bit more affordable with a nice range at the RTJ course.

Wexford is another private community on the island with a nice course and phenomenal practice area. A few of the holes have some spectacular views of the surrounding marshland. But the private yatch club and marina will blow you away. Michael Jordan and Oprah Winfrey used to own homes in the community.

Hilton Head is a wonderful community. We’ve been going for years now with a few other families. Lately it has been incredibly crowded but the beaches are among the best in the United States.

Honorable mention:

Country Club of HH 

So I went to HHI for the first time in September and loved it. Played the Fazio course and stayed in Palmetto Dunes. I’m from Alabama and we are proud of our beaches on the Gulf, and I will say I was very pleased with the Hilton Head beach! Looking forward to going back for work this week. 

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Honorable mention:

Country Club of HH 

I enjoyed playing at Arthur hills in palmetto dunes last year. Although I was not much of a fan for the country club at Hilton head. The tee boxes were pretty beat up and the pace of play left a lot to question as they were over 90 minutes late allowing us to tee off 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I'll be there the second week of June as well and have went the past few years.  We have stayed in Sea Pines the last 3 years and my family loves it.  I've played Atlantic Dunes, Palmetto Dunes - RTJ (Oceanfront), Oyster Reef, Palmetto Hall - Hills, and Crescent Point so far.  

At this point, my favorite course would have to be Oyster Reef that I have played in HHI.  Atlantic Dunes is a second and Palmetto Dunes -RTJ a distant 3rd.  The other two were last minute options that were very inexpensive, would say crescent point has a better fun factor I guess.

I hope to play Old South this trip as I've heard such great things and Harbour Town.  Except I always find that we take our trip right out aerification season in HHI and I can't bring myself to pay that price for less than optimal conditions.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Harbor Town of course! You pay a lot to get there, stay there, and play there. You are gonna let a couple $100 keep you off a tour course? That’s like spending money to travel to St. Andrews and playing “Glen Younkin!” For the rest of your life you’re gonna be telling golfing acquaintances that you played golf at Hilton Head and they will excitedly ask “how was Harbor Town?” To which you will respond “Oh, I actually played Boat Dock Kay, just off the island before you get to the bridge.” The table, collectively  “Uh, could we get another round?”

Atlantic Dunes by Davis Love III is a complete reconstruction of The Sea Pines Resort's historic Ocean Course, the first course built on Hilton Head. Featuring a pronounced seaside ambience and Lowcountry feel accented by coquina shells and seaside grass, it incorporates elements of the surrounding beachfront along with the area's bounty of native pines and oaks lining the fairways.  Greens fees today (02/04/22 run $175-$199.  If you are not staying on Sea Pines there is a fee to come on the island.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I really like Harbor Town but if not that then Old South. Every time we go down I think of those two first. I don’t know why Old South maybe it’s those target holes fit my eye. The price is right also. 

Edited by Joefreddy

May River - which actually is just off the island - is my favorite. Palmetto would be my second choice.

Driver: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg M5 Tour - 9* EvenFlow White 65, 6.5

3 wood: :titelist-small: TS2 15* degree EvenFlow White 75, 6.5

Hybrid: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg SIM Max 19 Tensei CK Pro Blue 90 TX 

Irons:image.png.f39ca0723463243d8b97c536861568ed.pngEpic Forged 5-A, Aerotech Steelfiber fc90

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 - 50* 54* 60*

Putter: image.jpeg.b8329ade9a91708e1ab3934981395cad.jpeg Scotty Cameron Newport 2