TESTERS WANTED! ×

Long-sleeve Summer Golf Shirt

tdc1

It was upper 80s today in mid-Michigan and getting hotter everyday.  Couldn’t play today but did have to mow my lawn.  I threw on an old Reebok PlayDri long-sleeve t-shirt to avoid slathering up with sunscreen.  Sure, it was wet by the time I was done but I didn’t feel over heated.  It made wonder why all my long-sleeve golf shirts are for cool/cold weather.

Anyone have suggestions for hot weather long-sleeve golf shirts?  I would much rather wear long-sleeves than do the sunscreen.  Also, I think it would complete the look with my bucket hat and cooling scarf. 😉

P.S.  Don’t worry, I’ll do the sunscreen until I find a good alternative form of protection.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

My wife has an issue with skin cancer, so it's either constant bathing in sunscreen or wearing long sleeve tops. She recently switched to UV 'sleeves'. She likes the lightweight fabric and says they're not as hot as wearing long sleeve tops. She just wears a regular short sleeve top over them. I've seen guys on tour recently wearing them. Nike makes men's sleeves - there are other's as well. Also note: these are not compression sleeves like you see some athletes wear - they're lightweight and designed for UV protection only. .

https://www.nike.com/t/solar-golf-sleeves-qNQ9v7

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I live in Scottsdale , AZ and I wear UV sleeves every time I am playing.  The best sleeves are made by Foot Joy because they don't slip.  I own some Nike sleeves but they become loose after washing so I do not recommend them.  Foot Joy makes them in white, grey, and black.  Don't be afraid to wear the black in summer .

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

My wife has an issue with skin cancer, so it's either constant bathing in sunscreen or wearing long sleeve tops. She recently switched to UV 'sleeves'. She likes the lightweight fabric and says they're not as hot as wearing long sleeve tops. She just wears a regular short sleeve top over them. I've seen guys on tour recently wearing them. Nike makes men's sleeves - there are other's as well. Also note: these are not compression sleeves like you see some athletes wear - they're lightweight and designed for UV protection only. .

https://www.nike.com/t/solar-golf-sleeves-qNQ9v7

I was going to suggest the sleeves as well.  This seems to be the go to strategy now at all levels.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Fellow Michiganer,

I have some long-sleeved sun protection shirts - from Coolibar, Ashworth and Carnoustie Tech.  Coolibar is the "thinner" of these, but all do have 50+ skin protection.

Of course, the sleeves get a little "clingy" with sweat.

Down the middle, partner!!

Woods: Callaway Epic Flash

Irons: Srixon ZX5/7 Combo

Wedges:  Vokey

Putter: Odyssey OWork

Ball:  Pro V1

14 hours ago, tdc1 said:

It was upper 80s today in mid-Michigan and getting hotter everyday.  Couldn’t play today but did have to mow my lawn.  I threw on an old Reebok PlayDri long-sleeve t-shirt to avoid slathering up with sunscreen.  Sure, it was wet by the time I was done but I didn’t feel over heated.  It made wonder why all my long-sleeve golf shirts are for cool/cold weather.

Anyone have suggestions for hot weather long-sleeve golf shirts?  I would much rather wear long-sleeves than do the sunscreen.  Also, I think it would complete the look with my bucket hat and cooling scarf. 😉

P.S.  Don’t worry, I’ll do the sunscreen until I find a good alternative form of protection.

I just wear the UV-protection sleeves that are made for golf and other outdoor activity (you’ll see a lot more LPGA players wearing these things than the men do, but I see some being worn on the PGA and Champions Tours).  However, if you want a good UV-protection moisture-wicking long sleeve golf shirt that is not too heavy to wear in the summer (I suggest that the limit is about 80* to 85* F for wearing these), UnderArmour makes some nice ones.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I'm a Rules Official, and was working a Girl's Junior championship, which included players from other countries. It was 100F+ during the day, with the heat index at 112. The girls from Asia and South America were all wearing the pull-on white sleeves that I've seen used during cooler weather. I asked one of the players in my group why they were wearing long sleeves when it was so unbearably hot. Here's what they said:

1. White sleeves reflect much more heat and sun than does tanned skin, so you feel cooler immediately.

2. The sleeves absorb perspiration and then the perspiration evaporates more slowly than it would on skin in direct sun, which prolongs cooling.

3. You don't need to use sunscreen.

4. The sleeves keep perspiration, (and the sunscreen you're not wearing) from running down onto your hands and/or glove.

One hot summer tournament in the past, Boo Weekly was wearing a fishing shirt. If memory serves the course had a stocked lake, it was Sunday, he was out of the running, and he had a rod&reel in his bag. But I digress ...

I found Columbia PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) Slack Tide shirts, primarily on Amazon. Unfortunately, Columbia discontinued them, but there are still some floating around if you are the right size. They are button up, spread/button collar, straight untucked tail, 50 UPF. They are simple, just one chest pocket, with good venting and air flow. I found a few long sleeve, and I wear UPF sleeves with short sleeved ones. If anyone asks, I tell them PFG stands for "Possibly Fair Golf."

I alternate 2 wide brimmed Coolibar hats, and use a UPF Umbrella on my ClicGear trolley to create my own microclimate. I use 50 SPF zinc oxide-based sun screen, and slather up the back side of the un-gloved hand. My dermatologist is a sometimes golfer who points out the need to take the time and effort, even if it is a PIA. Her criteria for a successful exam is, "Welp, nothing to cut off today."

Like many, I was "Too young foolish" on skin care and sun damage. Hopefully, I won't be "Too late wise." 

Edited by WhoaNellie

:ping-small: G425 Max D 44" set to 13*

:ping-small: G430 SFT HL  5W set to 20.5*

:ping-small: G430 HL 5 Hybrid set to 27.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL HALO Full Face 9I 38*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 ZipCore Full Face 54*

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11S 34"

:ping-small: Hoofer Craz-E Lite

Footjoy Sleeves (white or grey) are great! They are the only brand I've found that stays up around your arm...without falling down. Nike and Under Armour fall down, but Footjoy stays up and are great. When done playing, just take them off. Easy to wash on delicate and air dry. $30 and worth it.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

If your styling and like mock turtlenecks, look at Lands End Super T. It is essentially a light weight cotton t shirt but most courses will allow wearing a mock turtleneck style. They have long sleeves, and as long as you pick a lighter color, it's comfortable. I wear white and grey ones all summer here in Phoenix area. I also wear short sleeve ones with the separate sleeves as noted above. Also protects the neck from the sun. Bonus, they last forever.

Right now they are on sale, ridiculously cheap.

Men's Super-T Mock Turtleneck | Lands' End (landsend.com)

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I have a couple of Walter Hagen long sleeve polo's from Dicks Sporting Good. They do the job. I, also, have the Nike Arm sleeves, and, they work fine for me.  I may not be fashionable, but, since, I get a bad reaction from chemical sunscreens, I tend to cover up.

Edited by bellken

I've been looking at long sleeve fishing shirts and hats/neck sleeves from Hook & Tackle. Tee's to use under my many golf polo's or long sleeve fishing shirts. Their 50 UV protection along with cooling and wicking abilities makes sense for the golf course. 

Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW, AW Men's Right Hand, Standard, Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Steel Regular Flex

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815, Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 565, Regular Flex 

Dexterity: right-handed

Live in Fresno, Ca 93270

Current handicap 33.5 and slowly going down... 

Ball: Titleist Velocity Orange & TaylorMade Distance 

Putters: Odyssey O-Works Red #7S Putter; Odyssey Whitehot XG #9; Nike BC 101 Heel-Toe Putter

I wear long-sleeves all year round now. And live in an area of Northern California that gets over 100* regularly. The adidas clima-cool are the best for the summer. I’ve tried all the sleeves and don’t like them as much as a long sleeve shirt. Antigua and Columbia are very good as well. 

GLFWLKR

I have found that I'm cooler while wearing solar shirts or solar sleeves than with bare arms and sunscreen. I wear them for golf and working in my garden. Sunscreen doesn't seem to allow my skin to properly breathe and cool off in the heat.

Shirts - I have several colors of long sleeve solar cooling shirts from Under Armour and Nike. I like all of them. I can feel the cooling affect even when I first put them on. Since they are kind of tight fitting all over, I wear a short sleeve shirt over the top of them when. It doesn't seem to make me hotter to have on another shirt because of the way cooling shirts work. I also have one Coolibar long sleeve shirt that does not breathe enough for me to wear in hot months.

Sleeves - I purchased 2 pair of off-brand (Aegend) solar sleeves from Amazon. They worked ok but my arms would still tan through the fabric and the fabric started wearing out after 6 months. I have now purchased a much better pair of PGA Superstore brand solar sleeves that are thicker fabric than the off-brand.  I feel like they will last much longer. My son has a couple pairs of Nike solar sleeves which he likes and wears every time he plays. Seems like you get the quality you pay for.

I always hand wash the sleeves. I put my solar shirts in the washing machine but the instruction tags stated to hang them to dry.

Even with solar shirts or sleeves, when the Texas temperature rises to the high 90's, I pour water on my arms 2-3 times during a round for a little extra cooling.  With higher temps several of my lady friends and I keep a FrogTog towel in our coolers that we then wrap around our necks - ah that is wonderful!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Thank for all the input!  I've ordered a couple of sets of sleeves from different brands to try.  Will post an update after I give them a try.

Tim

I use the Nike white sleeves and I have now adopted a gator also white, not for Covid reasons but to wrap around my neck and chest amd cover my ears also

If I need it as a mask I have that option also, but I think thosee days are slowly coming to an end.

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

Posted the following a short time ago to the forum topic about UV arm sleeves:

"I ordered from two different companies and tried the first pair today — Columbia Freezer Zero.  They stayed up quite well (the top rolled down a little but nowhere near enough to interfere/annoy — never worried about them sliding down.

"When waiting on the group ahead I could feel the heat of the day but not more than I would have with bare arms covered in sunscreen.  When walking or when there was a breeze my arms felt significantly cooler.

"Three notes about the Columbia: (1) wide seam on inside of arm — did not leave a mark or become irritating but some might not like the look; (2) there is a definite bluish tinge to the white sleeves due to the cooling technology in the fabric; and (3) large Columbia logo on forearm of each sleeve.  None of these would stop me from buying again but I wasn’t fully aware of these until they arrived"

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great post. Someone should come up with long sleeved UPF sun shirts that are collared for golf like the UA fishing shirts are. I have worn some of the UA Fish UPF shirts to golf in and they're nice. Stays cool, and no sun screen needed where the shirt is.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

I wear NW Golf Sleeves SPF 50, cool & airy feeling—faster than sunscreen & not sticky. If you send them a selfie wearing their Golf sleeves, they’ll heap on tons of praise and send you a discount code & post your picture on their website.  Sleeves come in white, black, some patterns, & many colors, have a special nonslip gripper at the top. Very comfortable and much cooler than wearing my long sleeved SPF shirts. I also like Coolibar’s Zinc infused UV SPF 50 pants, but not fond of their women's styles in tops.  I live in Portland OR and we are having extremely hot weather, due to be 110 deg tomorrow, not golfing for a few days unless I get out at 6 am.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:48 PM, FlyingFree said:

I wear NW Golf Sleeves SPF 50, cool & airy feeling—faster than sunscreen & not sticky. If you send them a selfie wearing their Golf sleeves, they’ll heap on tons of praise and send you a discount code & post your picture on their website.  Sleeves come in white, black, some patterns, & many colors, have a special nonslip gripper at the top. Very comfortable and much cooler than wearing my long sleeved SPF shirts. I also like Coolibar’s Zinc infused UV SPF 50 pants, but not fond of their women's styles in tops.  I live in Portland OR and we are having extremely hot weather, due to be 110 deg tomorrow, not golfing for a few days unless I get out at 6 am.

Thanks for the tips. I also like Coolibar, but not their women's tops.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

• 1 month later...

Adidas has  UPF50+ base shirt that is made for summer that I have been wearing the last 4 years. They work great and I don't find them to hot here in Dallas.  I tired the sleeves and they keep creeping down my arms and drove me crazy. The shirt is like a t-shirt made out of performance material etc. I know that places like Solbari and Coolibar have there versions but the Adidas ones are less expensive and the last. I wear one almost every day. I have had Mohs surgery twice so I'm not allowed out with out something covering my arms, a big hat (Tilley) and long pants. 

• 1 year later...

About a month ago, I visited a PGA Superstore specifically to search for solar shirts. Mid-summer they start putting lots of summer clothing on sale. I purchased 8 long sleeve solar shirts from various brands, all at least 50% off. My guess is the discount it even greater now. Go - while they are still available.

PXG 0811 XF driver

• 1 year later...