Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Chevelle

Finding a good golf coach can be hard. I generally recommend looking for the pros that are more dedicated to teaching and instruction than just running a golf course. There are lots of pros out there that are good at golf and are good at identifying swing issues but they aren't all necessarily good at actually teaching. Most good golf coaches are PGA pros but that isn't necessarily a requirement. Depending on where you are located, see if you can find golf clinics that focus on teaching and maybe reach out to them. Typically they have pros that are actually good at the teaching part. Pros at your local courses may also be a good teacher but you would need to take lessons from them to find out if you like what they do. Word of mouth and reviews are a good resource but golf is a personal game so what works for others may not work for you.

I wish I had better advice but finding a good coach has an element of trial and error. I would add that taking lessons from any coach or pro is generally always better than not taking any lessons. I've personally always found the best pros are the ones that are good at asking questions and really good at selling you on their swing concepts. The most convincing and best pros I've ever taken lessons from will continually ask questions that really force you into understanding what they are trying to teach. They aren't just telling you to do certain things the whole time.

Another important note is to keep an open mind. There are very different ways to teach a golf swing with some more and less technical. Some pros teach concepts in ways that are totally different and that is okay. Not every pro is going to teach using technical details like having a straight left are or how to rotate. Some pros teach using more of a club based technique that is more mental where you focus on swinging the club on certain path or direction. Both methods are very effective and I will say that most pros tend to teach the more body based or technical approach as it is the most traditional. 

Best of luck finding a coach!

The biggest thing is finding a coach you connect with and explains things in a way you understand.  When I was looking for an instructor, I took a lesson and asked questions about what changes were recommended and how they would work to improve my game and what type of communication was acceptable between lessons.  Basically the first lesson is an interview.  Doesn’t even have to be a full lesson maybe a quick swing evaluation.   talk about you goals and objectives to see if they align.  For example, If you want a couple of quick fixes or a preseason tune up don’t pick an instructor that wants to rebuild you swing.   

you can always read reviews but just because they have good reviews doesn’t mean they are right for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Chevelle said:

Kansas King or CNOSIL. 
Is a launch monitor a must for the golf coach? 

I would say in general no but it depends on what you are working on and trying to accomplish, if the lessons are indoors, or how stubborn you are in believing what your coach is saying.   

For basic fundamental skills you don't need a launch monitor and can see things via ball flight.    If you working on fine tuning skills like hitting a 5 yard draw then yes a launch monitor is very helpful. 

A launch monitor should be used in a support role and not drive what you are doing. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, Chevelle said:

Kansas King or CNOSIL. 
Is a launch monitor a must for the golf coach? 

I agree with cnosil. I've never taken a lesson where a launch monitor is used. You and your coach both know what is good and bad without a launch monitor. If anything, I would say a launch monitor would muddy the water if your taking a normal lesson on a range. Trying to improve a golf swing and swing thoughts is hard enough already, I don't think looking at spin and launch numbers would help, especially in the middle of the lesson. The worst thing that could happen is if you were making good changes but for whatever reason there was an off number on the launch monitor causing you to question the changes. I really like LMs but for most people, it's best to keep lessons as focused as possible. If you taking a lesson indoors, then a LM would likely be necessary.

What is more common than LMs is pros taking video and showing you. This can actually be very helpful depending on how you learn. However, it's easy to slip into the easy habit of focusing on what is wrong instead of focusing only on what you should be doing. This is more the mental side but the best pros are good at leaving the old behind and getting you to solely focus on what you should be doing. This also helps prevent you from playing a game of whack-a-mole regarding making fixes to your golf swing. So many people always try to identify something wrong with their swing, then they find drills to help with it, then they will find another thing wrong, rinse and repeat. In my experience the good pros help avoid this as they can see your swing and generally provide good drills and instruction specific to your swing. This is why getting actual lessons is always far more effective than taking the YouTube approach.

Not to jump in, but I don't need a launch monitor to tell me I hit a good or bad shot on the range.  Typically, when I am getting a lesson, I am working on a new "feel" to correct something I was doing wrong.  When this happens, I hit a TON of bad shots, and that's okay.  You get worse before you get better.  I agree with the above though, find someone that can explain the mechanics on YOUR level.  My pro is amazing, I am an ex baseball player and he explains things to me as if I was on the baseball field.  That's what I need, if he were to explain it another way, I probably wouldn't be able to get the feel he wants me to get.  

I would also strongly suggest, once you find this person, stick with them.  Don't jump from coach to coach because someone is running a lesson special.  Keep the same person.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"