Smart sensors like Arccos or golf pad tags -- what would you recommend?

I'm using arccos and like them overall.  There was a sale on some cobra F9 irons over the winter and they have the arccos sensors built into the grips, which included a free registration to try it for 3 months.  To use the app, they sent free sensors for the rest of the clubs my bag as well which is really nice for getting people into trying out their system.

I've found that their support is very quick in answering request (updating courses, inquiries, etc), usually like 2-3 days at most if you e-mail, but they also have phone support.  The app works pretty well at measuring shots and giving out statistics, and I was able to use a samsung watch I had laying around to get quick distance reading without having to pull my phone up.

I feel like the recommendations/tips for improvement could be more in-depth. I don't feel like I've used their recommendations much for the improvements I've been making myself, I usually watch golf videos on youtube and have been working on my game from there.  The shots gained analysis does help in respect to where in your game you may want to look at next for the best improvement.

The only downside so far is that 2 sensors have died after a 3 month period (putter/driver) almost at the same time, and it's taken a little while to get the replacements shipped out, so I'm temporarily unable to track shots.  Seems like the items are being shipped from the UK according to the tracking info (I am in canada) so that factors into usability of shot tracking, but yardage to the flag can still be used.

TL;DR Overall I like them a lot, 4/5 stars, they'd get 5* if replacements were quicker and the improvement tips were more in depth.

• Like 1

I have the Arcos sensors and have not had a lot of success with them.  they miss alot of shots and without paying a second $100 for a belt sensor I have used myy iphone in my front pocket

I've had constant problems with overall missed shots.  phone is in front pocket microphone up.  I've spent a lot of post round time fixing errors

I've had Shot Scope since 2018, all sensors still work. Having checked stats using both systems, the amount and depth of data with Shot Scope is significantly greater than Arccos. No subscription for SS and I wonder if the putting data on Arccos is even useable without detailed review. 

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

I use ShotScope and love it.  Tried Arccos but much prefer ShotScope.

Clubs:

Mizuno JPX 800 irons 6 to 9 plus four Mizuno wedges 48, 52, 56 & 60

Krank Element Driver 12.5 degrees

Krnak 3 wood

Tittlest 910 5 wood

Ping 23 degree hybrid

Ping 23 degree hybrid

Ping Ketsch Putter

Snell My Tour Balls

Right handed

Live in Chicago IL Area

19 Handicap

Since no one is chiming in about the Golf Pad Sensor system I will jump into this conversation. I’ve used the Arcoss system, the GameGolf Live system, and now the Golf Pad Sensors.

The Golf Pad sensors themselves are fine but the app on the iPhone is just downright annoying. I’m around the 10th game with them so far and I’ve tried to find some way that makes them enjoyable. The main problem with the Golf Pad system is that your phones screen needs to be active for it to scan your tags.  I can’t speak for an Android phone but with the iPhone you can scan shots without being in the app with the screen on but it adds a few extra steps. Let’s just say I’ve been that idiot on the course who looks like he just spent 3/4s of the round on the phone. This is because the screen with shut off in your pocket or something else will interrupt the app. Obviously with the phone in your pocket you don’t know your phone isn’t in the right mode to scan so you end up trying 2 or 3 times before you give up or tag the shot some other way.  

The only way I can see these being remotely useable is if you have a belt clip for your phone so that you can put the app in the appropriate mode to scan. I’ve ordered a cheap one from Amazon and I’ll report on its effectiveness next week once I get it out on the course. 

You can use the Apple Watch app to track shots but that makes the need for the sensors nil. I’m pretty sure the Arcoss and GameGolf systems can both do that so Golf Pads $29.99 a year for their premium app features seems a bit high. 

I must say the Game Golf Live system was by far my favourite. The thing that forced me to switch was the battery lost charge around the 15th hole by the end of the 1st season with it and Game Golf wasn’t too supportive at the time to help me fix it. They then appeared to be going out of business and I started looking for another product. 

Hopefully that all made sense. I am, after all, the guy who will spend 3/4 of a round trying to track shots…..

3 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

I've tried a few, but have no experience with Golf Pad. I am tempted to try Garmin now that I have a compatible watch, but right now just have a 3pack trial that I haven't tested yet. Of the ones I've tried:

• Shot Scope: would be my top choice if they had a Garmin watch app instead of their own hardware. I found this to be very successful, but hated the watch - I have not tried the newer model that has a watch that looks way more comfortable. Customer service was good in my limited interaction.
  • Arccos: my current system (with Link). Going reasonably well. Misses shots here and there, but easy to correct within the app. Most common miss is number of putts, but that's true of others (Shot Scope has you tell it number of putts when you finish the hole; Arccos tries to automate it, and each round I have a handful of holes that are off in each direction). Customer service has been great. 
  • Game Golf Pro: unless they've made a ton of progress since release, avoid it. Didn't work at all for me (some rounds only picking up 5-6 shots total). Customer service seemed stretched thin and was not able to help much (back in 2019). 

I have used Garmin CT for the last couple of years. It’s solid, but I find it’s analytics are note even on the same level as Arccos. The shots gained and other analysis is very detailed on Arccos.  

However if you want avg distances for each club, analysis of each shot taken, etc. Garmin is pretty good.  The rough analysis of shots gained and the analysis of dispersion for tee shots, fairways hit, GIR, basic pitching / sand stats, number of putts, etc  on the Garmin is really more than I need right now.  

Also Garmin doesn’t charge annual fees or supplemental fees for its use, so it’s a cheaper alternative. Also no need to wear an iPhone, Apple Watch or the Link which is a bonus too.  I just have to wear the Garmin watch which I like since it’s relatively small and light and is fairly accurate. I supplement it with a Bushell v4 around the greens. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small:  TSi 3 9.0  Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  917 F2 16.5 3W Diamana 60  Reg

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70HY Reg 

:titelist-small:  4-PW 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 / 60 - KBS Tour Wedge

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png

I have the Arccos and it work pretty well.  Out of the box, I didn’t like the fact that you had to keep your phone in your front pocket for it to identify your shots.

I added the Arccos Caddie adapter for another $130 and it’s much better.  It’s a adapter that you connect to your phone via Bluetooth and clip onto your belt. The clip is in need of  a redesign as it’s too tight and will either break if you force it on your belt or it will fall off because you can not position it securely to your belt and you will lose it.  Another potential issue that you may have is attaching the sensor to your putter if you don’t have a standard putter grip. Think about grips like the Flat Cat or other grips that don’t have an opening on the top of the grip.

The Arccos app is great, it’s intuitive and easy to use.  The gps course mapping and course selection seems pretty comprehensive.  Great application for understanding your game and improving.

Ping G410 SFT 10.5*

Callaway Apex 2019 Combo irons 5-PW

Cleveland RX4 56, 50 

Maverick 3 Hybrid 

Epic 4 Hybrid 

Scotty Newport 2 Notchback

Bridgestone RX and Snell MTB-x (thanks to Mygolfspy)

7 hours ago, shankapotomus said:

Did you notice a significant improvement in reducing the missed shot rate with the Link? I used arccos with my phone and it felt like it missed nearly 50% of shots at times.

Honestly, I didn't notice a difference with the phone or link.  Both pick up nearly all my shots and neither were better or worse picking up putts.  Phone in the left pocket always worked for me, but I'm sure there are differences between models of phones.  

WITB
8º Calloway Epic Flash Driver
13.5º Calloway Mavrik Fairway Wood
20º Calloway Epic Hybrid
4-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Irons
56º Titleist Vokey Wedge
60º Titleist Vokey Wedge
Odyssey O-works 2-Ball Fang Putter
Snell MTB Black Ball
Arccos Caddie & Link

I’ve used ShotScope and Arccos. They both are great and provide useful info. I like ShotScope’s ability to distance hazards and their pin set function.

Arccos added the pin set recently and works on my Apple Watch, so I can track my heart and shots. One bad thing for me with Arccos is that I can’t use my hearing aid while using them. I need to wear my Apple Watch, so wearing two watches was funky.

These gizmos give a wealth of information and are worth it. The tags that don’t need batteries are nice (you could replace the batteries in Arccos V1). They aren’t fool proof and have their communication/tracking issues, but worth it. Give them a try!

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

16 hours ago, mbjusa said:

I have the Arccos and it work pretty well.  Out of the box, I didn’t like the fact that you had to keep your phone in your front pocket for it to identify your shots.

I added the Arccos Caddie adapter for another $130 and it’s much better.  It’s a adapter that you connect to your phone via Bluetooth and clip onto your belt. The clip is in need of  a redesign as it’s too tight and will either break if you force it on your belt or it will fall off because you can not position it securely to your belt and you will lose it.  Another potential issue that you may have is attaching the sensor to your putter if you don’t have a standard putter grip. Think about grips like the Flat Cat or other grips that don’t have an opening on the top of the grip.

The Arccos app is great, it’s intuitive and easy to use.  The gps course mapping and course selection seems pretty comprehensive.  Great application for understanding your game and improving.

Here is how I fixed the "Link falls off" issue

66D48767-BC2D-4030-8A5D-DAA3CFDCF6AD.jpeg

Wow! Great information everyone. Thanks for all of the comments. Sounds to me like ARCCOS or Shotscope are the 2 that I should investigate a little more for my personal use. After all, isn't anticipation 99% of the fun of buying a new toy?😃

MN Hacker just trying to improve 1 stroke at a time.

One more question...

Can you use ARCCOS or Shotscope on uncharted courses? The course we play is never found on any of these apps, but some allow you to play an uncharted course.

MN Hacker just trying to improve 1 stroke at a time.

52 minutes ago, minnmdz said:

One more question...

Can you use ARCCOS or Shotscope on uncharted courses? The course we play is never found on any of these apps, but some allow you to play an uncharted course.

Email Arccos customer support regarding mapping your course. 

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1
1 hour ago, minnmdz said:

One more question...

Two different pieces to this... I think you can look it up in their database to see if it's there without purchasing (just download the app?), and if it's not, request that they add it/map it -- this will allow you to use the device, see yardages, use caddie, track stats, etc. But the actual course images may be a totally different story, and if those are missing, it's going to be very difficult to use -- there might be a way for you to see the caddie view while playing, but I haven't found it yet (on Android). I am planning to reach out to CS about getting the images updated (or whether I can use the caddie view of the holes, but it might take some time for newer courses.

What I was working with in my last round -- how do you add/correct a shot with this?

image.png.8a3e60ca68354d03086a19494858d56c.png

Actual hole from Caddie Preview image (can view this prior to starting the round, and you can pull it up with the "Ask Caddie" feature, but I haven't figured out if I can layer this while editing or without using Caddie): 

image.png.7d1b53fd985e3945e42bf0b0fc13c6c1.png

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9* (adjusted to 10*), Accra TZ6 75 (American Flag), M5 Flex

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM, 15*, Accra FX 2.0 300F, M5 Flex

Driving Iron: :srixon-small: U85 2 iron, Fujikura Pro 2.0 8 HB, S Flex

Irons: :mizuno-small: 4-6:JPX-919 Forged, 7-PW: JPX-919 Tour. All with Nippon Pro Modus 120 S Flex

Wedges: :mizuno-small:T-20 Blue Ion 50.07, 56.10, 60.06

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5B 35" with Gravity Grip